Rumor: Corey Crawford offered 1 yr deal by Hawks

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Yeah crawford probably takes the deal. He's at the age where there wont really be much better offers out there to disrupt the comfortability he and his family have in chicago. For a goalie he's also at the age where the wheels start to fall off and I'm sure the rest of the league is aware of that. Look at Lundqvist. Is he still an NHL level goalie? Sure, but you cant really hitch your wagon to him for too long or pin cup aspirations on goalies 35+.

Pekka Rinne in the same boat, in the cup final one year and boom a couple years later at 37, he's not even the playoff starter anymore and his numbers fell off the proverbial cliff with an .895 sv pct this year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I guess i still have nightmares about Crawford beating MN in the playoffs. Kane was great, Bickell had his moments, but Crawford beat us time after time when it counted. One of the great, underrated, clutch goalies of the past decade or so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess i still have nightmares about Crawford beating MN in the playoffs. Kane was great, Bickell had his moments, but Crawford beat us time after time when it counted. One of the great, underrated, clutch goalies of the past decade or so.

Those Crawford days are a few years ago now. He's still solid but can't stay healthy.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
2 years at 3.5m from Toronto will be a nice deal for him.

Looks like there will be good deals on goalies this off season. Probably good deals to be had on skaters too.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
There is no rebuilding when Kane/Toews/Keith are 31/32/37. We have to try to win now while these guys are still in uniform, no matter how awkward.
Oh ok. I guess they will be rebuilding ina few years then.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why would he go to the hawks? Aren't they rebuilding?

Why go to Leafs?

Staying in Chicago with only organization he has known as a 1A certainly more favorable then moving to play a year or two in Toronto IMO

Also with move to Toronto he would have to deal with hostile media/fans to levels he has never dealt with in Chicago

And dont think what happened to Steeger in Toronto may influence potentially other players who played with and are friends with Steeger

Last edited:

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Thats all that anybody needs to read IMO. Look how good Price was against the Pens during the play-in. I'd give up a ridiculous amount of assets for a goaltender with that potential. I do think the "Russian factor" will force him down in the draft though.

He's a good good who got overhyped for sure. I'm not an expert at goaltending by any means but a lot of his hype faded this past year and became more realistic.

Not as safe as Carter Hart or as Spencer Knight but has more upside. I wouldn't bet the farm on him for sure.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I have a question? Could Chicago not sign Crawford to the rumoured one yr deal at $3.5 million and the not extend him by two more years at say $1 million per to get his salary cap hit down to $1.833 per? Is that allowed? It'd make sense if legal but are their provisions against this in the CBA...I know that extensions can only be done in the final year of a contract...or would his salary cap hit still be $3.5 million this year and only $1 million in the next two?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He's most likely going to be the back-up to whomever they get.

There's too many goalies potentially being moved to comment who, because there's too many potential landing spots for Murray at the moment.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I have a question? Could Chicago not sign Crawford to the rumoured one yr deal at $3.5 million and the not extend him by two more years at say $1 million per to get his salary cap hit down to $1.833 per? Is that allowed? It'd make sense if legal but are their provisions against this in the CBA...I know that extensions can only be done in the final year of a contract...or would his salary cap hit still be $3.5 million this year and only $1 million in the next two?
They could sign him to a 3 yr, 7M deal structured 3.5/1.75/1.75. That would only get the cap hit down to 2.33M though. That's the maximum year-to-year difference allowed in the CBA. The lowest salary year has to be at least 50% of the highest year. I don't think they want to lock him up to a 35+ contract for that long though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad