Rumor: Contract Extension for General Manager Chuck Fletcher

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
Fletch is the best thing that has happened to this club ever.
He stepped into a situation that was in total shambles. Risebrough sucked as a GM IMO.

He stocked the shelves with actual talent when all we had was nothing but scrubs, and crappy draft picks. Suter/Parise sighnings were pure genius along with every moves he's made.

Sign him up long term

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Besides the Leddy deal I can't point to a lot of other negatives.

after the leddy trade and missing the playoffs at least 3 seasons & picking 2 rookie coaches i was getting frustrated w CF. however the team is improving & looks like we should make the playoffs for the 2nd yr in a row so yes CF deserves an extention. nobody bats 1000 & nobody bats zero. ps anybody is better than DR, well except maybe garth snow.

Billy Mays Here*

Fletcher has earned his extension and then some, now let's see if Yeo can earn his the rest of the season/playoffs.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
...and then you end up with AJ Thelen, Benoit Pouliot and James Sheppard.

Pouliot was considered a risky pick. He shot up in his draft class and had red flags over him. Thelen, I'll give you but I wanted Stafford in the draft. Sheppard never developed right and was rushed.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Enough with the Leddy trade already. He's a third pairing D man. If he wasn't from MN no one would care.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Pouliot was considered a risky pick. He shot up in his draft class and had red flags over him. Thelen, I'll give you but I wanted Stafford in the draft. Sheppard never developed right and was rushed.

I disagree. Pouliot, at the time, was considered the BPA of a very weak draft after Crosby. Granted, there were some concerns about his drive and work ethic, but there are very few 18 year olds that don't have some concerns.

Thelen also was not considered a risky pick at the time...and is why I would caution those that pay too close of attention to those pre-draft rankings.

Last edited:

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Enough with the Leddy trade already. He's a third pairing D man. If he wasn't from MN no one would care.

pouliot & shep did have good #s in juniors & size. development by DR & staff somehow failed imo. asking me to forget about the leddy trade will never happen.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Can basically say this is confirmed now. From Friedman's 30 thoughts

24. He won't discuss it, but Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is getting an extension. Fletcher gets the most attention for signing Zach Parise and Ryan Suter, but Minnesota's drafting and development looks good too. Ultimately, that determines an organization's success in a cap world.

Billy Mays Here*

Fletch should get a 10yr extension IMO.

No, no GM ever deserves that long of an extension. Five years at the most, and even that is pushing it. No reason to give huge extensions when you can just do it a few years at a time. A 10 year contract gives the GM more security and less willingness to perform to his best. A few years at a time keeps him on his toes and makes him think more about how every move he makes is going to impact the team.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
GM is the position where you don't want the guy making moves with his job security as a #1 priority; that's where you get in trouble. He's shown enough to be extended, but isn't bulletproof either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad