Rumor: Corey Crawford offered 1 yr deal by Hawks

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Powers is Hawks beat writer

3.5M is hard to fit with cap unless someone is moved (Maatta , CDH or Saad) when you factor in having to re-sign Kubalik and Strome (Though it could also mean Strome is out which is possible)

Crawford will certainly request full NMC (Likely granted)

I want Crawford to retire a Hawk and if he is back next year I am fine with it

I was hoping more in 2.5M-2.75M range with full NMC

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
With the goalie musical chairs Armageddon that seems poised to go down, I have no idea what the market looks like for anyone at this point. I feel like he could probably get a second year from someone, even if not necessarily a higher AAV

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I would argue he should sign this because goalie market is overflowing this offseason with options

Maybe so but still, he can do better than a 1 year offer.

If I was him, I would wait until one of the teams who have 2 starters move them and sniff around for a 2-3 year deal.

Vegas, Pitts, Van are a few that come to mind....

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
He's been a good soldier for them and only 1 year is fine for both sides. He probably brings leadership to the group in addition to being a pretty good goalie still. Hawks not risking much but only doing 1 year.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
He’s 35 so he can have bonuses right? Make it like 2-2.5M base plus a bonus for starting 10 games or something easy like that. That way they can defer some cap til next year. I’m not sure what their situation looks like next year though.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I can see Detroit wanting to move some pieces to grab him too. How nice would their rebuild be with A plus caliber goaltending prospect? He's pretty much a can't miss.

Thats a bold statement but I have heard that he is the best goalie prospect since Price. Thats about the past 15 years.

Hell, if he is still on the board at 16 I wouldn't be blown away to see The Habs take him.....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He’s 35 so he can have bonuses right? Make it like 2-2.5M base plus a bonus for starting 10 games or something easy like that. That way they can defer some cap til next year. I’m not sure what their situation looks like next year though.

Yes he can have bonuses. Next year for them should be a bit easier with Saad coming off the books but they'll have some to re-sign. I think it would be smart for both of them to get something like that done. Crawford probably could get a team to give him two years but the window for that would be very short. Goalie openings disappear very quickly and it's just not a good bargaining position for Crawford to test the market.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If he wants close to what Khudobin will get, I think he should take this deal instead.

Best he could get is 1 year 2.5m with 2m performance bonuses IMO. Teams will be looking at 1 year of Andersen with 1m actual salary owed, or Khudobin at 2-3 years. If Montreal waited, they probably would have been able to offer him 1 year 4.5m.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
3.5 to stay with the Hawks? At 35, thats a hell of a deal.

I just wonder what Chicago's plan is post Crawford. There's nothing of worth in that pipeline.

Pipeline is very bare

Delia has upside and flashes talent but I dont see him as anything more then NHL backup

Hawks will need to address situation either this offseason (If Crawford does not sign) or next offseason

That is why I would like to see them pursue someone like Georgiev via trade if Crawford does not return

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I can see Detroit wanting to move some pieces to grab him too. How nice would their rebuild be with A plus caliber goaltending prospect? He's pretty much a can't miss.
Stevie does place a premium on goaltending, but I'm not sure if the Wings have any spare parts valuable enough to move into the early teens? We have four second round picks (thanks Chayka) and a boatload of cap space, maybe we try to pry the 11th pick out of Nashville by way of Turris? I'm pretty sure Nashville will keep the pick though, someone good will fall more likely than not.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

If I was him, I would wait until one of the teams who have 2 starters move them and sniff around for a 2-3 year deal.

Pitt would have zero interest....

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Thats a bold statement but I have heard that he is the best goalie prospect since Price. Thats about the past 15 years.

Hell, if he is still on the board at 16 I wouldn't be blown away to see The Habs take him.....

Thats all that anybody needs to read IMO. Look how good Price was against the Pens during the play-in. I'd give up a ridiculous amount of assets for a goaltender with that potential. I do think the "Russian factor" will force him down in the draft though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Those are some of the last teams that should go 2-3 years on a 35+ contract with the flat cap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's dirt cheap for a starting goalie, nvm one who was won Cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad