Post-Game Talk: Continued afterglow of win in LA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Too early for a new pre-game thread and the GDT is at capacity plus we'll just keep the complaining about the ASG in its own thread, so why not continue here?

WITHOUT CHEATING who has the highest and lowest +/- on the team now? (Usual caveat of +/- doesn't mean much, blah blah).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
My guess is McLeod for highest, he was very high last time I looked. Lowest? Ummmmm... Was Soderberg for a while but likely not anymore. Tanguay?

Edit: I just looked. How did I not guess the lowest correctly?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Iginla far and away has the worst +/- I recall answering that correctly last time and it's only gotten worse. In fact I don't think anybody is even in his realm of negative.

As for best... I'm going to say it's either McLeod or Grigorenko, but I'll pick McLeod

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah I knew Iginla had the lowest by far,

I'm guessing Barrie is either the highest or up there, either that or it's someone like Redmond lol.

Doh... I was going to pick him but couldn't bring myself to do it lol

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yes McLeod is tied for the highest, that's one correct. Weird, hockey DB has someone one higher than McLeod but the Avs site has them tied. Anyway, it's still the same answer. No, it's not Grigo anymore either but he's close. Yes, Iggy is a sparkling -17.

We'll do a bonus, who has the highest in San Antonio?

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yes McLeod is tied for the highest, that's one correct. Weird, hockey DB has someone one higher than McLeod but the Avs site has them tied. Anyway, it's still the same answer. No, it's not Grigo anymore either but he's close. Yes, Iggy is a sparkling -17.

We'll do a bonus, who has the highest in San Antonio?

Holy crap. Plus minus is a flawed stat, but that's just awful. Especially since the next closest guy currently on the team is Barrie with a -4.

Mostly due to him not scoring 5 on 5 this year. His D has been about what it usually is/isn't.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Holy crap. Plus minus is a flawed stat, but that's just awful. Especially since the next closest guy currently on the team is Barrie with a -4.

Mostly due to him not scoring 5 on 5 this year. His D has been about what it usually is/isn't.

I can't wait for his final year! He'll look amazing...

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
RobinDIF said:
I think the improvement of Holden gets exaggerated a bit around here. He is having his best season out of his three with us. He still has same flaws and same strengths. I think the key factor is that last season, he played more than 50% of his minutes with Brad Stuart. This year he has played 700 out of his 942 minutes with Tyson Barrie. That makes a huge difference. I know people don't really think Stuart was as bad as I think last season. But it's a massive difference switching from Stuart to Barrie as your main partner. And it's also a better pairing, less puck-handling for Holden. That's where most of his brainfarts came from.

JUST TO REMIND:

Holden SUCKED when playing with Barrie last season, he was BY FAR the worst Dman on the team, he actually looked a lot better latter in the season when he and Stuart became our shutdown pairing after the EJ injury.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
JUST TO REMIND:

Holden SUCKED when playing with Barrie last season, he was BY FAR the worst Dman on the team, he actually looked a lot better latter in the season when he and Stuart became our shutdown pairing after the EJ injury.

Yeah, he and Stuart both carried a big load down the stretch last season when we were making a push for the playoffs.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Tempted to guess Bigras because I don't think he's been on the ice for an even strength goal against, but I don't think he's had enough goals for yet. I'll guess Johnny Mitchell?

edit: nevermind, just looked it up.

Last edited:

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Holden seems to be one of those players that plays better with more ice time. Of course I'm not advocating for playing him 25 minutes a game on the top pair but his best stretches seem to be when he's played a lot. If he's on the bottom pairing he's usually more noticeably bad. Maybe it has to do with getting into the flow of the game? But I would say his 3 best stretches were

Minnesota series
Holden Stuart last year
This year in increased minutes with barrie

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
Holden seems to be one of those players that plays better with more ice time. Of course I'm not advocating for playing him 25 minutes a game on the top pair but his best stretches seem to be when he's played a lot. If he's on the bottom pairing he's usually more noticeably bad. Maybe it has to do with getting into the flow of the game? But I would say his 3 best stretches were

Minnesota series
Holden Stuart last year
This year in increased minutes with barrie

Holden seems to have better confidence... its the chicken and egg thing, does his better play allow for the better Confidence or ...

I think it is a cycle, they influence each other but now we know a guy with a good attitude succeeds under Roy.... given he has some level of skill.

Well, how about the nhl handing out game suspensions for non attendance? yep and it actually helps us this time around,..... Dutchii better go!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
What's most impressive about McLeod's number is that a good chunk of his minutes some on the PK.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
What's most impressive about McLeod's number is that a good chunk of his minutes some on the PK.

It actually makes it easier since GA on the PK don't count against +/- and SHG count for a +1. The top four +/- guys on our team all kill penalties: Holden, McLeod, Grigorenko, and Tanguay.

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Hopefully the allstar break gives us some time for our players to be away from one another and the flu to pass through our team.

EJ hasn't looked himself when he's sick, and we really need him.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
So is the curve more or less pronounced than before? Would be interesting to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad