News Article: Controversy Over Missed McDavid Calls During Oilers vs Jets Series

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
What a BOGUS league this is...

Its so obviously mandated by the league from the top.
In effect, this is making teams overpay for star players. If the game is to even out the player's skill, the money should also be evened out. If a player like McDavid is able to be horse-collared throughout the playoffs, $12M may as well be better spent on players - say like Montreal has.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-mcdavid-non-penalty-calls-vs-jets/

How does it ever end? Do the owners need to step up?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Missed calls? I do not think there are any 'missed calls' ignored calls and game/series management calls yes, but 'missed' denotes a mistake where the guy just does not see the infraction.
If the refs are "seeing"the infractions against the marginal players, then yes, they certainly would be "seeing" them against the stars. I just think they are so concerned about game management that they figure if they give one team an inordinate number of the penalties over the other, the criticism and whining will be beyond belief (and it is on those rare occasions when it happens), so they're "conditioned" to manage the game.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
There’s only a handful of game breaking forwards in the league and 2 of them play for Edmonton. Most owners are probably fine with the elite players getting backpacked during the playoffs until they get an elite player and it’s happening to them.
Then we need a GM and owner to step up in this matter or he's wasting valuable $ on these guys. They were completely detained by the Jets in this series, and as the article says 30 missed calls on McDavid alone. We saw similar if not worse on Drai.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It's insane. The NHL is the only league that is biased against its stars.

Something that really should be pointed out too is it isn't just missed calls. The Jets only play the game they do because they know they won't make the calls. You can't just look at it in terms of potential powerplays. If they make only a few calls the Jets know they can't hook and hold, the whole game changes. If you don't make simple calls, then the whole game gets dragged down.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Missed calls? I do not think there are any 'missed calls' ignored calls and game/series management calls yes, but 'missed' denotes a mistake where the guy just does not see the infraction.

When people call them "missed" it drives me crazy because it implies innocent mistake, when that isn't the case for 90% of these situations.

Thinking about it more it is funny to me which calls they choose to "miss" and which ones they call by the book at all times. Like in Game 4 OT for example, they "missed" quite a few standard infractions (interference, holding, etc) due to game management, but they certainly never find a way to "miss" a puck over glass penalty. Why can't they just pretend they saw it hit glass like they pretend that a player wasn't tripped or wasn't interfered with?

When you think about it it's comically ridiculous that the book gets slammed down on the relatively inconsequential play of shooting the puck over the glass, but not an actual infraction that has the impact of inhibiting a player from scoring or preventing a goal. The league is so far gone in terms of how games are officiated that now we are down to largely irrelevant infractions being the only ones called while everything else is a go.

Last edited:

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
The NHL is a bush-league.

It doesn't treat itself seriously and nobody takes it seriously. It has one mandate. To neutralize its superstar talent and enact artificial parity through the directive of game management.

McDavid will eventually suffer another career threatening injury due to the abuse he puts up with and the NHL doesn't give a f***.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
4sQm1WI.gif

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Then we need a GM and owner to step up in this matter or he's wasting valuable $ on these guys. They were completely detained by the Jets in this series, and as the article says 30 missed calls on McDavid alone. We saw similar if not worse on Drai.
Totally agree. We have an owner that is filthy rich, who has the best player in the league, and then sits back in his ivory tower and moans about it privately to his buddies. I would think Holland and Tippett are well respected enough in this league that they can at least throw out a little bit of constructive criticism at the league.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

In effect, this is making teams overpay for star players. If the game is to even out the player's skill, the money should also be evened out. If a player like McDavid is able to be horse-collared throughout the playoffs, $12M may as well be better spent on players - say like Montreal has.

You need I think 2/3 of the BOG who speak for ownership to step up however that will never happen as at least half the teams need to hook hold and interfere to be competitive.

These are rich owners who want hockey played communist style where everyone is “equal”.

Sadly unless advertisers and networks pressure the league or the outdated fossils who run things now leave and we get forward thinking governance who want to grow the game by showcasing speed and skill and stars we get the shit hockey we watched last night with Refs who haven’t a clue.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

It will change when we no longer have huge stars, and have a team of grinders, and the mega stars play in NY or LA.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The NHL is a bush-league.

It doesn't treat itself seriously and nobody takes it seriously. It has one mandate. To neutralize its superstar talent and enact artificial parity through the directive of game management.

McDavid will eventually suffer another career threatening injury due to the abuse he puts up with and the NHL doesn't give a f***.

DeMelo stuck his leg out and nearly tore McDavids leg off in the last game and nothing. Not even a response from the Oilers players or coaches.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When people call them "missed" it drives me crazy because it implies innocent mistake, when that isn't the case for 90% of these situations.

Thinking about it more it is funny to me which calls they choose to "miss" and which ones they call by the book at all times. Like in Game 4 OT for example, they "missed" quite a few standard infractions (interference, holding, etc) due to game management, but they certainly never find a way to "miss" a puck over glass penalty. Why can't they just pretend they saw it hit glass like they pretend that a player wasn't tripped or wasn't interfered with?

When you think about it it's comically ridiculous that the book gets slammed down on the relatively inconsequential play of shooting the puck over the glass, but not an actual infraction that has the impact of inhibiting a player from scoring or preventing a goal. The league is so far gone in terms of how games are officiated that now we are down to largely irrelevant infractions being the only ones called while everything else is a go.

True. They are ignored, not missed.

Reactions: oilers'72

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

The Oilers need to budget $1,000,000 per year in fines from coaches players and management.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McDavid needs to be a player rep so he can voice his displeasure with the league more directly. That's the only way he's likely to see a noticeable change in the way the referees decide to call obstruction.

In all likelihood there won't be though because it's in the NHL's best interest for there to be parity.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm still a little traumatized by the one time Ken Hitchcock made a comment about the clutching and grabbing against McDavid during that half season he coached here.

Hitchcock didn't even go after the refs or rip the league, he literally just said it's a shame that he was being forced to fight through it all almost every single shift.

The next day everyone around the league lost their shit and i think we went through the next 2 weeks of hockey games of getting maybe 3 powerplays

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Instead of another article how about you show evidence. Make a package of all the infractions on McDavid so we can make em viral on social media embarassing the league. These writeups just male it sound like whining and excuses
One play in the last game three jetsgeld onto Conner at the same time. Was three penalties, not one called. The oilers can’t be quiet about this. They have too much money locked into assets that don’t get calls

Reactions: oilers'72

North

Jun 25, 2009
One play in the last game three jetsgeld onto Conner at the same time. Was three penalties, not one called. The oilers can’t be quiet about this. They have too much money locked into assets that don’t get calls

One of the things that pissed me off in the first game of the series was when Connor was trying to engage in a puck battle and I think Pionk was holding on to the back of his jersey so he couldn’t.

It was obvious because he was holding on around the neck/shoulder area.

As soon as they didn’t call that it was clear they weren’t going to call much.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72 and TB12

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm still a little traumatized by the one time Ken Hitchcock made a comment about the clutching and grabbing against McDavid during that half season he coached here.

Hitchcock didn't even go after the refs or rip the league, he literally just said it's a shame that he was being forced to fight through it all almost every single shift.

The next day everyone around the league lost their shit and i think we went through the next 2 weeks of hockey games of getting maybe 3 powerplays

It’s why I don’t get pissy about the coach or GM not saying anything.

It usually backfires.

It’s better now that the media is picking up the thread though.

Allowing all of this also backfired on the league because they could have had a McDavid-Matthews second round matchup.

One other thing I agree with is that Connor should be on the next Competition Committee. I think Friedman is the one who floated that idea. His reasoning was that Connor can’t complain in the media but maybe he could make some real change regarding the obstruction by being on the committee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad