News Article: Controversy Over Missed McDavid Calls During Oilers vs Jets Series

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't even find these games all that physical, at least not compared to the old days. What they are is cluttered. Clogged up neutral zones and packed near the crease.

Yeah, playoff hockey the last few years reminds me of the hockey being widely played in the "dead puck" era of the late 90s/early 2000s. Regular season hockey has recently been pretty good I would say, it could be better if they actually enforced the rules more, but its *significantly* better than playoff hockey at any point. Current playoff hockey is essentially unwatchable, so I don't watch it, lol.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, playoff hockey the last few years reminds me of the hockey being widely played in the "dead puck" era of the late 90s/early 2000s. Regular season hockey has recently been pretty good I would say, it could be better if they actually enforced the rules more, but its *significantly* better than playoff hockey at any point. Current playoff hockey is essentially unwatchable, so I don't watch it, lol.

I agree with this. It's hard to watch. It isn't the heavy-hitting or even pushing and shoving after the play. That always happens. What I can't believe is it is just clogging up the neutral zone and it is fully legal to slow a player coming through the zone with a hook, trip, hold , whatever. It is just a boring slow game. Both teams left just collapse around their goalie.

Reactions: TB12 and Aerrol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I actually enjoyed the regular season this year. The games were up tempo but still intense. Even games vs Ottawa, while one-sided in the end were often engaging as teh Sens have a bunch of young guys with both skill and heart.

Reactions: Aerrol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Last night one of the Classic NHL games was Game 5 of the 1984 Oiler-Islander Series. That was so much more exciting hockey than you see today. It was physical and fast with lots of scoring chances. It was far from mistake free thiugh so coaches today would have a fit.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Kouleas seems pretty convinced that this debacle of a Finals (and the playoffs in general this year) is should lead to more calls in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad