Value of: Contracts extensions for Domi and Brodin

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I would like to ask both fan bases how much they think their respective guy will get for their next contract.

Domi is RFA this summer and Brodin is UFA the next year but can get an extension as soon as July 1st 2020.

The point is off course doing a trade based on both players. Knowing their next contract can off course alter the value and that way, we can adjust the trade with otehr minor pieces.

I think Domi would probably get around 6 M$ for 6 years while Brodin might command a bit more since he is UFA, say maybe 6,5-7M$ per for 7 years.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Not a snowball’s chance in hell Brodin approaches 7M for 7 years.

5.5x6 is my bet. Maybe up to 6 if he does hit the open market.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Not a snowball’s chance in hell Brodin approaches 7M for 7 years.

5.5x6 is my bet. Maybe up to 6 if he does hit the open market.

I'd say 6x6 also, I like shutdown Ds and from what I have seen and heard Brodin is everything I like to see in a Dman but shutdown D get less than puck movers on average.

For Domi I believe either a bridge 4-5mx2 or a LT 7mx7.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I'd say 6x6 also, I like shutdown Ds and from what I have seen and heard Brodin is everything I like to see in a Dman but shutdown D get less than puck movers on average.

For Domi I believe either a bridge 4-5mx2 or a LT 7mx7.

I agree shutdown D get less. But as far as Domi is concern, he still has 2 RFA years. I doubt he gets 7M$ per.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I agree shutdown D get less. But as far as Domi is concern, he still has 2 RFA years. I doubt he gets 7M$ per.

But he would have gotten them if he had performed like last year, that's why he believe he will push for a bridge but since Bergevin overpays for everything (Price,Kinkaid, Chiarot, Alzner, Weal...), not sure he won't give him the 7x7 straight away...

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
But he would have gotten them if he had performed like last year, that's why he believe he will push for a bridge but since Bergevin overpays for everything (Price,Kinkaid, Chiarot, Alzner, Weal...), not sure he won't give him the 7x7 straight away...

yeah maybe. But let's say if he was signing a bridge to 4,5M x 2. That means the 5 last years on a 7 years deal would be a AAV of 8M$. That's just insane numbers for a guy like Domi.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
yeah maybe. But let's say if he was signing a bridge to 4,5M x 2. That means the 5 last years on a 7 years deal would be a AAV of 8M$. That's just insane numbers for a guy like Domi.

More insane than close to 5m for Alzner or 10.5m for a goalie (or than forgoing a 2nd for Kovy and getting a 3rd hoping he would resign for more than 3m next year) ?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The real challenge for Montreal will be how many years you tie up; and the unknown of whether you're dealing with a 70 point forward that's having a down year, or a 50 point forward who had 1 great year.

If you go 2-year bridge, he walks right to UFA, so I don't believe the Habs do that.

If you go with a 5+ year deal, he's going to look at what young 60-70 point guys with grit are getting ($6-7m for all RFA years -- see Boeser & M. Tkachuk), and say "you want 3 UFA years, add from there".

My guess -- one of two things happen. They go with a 1-year bridge to see just what kind of player he is -- something to the tune of $5m, and then work on a 7-8 year deal at big money if he proves himself as a 70 point guy.

Alternatively, I can also see a 3-year deal at something around $6.5m; which will allow the Habs 3 years to try and put a good team around him, and for both he and the habs to figure out just what kind of player he is.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I can’t really comment on Borodin but I will say this that Domi shouldn’t be in the 7 million dollar conversation IMO. Domi has decent point production usually 40-50 ish range but had a career year last year.

Unless he is willing to accept this fact he is likely signing bridge deals until UFA. I see him in the Ehlers ballpark on a 6x6 year deal.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
More insane than close to 5m for Alzner or 10.5m for a goalie (or than forgoing a 2nd for Kovy and getting a 3rd hoping he would resign for more than 3m next year) ?

You are right about Price. Alzner was a totally different situation.

That being said, thats why i think Domi will be traded. Because you can't give him those numbers with Tatar, Danault and Gallagher to resign the next year. Trade Domi for a top 4 lhd so you don't have to live with that situation.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Salaries have gone up. IF Brodin has the same type of season that he is having this year, next year, then 8/50M or 7/45M is possible. That contract will age well, as will Brodin.

Domi...well, MTL has to figure out who he is. I am guessing that he is a 55pt., #2C. Those guys are valuable....he will make about the same as Brodin. Maybe a bit more risky, but he is younger.

As far as trade I can see there be an argument for just having a straight across trade, but personally, I wouldn't do it. I trust Brodin and his game more than Domi and his, and for all that MN has some other really good Dmen, I think Brodin does, and will in the future contribute something unique to the team that is hard to find. I would rather trade Dumba to another team for another C or high end C prospect, as I think that his skillset is more replaceable in house.

Many Wild fans disagree with me.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
You are right about Price. Alzner was a totally different situation.

That being said, thats why i think Domi will be traded. Because you can't give him those numbers with Tatar, Danault and Gallagher to resign the next year. Trade Domi for a top 4 lhd so you don't have to live with that situation.

Only trade Domi if CJ continues playing him 3rd line, IMO he is the closest thing MTL has to a 1st line center. I have said it many times, MTL has a great 1st line, except it is not a first line, it is a 2nd line on a contender's team ;) You need outstanding offensive production from your first line and except Domi nobody can produce that at the moment and he won't if he plays with Weal and Lekhonen every game.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Salaries have gone up. IF Brodin has the same type of season that he is having this year, next year, then 8/50M or 7/45M is possible. That contract will age well, as will Brodin.

Domi...well, MTL has to figure out who he is. I am guessing that he is a 55pt., #2C. Those guys are valuable....he will make about the same as Brodin. Maybe a bit more risky, but he is younger.

What would you think a deal around those two players would look like (both coming with extension of course) ? 1 vs 1?? an add from 1 team??

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What would you think a deal around those two players would look like (both coming with extension of course) ? 1 vs 1?? an add from 1 team??

He’s probably going to suggest an add from Montreal. I think if our management decides Domi can be a center here, 1 for 1 is fine. If our management decides he can’t play center here, there wouldn’t be a deal made to begin with.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Only trade Domi if CJ continues playing him 3rd line, IMO he is the closest thing MTL has to a 1st line center. I have said it many times, MTL has a great 1st line, except it is not a first line, it is a 2nd line on a contender's team ;) You need outstanding offensive production from your first line and except Domi nobody can produce that at the moment and he won't if he plays with Weal and Lekhonen every game.

I guess that's depends on how we see each player. Maybe trading Drouin for Brodin would be a better idea. In that case, i would go for a bridge deal for Domi.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I guess that's depends on how we see each player. Maybe trading Drouin for Brodin would be a better idea. In that case, i would go for a bridge deal for Domi.

Drouin is a non-starter for the Wild.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Straight across is fair. Maybe add a gross of Kleenex boxes and a case of Scotch for Jesus Brodin and I. I am less than enthused about Domi, and very enthused about Brodin, both now and going forward, but Domi would certainly fill a need.

No Drouin. C's only! I suspect that Guerin would not do such a deal, though. Word is that he values Brodin quite highly.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He’s probably going to suggest an add from Montreal. I think if our management decides Domi can be a center here, 1 for 1 is fine. If our management decides he can’t play center here, there wouldn’t be a deal made to begin with.

I would do the 1 for 1 deal

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Straight across is fair. Maybe add a gross of Kleenex boxes and a case of Scotch for Jesus Brodin and I. I am less than enthused about Domi, and very enthused about Brodin, both now and going forward, but Domi would certainly fill a need.

No Drouin. C's only! I suspect that Guerin would not do such a deal, though. Word is that he values Brodin quite highly.

Drouin is a non-starter for the Wild.

That's what i thought.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ekholm is 2-3 years older than Brodin. They have some similarities, and Ekholm can be very good, but i'll take Brodin's, age, athleticism and skating over Ekholm's size and offense.

I believe that Brodin would be a 35-40 pt. dman if he got regular PP TOI. With the Wild, he will never get it.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Ekholm is 2-3 years older than Brodin. They have some similarities, and Ekholm can be very good, but i'll take Brodin's, age, athleticism and skating over Ekholm's size and offense.

I believe that Brodin would be a 35-40 pt. dman if he got regular PP TOI. With the Wild, he will never get it.

I agree, Brodin's age makes him a good candidate to sign him to a 6-7 years deal without risking major downgrade in his play before the end of his contract.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
At this point he is getter better, not worse. One of those well preserved Swedish types. He looks faster to me this year than ever, which is saying something. Would be a great mentor for Romanov, and take the pressure off him to deliver right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad