Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
You're right, he has not won the scoring title yet, Locke had few more points last year.

"pretty high" compared to your random late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

7 players on that list are regular NHLers with long careers, 3 of them are stars in the NHL. Fogarty would have most likely made it without his alcohol problem.

Sammy*

Pepper said:
You're right, he has not won the scoring title yet, Locke had few more points last year.

"pretty high" compared to your random late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

7 players on that list are regular NHLers with long careers, 3 of them are stars in the NHL. Fogarty would have most likely made it without his alcohol problem.
Or maybe he finishes 2nd (or god forbid , worse) in scoring as these guys all did & makes the same impact.
86-Ron Sanko
87-Dave McLlwain
88-Len Soccio,
89-Stan Drulia
90-Stan Drulia
91-Chris Taylor
92-Brett Seguin
93-Bob Wren
94-Kevin Brown
95-Bill Bowler
96-Daniel Cleary
97-Joe Thornton
98-Jeremy Adduono
99- Norm Milley
00-Norm Milley
01-Jason Spezza

I think if you take the time to look at the top 10 scorers in any junior league(or the top 2 or 3 scorers for that matter) you will agree that its pretty much a long shot that just because you score alot, it means anything in terms of been a success in the NHL.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
My point was that not every top point scorer in CHL will become the next Simon Gamache and that top scorers in the OHL have become solid/good/great NHL players with good percentage (over 50% in the last 15 years). I expect Perry to win the scoring race this year but we'll see.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Perry is more than likely going to win the scoring race this year, the only thing stopping him would be making the Canada junior team which he would any other year, but this year he may be the odd man out due to the star studded team Canada will ice.

Or ofcourse if he gets injured, but I expected him to put up roughly 120pts in 66 or 68 games. He's on pace for 190, but he'll probably end up with 140 or so if he plays in all the games.

As for him making the NHL, i've already posted many times I expect him to be a 2nd line winger in a few years and maybe even 1st line material if all goes his way. At worst he'll be a superstar in the AHL but I expect him on the 2nd line in a few years.

jlowry_19

Oct 17, 2004
he has a good shot this year since corey locke is gone, and locke dominated the scoring the past two seasons, so maybe theres room for him to take over and have a new Corey in the lead.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sammy said:
First of all, he has not won the scoring title. Second of all, depends on your definition of "pretty high".Half the guys on the list basically have never even played in the NHL on any sort of regular basis, never mind make an impact.

The guys who didn't make it aren't 6'3" first-round picks with grit and decent skating ability. There's a *huge* difference between Perry and guys like Clarke MacArthur and Evan McGrath who are putting up big numbers but have obvious weaknesses that will limit their pro success.

Reilly311

MS said:
The guys who didn't make it aren't 6'3" first-round picks with grit and decent skating ability. There's a *huge* difference between Perry and guys like Clarke MacArthur and Evan McGrath who are putting up big numbers but have obvious weaknesses that will limit their pro success.

yeah, because theres never been tall, high scoring OHLers who've haven't made it :shakehead The smaller players that actually have skills are being overlooked for players with size and some skill, which is why the NHL currently has a dilluted talent problem.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
MS said:
Are you saying Perry has grit and can skate? You obviously have never seen him play. His skating has improved, and he has a very good shot and scores some highlight reel goals, but you can't ever use grit and Corey Perry in the same sentence. He simply doesn't have any.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
From what I've heard he has played grittier game this season, maybe the Ducks pre-season camp woke him up.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Charlie_Girl49 said:
Are you saying Perry has grit and can skate? You obviously have never seen him play. His skating has improved, and he has a very good shot and scores some highlight reel goals, but you can't ever use grit and Corey Perry in the same sentence. He simply doesn't have any.

I've seen him play twice I think so no I'm not an expert. But he certainly didn't seem soft - finished his checks, mixed it up a bit after whistles. His PIM totals are always fairly high and he's been in about 10 fights in his OHL career. 21 PIM in 10 games this year, almost all of which are roughing/fighting. I'm not saying he's a heart-and-soul guy but he sure doesn't seem to be hiding in the corners either.

I stand by what I said initially - using the fact that guys like Peter Sarno didn't make it as evidence that Perry will struggle is just wrong.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Peter Sarno is probably the laziest player I've ever seen, skilled as hell but attitude was piss-poor. He was also very soft, lacked size badly and was a puckhog compared to Perry.

Sammy*

MS said:

I stand by what I said initially - using the fact that guys like Peter Sarno didn't make it as evidence that Perry will struggle is just wrong.

As is the basing it on the fact he is a big point getter to say he will make it, be it #1 or #21 top scorer in the OHL.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Charlie_Girl49 said:

He was gritty at the Pacific Division Rookie Tournament. He isn't going to be an overly physical player when he plays in the NHL, but compared to the average Euro that comes over he will be Gritty.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Sammy said:
As is the basing it on the fact he is a big point getter to say he will make it, be it #1 or #21 top scorer in the OHL.

The point is that the chances of him making it are much better as a big point getter in the OHL.

He's currently on his way to a better point total and more PIMs than Lindros, Allison or Primeau ever managed in the OHL. This doesn't guarantee anything but it sure gives him better chances than average late 1st rounder.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Pepper said:
Somehow I think Oilers might want to take Ducks offer after all, despite being in the same conference.

Somehow I don't think that's true... Woywitka is performing very well at the AHL level, which instills a lot more confidence that performing at the OHL level. Not that I wouldn't love to have Perry, but personally I like the Woywitka/Schremp combo fine.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Charlie_Girl49 said:

Oh really Mr.McGrath, Perry is the most targeted player in the OHL and has always been the #1 target on London since Nash left a few years ago. This guy takes more abuse and punishment than anyone in the league. I'll admit his first 2 years in the league he got thrown around alot but last year and especially this year after being put on a very hard workout program by Mr. Spe***** (Knights trainer) he's been a lot tougher on the puck and thus doesn't take the abuse he use to, now he gives it back. He isn't the grittiest player in the league, but he does HAVE IT !!!

Reilly311

trahans99 said:
He isn't the grittiest player in the league, but he does HAVE IT !!!

I hope by "have it" you don't mean an OHL Championship, because he doesn't have one. :D

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Reilly311 said:
I hope by "have it" you don't mean an OHL Championship, because he doesn't have one. :D

Not yet, but wait till May when he'll have OHL Championship and Mem Cup championship. So you can dream on Reilley, your team will be lucky to get past the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->