Controversial Entertainment Opinions/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Controversial opinion-- Lyrics don't need to have any meaning whatsoever or even depth in order to be fantastic. The way that the words sound and lock together is more than enough. That thing that people make fun of Dylan for doing (see video below) isn't something he's ACTUALLY guilty of, for the most part-- Dylan's abstract songs are usually pretty meaningful-- but even if they weren't, there would still be a ton of value in that style, completely removed of meaning, IMO (in fact, sometimes meaning can detract from that value). Captain Beefheart does it better than anyone.

Still a hilarious movie moment, though.

One Dylan song that I think is the exception and is actually is somewhat guilty of doing that, however, is Gates of Eden. At least, I sure as hell can't make heads or tail of it.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That's exactly why I don't think it's real pretension, though-- It seems like does it just for ****s and giggles/just to see if he can rather than because he takes it seriously and thinking of it as some hoity toity thing. Seems almost more like he's just curious about it/has fun with it and intentionally annoying people who take it too seriously rather than actually being pretentious, to me.

True that makes sense too. Didn't think about it that way.
9321f82af44ed9f4befb419bfc7a5452.png

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
James Franco

Greatest talent of our time. His performance of James Dean was so spot on it was uncanny. He's gone from there to being a legit movie and TV star. Charisma all over the place, he can do comedy (Pineapple Express, deliver the best lines in a movie of comedians "This is my Milky Way". to serious movies and being in tone of the greatest mini series ever done in 11.22.63.

Then spends his free time going to University like UCLA learning to write. Nope not screenplays but actual full fleshed novels that are poignant, relevant of their time and artistically written. To the point I said if I didn't know the difference, James Franco's "Palo Alto" short stories could have been written by John Steinbeck or not.

But also knows great books when they come across his path and produces movies of it whether it is a hit or not. Cormac McCarthy's Child of God. Stephen King's 11/22/63 which is the greatest miniseries ever done bar none.

Then paints pictures on a professional level of talent. Sells them under a pseudonym so people don't just buy his art off his name.

If the guy ended up being the next Kurt Cobain I wouldn't be surprised. All the talent in the world.

I don'tmind Franco and commend him for taking such an interest in art and actually attempting to make some his own but I read a short story he wrote about Lindsay Lohan and I have to say I thought his prose to be horrible. It read like a first draft without any attention to the rhythm of the word with a lot of useless name-drops.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
I do agree that most of the book is on the same level. However, Dany's plot in Clash of Kings is unbelievably boring. It knocks the book down a couple pegs simply because of it.
I never found Dany very intresting tbh so that did not bother me very much. I also found a Dance With Dragons to be border line undreadable.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
I never found Dany very intresting tbh so that did not bother me very much. I also found a Dance With Dragons to be border line undreadable.

I agree. There were some good chapters that were enjoyable. But overall, I was never captured by any of the character's storylines. In the end, it felt like a chore to get through it.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They're just painfully average, safe, underwhelming, and overappreciated.

I predict that in twenty years, Coldplay will probably be what The Eagles are now.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
They're just painfully average, safe, underwhelming, and overappreciated.

I predict that in twenty years, Coldplay will probably be what The Eagles are now.

I kind of get the feeling they are practically already there.

Never was a huge Coldplay fan, but I do like some of their older stuff. Safe as they are I can't help but love Clocks' piano melody or the strings arrangement of Viva La Vida.

I kind of get the feeling that while the charting success is still very much there and perhaps bigger than the older days (at least here in North America), their actual relevancy in today's music scene feels so small they might as well be the Eagles. :dunno:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I kind of get the feeling they are practically already there.

Never was a huge Coldplay fan, but I do like some of their older stuff. Safe as they are I can't help but love Clocks' piano melody or the strings arrangement of Viva La Vida.

I kind of get the feeling that while the charting success is still very much there and perhaps bigger than the older days (at least here in North America), their actual relevancy in today's music scene feels so small they might as well be the Eagles. :dunno:
What I meant by the Eagles comparison was that I can see them being one of those bands that people will still inexplicably revere and somehow stand the test of time, despite not really being that worthy.

We don't know if we'll view Coldplay like we currently do The Eagles because we don't know yet that Coldplay won't just fade away into obscurity and become merely a forgotten relic of the past, which the Eagles still haven't.

I think they're similar caliber bands though, personally.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I think the Foo Fighters suck, but I respect them way more than any pop music garbage.

On that note, anyone who can't respect musical icons for their bodies of work...I can't take their opinion seriously. That's especially true for people who tend to always like whatever flavor of the month is popular at the time.

member 51464

I think the Foo Fighters suck, but I respect them way more than any pop music garbage.

On that note, anyone who can't respect musical icons for their bodies of work...I can't take their opinion seriously. That's especially true for people who tend to always like whatever flavor of the month is popular at the time.

Why respect them if they suck? By the way, I agree on the sucking.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Why respect them if they suck? By the way, I agree on the sucking.

I should clarify: I think their music sucks, but they're capable musicians. They obviously do their thing well and again it's not like they're a manufactured band without any of their own creativity. That said, I still can't change the radio station fast enough if they happen to come on.

If I just went off the cuff and said "they suck!" then I'd be agreeing that people who think that same way about my preferred genre or musical acts are credible. Sure, people can hate what I love but if they say, out of ignorance of the subject, that a certain band or guitarist sucks when they're well-respected or looked upon as a hero in the genre then it's just a worthless thing to say.

Maybe it's the (ex) musician in me, but most true musicians that I know give credit where it's due. Most of my musician friends aren't into metal at all, but when I show them certain things they're always into what they say as far as talent or musicianship is concerned.

For some reason, another huge band that popped into my head just now was Green Day. I'm not sure any of them could play their way out of a wet paper bag, and I can't stand anything they did past Dookie (that stuff or earlier isn't bad), but they can sure write a song.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I don't like the Foo Fighters either but I have to say, Dave Grohl comes across as the most genuinely nice celebrity I've seen.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I don't like the Foo Fighters either but I have to say, Dave Grohl comes across as the most genuinely nice celebrity I've seen.

He does seem like a cool guy. I give him bonus points for doing some metal side projects; they were pretty decent. Although, some of those originated as potential songs for the then-new Ozzy album, and I'm not sure how that would have turned out.

I'd bet most here don't care about Ozzy or if they do they're not too huge of fans that would mind either way, but when Zakk Wylde heard about that he threatened to kick Dave Grohl's ass :laugh: I back Zakk on that one. For the unfamiliar, one might liken that to (for the lack of thinking more than 5 seconds about it) Axl Rose asking Billy Joe Armstrong from Green Day to write for GNR and to have Slash play/record it for a new album. Blasphemy!

Foo Fighters are alright but I dont listen to most of their music.

I try not to say such and such is garbage even if I really dislike them, but I have to say, there are bands or songs that just cause me physical pain to listen to.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116865631&postcount=106

90% is not accurate but much more than a handful

Just looking at those names, yea...yuck. You know how it goes though, the most popular anything aims for the lowest common denominator. No surprise that the most popular music seems to be all the same, "everyone" seems to like whatever "they're told to", all at the same time, in cycles, etc. Overall though, whatever. Some people appreciate music, the creativity, artistry, etc. and others just like to be entertained. That's a tough thing to realize and get over when you're on the side that gets all the disrespect, though.

Last edited:

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Would it be controversial to say Walk Hard - Dewey Cox is actually one of the funniest comedies ever? I see it's not even a 7/10 on IMDB, but for me it's one of the funniest movies ever.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Would it be controversial to say Walk Hard - Dewey Cox is actually one of the funniest comedies ever? I see it's not even a 7/10 on IMDB, but for me it's one of the funniest movies ever.

I haven't seen it but that clip was funny. I'm not all that fond of Judd Apatow, but I find John C. Reilly excellent.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, of all the dumb-ish comedies out there, that one has alot of charm that's very underrated.

Love the Bob Dylan and Brian Wilson scenes.

NSFW

Wasn't too crazy about the Beatles scene though-- that one felt like just lazy name-dropping and low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad