News Article: Cooke hatefest

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
I don't laugh at those calling it reckless, just those who think it was intentional. I think the same about Subban on Staal - reckless, not intentional.

Anybody who's 100% convinced it was intentional or accidental is completely biased and should give their head a shake, period. Based on what I saw and where his skate was, I think he knew exactly what he was doing and that his next action could possibly result in an injury.

He could have also been just focused on the puck and it was a total accident. Just like many of the other coincidental injuries he's caused to star players :sarcasm:

Joking aside there is no way to know. I would really hope he did not do it on purpose, but my gut and his history all point to yes. Note that when I say do it on purpose I just mean bring his skate down with a bit a weight against Ks leg in hope to hurt him a bit. Not purposely cause that exact injury

Anyways I just want a win tonight. Guys like Cook will get their own at some point

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Anybody who's 100% convinced it was intentional or accidental is completely biased and should give their head a shake, period. Based on what I saw and where his skate was, I think he knew exactly what he was doing and that his next action could possibly result in an injury.

He could have also been just focused on the puck and it was a total accident. Just like many of the other coincidental injuries he's caused to star players :sarcasm:

Joking aside there is no way to know. I would really hope he did not do it on purpose, but my gut and his history all point to yes. Note that when I say do it on purpose I just mean bring his skate down with a bit a weight against Ks leg in hope to hurt him a bit. Not purposely cause that exact injury

Anyways I just want a win tonight. Guys like Cook will get their own at some point

Cooke's NHL career could very well be done after this season anyone. It's speculated that the Penguins have no intention of re-signing him, and I can't see anyone else giving him a contract at this point.

Max Power

Nov 15, 2005
Cooke's NHL career could very well be done after this season anyone. It's speculated that the Penguins have no intention of re-signing him, and I can't see anyone else giving him a contract at this point.

Hopefully you are right. I can see some dumb GM bringing him in though. There always has to be one guy that makes this kind of mistake

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

Now that's interesting. Has he really been that ineffective in his role this year or they just sick of dealing with his rep?

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
A question I have for Penguins fans:

You've all laughed at Sens fans for even suggesting Cooke would do this on purpose, despite Cooke already targeting Karlsson one other time and having a history of intentionally trying to injure players. However, in threads regarding Subban, a lot of you guys like to believe he intentionally used his skate to cut Jordan Staal in game one of the 2010 playoffs. The ones that don't, a lot fault Subban for being too reckless in this regard.

So my question is how can your fanbase say Subban did this on purpose or was at least reckless on the play, yet in a similar incident with Cooke (who actually has a reputation), you laugh at a fanbase for thinking the same?

Some pens fans say that, not all of them... Some say that Crosby's two headshots were intentional. Some believe in Bigfoot too, I am sure. Take a look at all the hits that have knocked out our superstars the past 3 years... some fans are up in arms over it, but most realize its a hard hitting fast game and injuries happen.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Now that's interesting. Has he really been that ineffective in his role this year or they just sick of dealing with his rep?

The problem is price, along with wanting to resign other players... If it is a choice between Dupruis or Cooke.... well that isnt taking much thought...

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

He's been alright, but he's noticeably slower and less physical. I think the rep is definitely a factor in it, though.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
A question I have for Penguins fans:

You've all laughed at Sens fans for even suggesting Cooke would do this on purpose, despite Cooke already targeting Karlsson one other time and having a history of intentionally trying to injure players. However, in threads regarding Subban, a lot of you guys like to believe he intentionally used his skate to cut Jordan Staal in game one of the 2010 playoffs. The ones that don't, a lot fault Subban for being too reckless in this regard.

So my question is how can your fanbase say Subban did this on purpose or was at least reckless on the play, yet in a similar incident with Cooke (who actually has a reputation), you laugh at a fanbase for thinking the same?

I think it has a lot to do in both cases with who was involved. Tyler Myers blew out Geno's knee two years ago on an awkward hit, yet no one really ever says anything about it...but Subban is an obnoxious, dirty player, so many jump to the conclusion it was a dirty play. Had this incident involved, say, Pascal Dupuis or Tanner Glass, and had the exact same incident occurred, I don't think most of you would be assuming this to have been intentional. Not saying you wouldn't be miffed about it, but I don't think there would be this completely over-the-top reaction about it.

But maybe I'm wrong.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
He's been alright, but he's noticeably slower and less physical. I think the rep is definitely a factor in it, though.
I thought Cooke was a really good player? Kind of like Ribero where their antics get them notoriety and no one cares how good they are. I swore last time I watched he was godly on the pk.

I want the Sens to get revenge, but only when Karlsson is in the lineup.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Cooke is a good hockey player, if Pitt doesn't sign someone else will.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Is Karlsson playing tonight ? I heard he was skating.

Also does Karlsson think cooke cut him on purpose ?

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
I thought Cooke was a really good player? Kind of like Ribero where their antics get them notoriety and no one cares how good they are. I swore last time I watched he was godly on the pk.

I want the Sens to get revenge, but only when Karlsson is in the lineup.

Should have gotten revenge the night it happened...

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
I think the intent of ANY hockey player is to administer enough pain to make another player either not be able to come back for their next shift or not come back as hard for their next shift.

Cooke has a history, but every player who has hit someone has one.

I do think his intent was to hit Karlsson to make him think about it the next time he went into a board battle .... as it should be for any player.

And although I can understand the Boston fans chiming in here, they seem to forget that Savard came back and played AFTER Cooke hit him. Matt Hunwick ENDED his career.

Milan the God*

I think the intent of ANY hockey player is to administer enough pain to make another player either not be able to come back for their next shift or not come back as hard for their next shift.

Cooke has a history, but every player who has hit someone has one.

I do think his intent was to hit Karlsson to make him think about it the next time he went into a board battle .... as it should be for any player.

And although I can understand the Boston fans chiming in here, they seem to forget that Savard came back and played AFTER Cooke hit him. Matt Hunwick ENDED his career.

He played, but was nowhere close to the player he once was. Cooke pretty much turned his brain into mashed potatoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad