Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

There are a lot of overrage players that score a lot in the "O", doesn't mean they turn into superstars. Put your pants back on.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Reilly311 said:
There are a lot of overrage players that score a lot in the "O", doesn't mean they turn into superstars.

Why don't you just answer his question?

Reilly311

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Why don't you just answer his question?

There is no NHL this year, so obviously he can't play. I don't even think he's signed yet.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
There are a lot of overrage players that score a lot in the "O", doesn't mean they turn into superstars. Put your pants back on.

That's true, a lot of overage players do end up scoring a lot in the OHL but Perry isn't one of London's overagers, Brandon Prust, Bryan Rodney and Rick Steadman are the 20 year olds on the Knights, Perry is 19.

As for Perry's NHL potential, I don't think he'll become a star player at the NHL level but I can see him developing into a decent 2nd line forward.

Last edited:

Reilly311

TJF said:
That's true, a lot of overage players do end up scoring a lot in the OHL but Perry isn't one of London's overagers, Brandon Prust, Bryan Rodney and Rick Steadman are the 20 year olds on the Knights, Perry is 19.

Cause his birthday isnt until Ma, regardless, he's played in the OHL for a long time.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Reilly311 said:
There is no NHL this year, so obviously he can't play. I don't even think he's signed yet.

well once again, you have managed to be WRONG. Keep up the good work buddy, you're adding a lot to these message boards. Did you go to McDowell HS? cause they're managing to put out a lot of stupid people! (or are you not even up to HS yet?)

As for the question, YES. I do believe Perry would have made the Ducks this year a long with a few other players such as O'Sullivan (wild).

Last edited:

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Well, Perry is extremly talented but he has to fill out his frame in order to play NHL hockey. One year with the Knights and he'll be ready.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Perry is signed (he signed along with Ryan Getzlaf on the eve of the lockout).

In training camp he would of been given a long look for sure. But there is also plenty of competition for roster spots from Anaheim's prospects.
Fedorov, Sykora, Rucchin, Leclerc, Niedermayer, McDonald, Lupul and Pahlsson are locks for spots. That leaves another 4-5 spots open. Burnett would probably be the 13th forward to keep opposing players honest. Chistov and Holmqvist would get pencilled in, with Chistov rebounding from a tough season with a strong AHL playoff and Holmqvist coming off of an injury that ruined his chances last year. Getzlaf, Kunitz, Glencross, Smirnov and Perry would all be in competition for those last 2 spots.
Getzlaf nearly made the team last year and has improved since then.
Kunitz was one of the top AHL rookies before being called up and would fit fine on the 3rd line.
Glencross has skill and grit and really impressed at the rookie tournament.
Smirnov would probably be given a chance to prove himself, he has all the tools to suceed just needs to put his mind to it.
Perry was impressive at the rookie tournament and his play down low is similar to that of now departed Prospal.

Would Perry compete for a roster spot: Yes
Would he make the cut: Probably not, I'd say Getzlaf, Smirnov and Kunitz are probably closer.
Perry is a player who would really benefit if he could of been assigned to the AHL. He doesn't seem to have much left to prove at the OHL level, but right now, he isn't going to be in an NHL lineup.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
forbesy said:
with Chistov rebounding from a tough season with a strong AHL playoff and Holmqvist coming off of an injury that ruined his chances last year. .

Holmqvist needs a very strong camp to retain a roster spot in Anaheim, personally I think he won't play in Ducks much more. Glencross is a much better choice for 4th line because of his grit & energy. Chistov is no good unless he has a spot in the first 3 lines which is far from certain.

Reilly311

Douggy said:
So because he's played in the OHL for a long time, he's less likely to make it to the NHL?

I don't follow you.

Look at Staal, Horton, and Nash as some example of good players drafted out of the OHL who played right in away in the NHL. The longer you stay in the OHL, the more and more you hinder your development as you're playing less talented players. Perry has nothing to prove in the OHL....except winning a championship :lol

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Douggy said:
So because he's played in the OHL for a long time, he's less likely to make it to the NHL?

I don't follow you.

Don't worry about him, I think he's proving his hockey knowledge or lack thereof with all these statments he's been making recently. I do get the feeling though that if Corey Perry was an Otter, Reily would be saying he'll be a sure fire superstar.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
Look at Staal, Horton, and Nash as some example of good players drafted out of the OHL who played right in away in the NHL. The longer you stay in the OHL, the more and more you hinder your development as you're playing less talented players. Perry has nothing to prove in the OHL....except winning a championship :lol

Man stop typing, so does that mean guys like Jason Allison, Todd Bertuzzi, Jeff O'Neill, Ryan Smyth, Jerome Iginla, Derek Morris, Eric Brewer, Nick Boynton, Scott Hannan, Brendan Morrow, Brad Stuart, Robyn Regher, Simon Gagne etc. all had their development hindered because they played junior hockey after they were drafted by an NHL team.

Get a clue man.

X-SHARKIE

TJF said:
Man stop typing, so does that mean guys like Jason Allison, Todd Bertuzzi, Jeff O'Neill, Ryan Smyth, Jerome Iginla, Derek Morris, Eric Brewer, Nick Boynton, Scott Hannan, Brendan Morrow, Brad Stuart, Robyn Regher, Simon Gagne etc. all had their development hindered because they played junior hockey after they were drafted by an NHL team.

Get a clue man.

I have to agree....There really is nothing wrong with not going pro so early.

Sure I've seen guys like Danny Heatley were they look board....but overall there is nothing wrong with making a guy earn it and pay his dues.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Cropduster said:
Would this guy have actually competing for an NHL spot this year? Numbers are looking good in the O

Probably not because I can't imagine both him and Getzlaf making the Ducks this year. Ducks have a lot of other young forwards ahead of him...Lupul,Chistov,Getzlaf,Glencross...so I think Perry was going back to the OHL, but I'm glad the Ducks gave him an entry contract and I'm glad to see he is doing so well this year with London.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
As for the original question, I agree 100% with what someone said earlier that he'd be considered but Anaheim is very deep in prospects. I think Perry would make a few other NHL teams that aren't as deep as Anaheim, but for this year he'll lead the league in points, has a good shot at World Jr team and hopefully bring the Mem Cup to London.

If he continues getting stronger he SHOULD make the ducks next year and could be a top 6 forward in a few years time.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Reilly311 said:

one more year in the OHL and winning a championship is fine. Next year at 20 he will play in the AHL so its ok.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
10 games played and he leads the whole league with 27 points, currently he's on his way to score measly 190 points or so over the season.

Thank god Lowe started playing hardball with Ducks in the Comrie-non-trade, it's looking better and better for the Ducks all the time. Somehow I think Oilers might want to take Ducks offer after all, despite being in the same conference.

Last edited:

Sammy*

Pepper said:
10 games played and he leads the whole league with 27 points, currently he's on his way to score measly 190 points or so over the season.

Thank god Lowe started playing hardball with Ducks in the Comrie-non-trade, it's looking better and better for the Ducks all the time. Somehow I think Oilers might want to take Ducks offer after all, despite being in the same conference.
I dont think sdo. Woywitka is way more of a sure thing to actually play in the NHL. Guys who have lit it up as 19 year olds in junior are a dime a dozen. By itself, it does not mean an awful lot.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Well here are the leading scorers of OHL from past 15 years or so.

1986 Ray Sheppard
1987 Scott McCrory
1988 Andrew Cassels
1989 Bryan Fogarty
1990 Keith Primeau
1991 Eric Lindros
1992 Todd Simon
1993 Andrew Brunette
1994 Jason Allison
1995 Marc Savard
1996 Aaron Brand
1997 Marc Savard
1998 Peter Sarno
1999 Peter Sarno
2000 Sheldon Keefe
2001 Kyle Wellwood

Primeau, Lindros, Cassels, Savard, Allison, Brunette, Sheppard, Fogarty...

Chances of him becoming a good NHL-player are pretty high, chances of him becoming a star in the NHL are also very good.

Sammy*

Pepper said:
Well here are the leading scorers of OHL from past 15 years or so.

1986 Ray Sheppard
1987 Scott McCrory
1988 Andrew Cassels
1989 Bryan Fogarty
1990 Keith Primeau
1991 Eric Lindros
1992 Todd Simon
1993 Andrew Brunette
1994 Jason Allison
1995 Marc Savard
1996 Aaron Brand
1997 Marc Savard
1998 Peter Sarno
1999 Peter Sarno
2000 Sheldon Keefe
2001 Kyle Wellwood

Primeau, Lindros, Cassels, Savard, Allison, Brunette, Sheppard, Fogarty...

Chances of him becoming a good NHL-player are pretty high, chances of him becoming a star in the NHL are also very good.
First of all, he has not won the scoring title. Second of all, depends on your definition of "pretty high".Half the guys on the list basically have never even played in the NHL on any sort of regular basis, never mind make an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad