News Article: Contract talks for Senators’ Matt Duchene: update - no numbers [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Acquiring Duchene at the deadline could be huge for a team who wants to have the inside track on signing him July 1st.

With Duchene turning 29 during year 1 of his next contract, the ability to offer an 8th year would present a major tactical advantage to a team attempting to convince Duchene to sign with them on July 1st.

I've heard analysts state that 8 years with an 8M AAV is an offer in line with the best offer Duchene could expect. I would disagree.

An 8x8 offer is 64 million, meaning the AAV of an equivalent offer on a 7 year term would be about 9.14M per season. Duchene is easily getting offers in excess of 9 million on July 1st. Tavares received offers in the 12-13 range, and Stamkos back when the cap was in the low 70's was rumoured to have been offered something like 12 from Buffalo. Point being, it's rare for a top line center to be available, and even if Duchene is far inferior to those two players, he doesn't need a 12 or 13 million dollar offer to beat out 8x8 in pure value, he needs something above 9.15 million.

I'm hoping the advantage of the 8th year will be enough to make teams more aggressive than they might be with a traditional rental at the deadline. If a team acquires Duchene at the deadline and is willing to pay Duchene up to 10 million per on an 8 year term, that puts rival teams in a position where they would have to offer something in the 11.5M AAV range over the max 7 years to compete with an 8 year contract. This is assuming bonuses and trade protection are all equal throughout competing offers.

If a deal with an extension built in is not on the table, it will be important for the Senators to identify a team with the capability and mutual willingness to get Duchene extended, because it would bolster the return if there are conditional elements to the trade.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Acquiring Duchene at the deadline could be huge for a team who wants to have the inside track on signing him July 1st.

With Duchene turning 29 during year 1 of his next contract, the ability to offer an 8th year would present a major tactical advantage to a team attempting to convince Duchene to sign with them on July 1st.

I've heard analysts state that 8 years with an 8M AAV is an offer in line with the best offer Duchene could expect. I would disagree.

An 8x8 offer is 64 million, meaning the AAV of an equivalent offer on a 7 year term would be about 9.14M per season. Duchene is easily getting offers in excess of 9 million on July 1st. Tavares received offers in the 12-13 range, and Stamkos back when the cap was in the low 70's was rumoured to have been offered something like 12 from Buffalo. Point being, it's rare for a top line center to be available, and even if Duchene is far inferior to those two players, he doesn't need a 12 or 13 million dollar offer to beat out 8x8 in pure value, he needs something above 9.15 million.

I'm hoping the advantage of the 8th year will be enough to make teams more aggressive than they might be with a traditional rental at the deadline. If a team acquires Duchene at the deadline and is willing to pay Duchene up to 10 million per on an 8 year term, that puts rival teams in a position where they would have to offer something in the 11.5M AAV range over the max 7 years to compete with an 8 year contract. This is assuming bonuses and trade protection are all equal throughout competing offers.

If a deal with an extension built in is not on the table, it will be important for the Senators to identify a team with the capability and mutual willingness to get Duchene extended, because it would bolster the return if there are conditional elements to the trade.

The Islanders.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
If the Islanders can get Duchene to agree to an extension, though, his value rises sharply, at which time Dobson might be in play. It's why NYI is a more attractive trade partner than Winnipeg or Nashville, both of whom likely view Duchene as a pure rental.
If Dorion knows Duchene has agreed with NYI to an extension.

Reactions: topshelf15

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Jeez lmfao. So, until Matt duchene proves himself in the playoffs, which are quite hard to come by in the first place, NOTHING of substance should be acquired for him. So we should expeeeeect a 4th round pick aaaaannnnddd liiiiiike a 2020 5th?

Hey man ... All I did was relay someone's message ... which was this:

"Islanders are already on the winning track though. Duchene doesn't really add anything to a playoff team, so I can't see why they'd offer anything substantial for him. He's basically a guy you'd want on a smallish-fanbase team to bring in eyeballs. Until he proves himself in the post-season there's no reason to give up anything of substance for him."

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
f*** I need some rumors. Going crazy waiting for this f***ing shoe to drop.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Didn't you say you were going to post something?

I asked how to go about posting something if I got something. I am hoping to hear something (like Fenix, I'm eager for things to just happen), but the people I know are being very tight lipped.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

Still haven't been proven wrong. Duchene has never been part of a winning system and has never demonstrated the two-way play necessary to be a true leader. He can be your star attraction but expecting him to be a leader is a stretch.
Teams won't sell the farm for him, but hey, perhaps I'll be cosmically wrong and we'll get multiple high-end prospects, a top pick and a body as well.

Plus, you're messing with team chemistry as well, so...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
They have decent pieces like Mete and Suzuki, but they’d take a pretty big hit to their prospect pool. It would be dumb for a bubble team to do that.

They'd have to give up this year's 1st, a 2nd AND a 3rd as a starting point if it was a sign n' trade.

Definitely a bad idea for them, and I don't personally care that much for any of their prospects.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Habs would have to offer something like this year's first, Suzuki and Mete for a signed Duchene getting traded within the division.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The Habs have no decent parts. It’ll be a boat load of meh

2019 first + Josh Brook ABSOLUTELY has to be the basis

Then some combination of Nick Suzuki, Cale Fleury, Ryan Poehling, Victor Mete, MTL 2nd in 2019, Columbus 2nd in 2019

Imo no need for Mete and Poehling since we have Lajoie/Tychonick and White/Norris/Chlapik/Tierney but could be additional assets we eventually use for an upgrade.

In the end, the goal is not to have the most assets possible but the best 18+2 roster possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad