Core 5 in games 6 & 7 (2019-2022)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
We looked at the only samples available under the big 4 era.
That's not true. OP cherry picked a couple specific games from a specific portion of the season in specific years.
The core four have underwhelmed and underdelivered in the playoffs. They have led us to 4 straight 1st round exits, by not being good enough.
The play of the core 4 are far down the list of reasons we've lost.
Crosby btw has also failed from 2019 to 2022 and hasn't been good enough.
It's a good example of how even the best player of a generation, one of the best players of all time, and a multi-time cup winner can have lesser playoff production for a stretch, and it doesn't mean they're incapable of winning in the playoffs, or even that they're playing bad during that stretch, especially when you ignore all context relevant to understanding why the raw production is lower.
Toronto has 2 years to contend
Toronto has a decade to contend.
Pull AM and MM career stats in elimination games and stack that against Crosby’s.
Yeah, 8 games was a pretty big sample. We should probably shrink it and cherry pick it even more.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
That's not true. OP cherry picked a couple specific games from a specific portion of the season in specific years.

The play of the core 4 are far down the list of reasons we've lost.

It's a good example of how even the best player of a generation, one of the best players of all time, and a multi-time cup winner can have lesser playoff production for a stretch, and it doesn't mean they're incapable of winning in the playoffs, or even that they're playing bad during that stretch, especially when you ignore all context relevant to understanding why the raw production is lower.

Toronto has a decade to contend.

Yeah, 8 games was a pretty big sample. We should probably shrink it and cherry pick it even more.
This isn't cherry picking games...this is literally the hump we can't get over.

We should be going through these specific games more so than who we are drafting, signing, trading, hiring, etc.

I also want to look at the goaltending and special teams and other stats that are of some relevance wrt these games.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I think the Core 5 has done enough, at least in terms of offence, in Game 6s (Game 4 vs CBJ); where I'd say they've come up short has been in the deciding games.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Looking at Makar, MCD, and Drai’s stats, can we really say our guys played great or even good?
AM and MM want to be the headline, the showstopper…but they just don’t have the stats to back it up yet, esp in eliminating games

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You’re so disingenuous it’s laughable. The arrogance that drips from your posts exposes your insecurities.

Pull AM and MM career stats in elimination games and stack that against Crosby’s. You still want to go down that road?
I was embarrassed for that poster but now I’m just looking at it as entertainment. Common sense is a rare attribute nowadays.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You’re so disingenuous it’s laughable. The arrogance that drips from your posts exposes your insecurities.

Pull AM and MM career stats in elimination games and stack that against Crosby’s. You still want to go down that road?

They honestly may beat Kucherov... I know he is laughably bad in game 7's (was 0-0-0 in 5 games)

Just saying great playoff performers don't always show up when it counts...

Reactions: mclaren55

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’d have to look up stats to see how that bares out over multiple years, but it feels like when the games get the tightest and series are on the line, top players often tend to neutralize each other and it’s the depth that ultimately decides who moves on

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Let me summarize this thread for everyone.

These four or five players suck.

We must trade them for players even worse.

So we can become a better team.

- Leafs HFBoards.

Reactions: Notsince67

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Last 2 playoff games of the season, 2019-2022, Crosby

7 games played - 0 goals, 4 assists

Conclusion: Crosby is obviously garbage, and will never win in the playoffs
Not so as Crosby has already won everything on the planet and is in his declining years
the comparison is not accurate
how highly paid core has won nothing……..nada……..not even a dam single playoff round……..EVER

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not so as Crosby has already won everything on the planet and is in his declining years
Crosby played at a 100 point pace this year, and was still quite dominant. That timeframe represents age 31-34. That is not a period of significant decline, especially for a player like that. Even through ages 26-28, he put up a 62-point pace through 7 series.

The fact that Crosby has won is the whole point. Just because a player goes through a stretch where their raw production is lower in the playoffs (for which there are pretty obvious reasons that people love to ignore), that doesn't mean they're incapable of winning in the playoffs or even necessarily that they're playing bad during that stretch. It even happens to the best player of a generation, one of the best players of all time, and a multi-time cup winner.

Reactions: kb

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Game 7 & 8. Marner was among the team's best. The problem isnt with him but the willful ignorance a few forum members
1657571689536.png
1657571774397.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad