Continental Airlines looking to cut wages by 500 million to survive - sound familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The Iconoclast said:
My logic is flawed? How. Explain it to me. Where does all this money come from that makes Tampa a BIG market team? Tell me about the economy and where the corporate sponsorship deals come from? Tell me what the corporate support is and why the Lightning will get support over other more attractive propositions. Please, tell me where I'm wrong.

You think that because some blue hair retires in Florida that he's going to run right out and buy season tickets to the local team? Keep dreaming. He may buy tickets when HIS team comes into town, but that's about it. You don't have a clue buddy. I lived in Tampa. I know several of the Lightning front office. My company had a sponsorship agreement with the Lightning. I know the business climate in Tampa and where the dollars go. Hockey is so far down on the pecking list it isn't even funny. But go ahead, tell me logic is flawed and educate me why. I'm waiting.

:madfire:

It's quite simple actually. Tampa used to be a losing hockey team and now they are the Stanley Cup Champions. This on-ice success means that demand for tickets will increase which means that the owners will be able to sell their tickets for more money and thus increase their revenue. It works that way in just about any legitimate NHL market. This was true in Vancouver and as another poster mentioned this was true after Florida made a run to the Stanley Cup Finals.

It's likely true that the Lightning will never be as important to Tampa Bay as the Bucaneers are but that doesn't mean that the Lightning can't be successful. The Cowboys are the kings of Dallas but the Stars were still successful. In each case fans and corporate sponsors want to see their team win and were willing to jump on the bandwagon. We've already seen the Lightning put over 20 000 fans into their rink during the playoffs and if it wasn't for the lockout they would be riding that momentum.

Lanny MacDonald*

ColinM said:
It's quite simple actually. Tampa used to be a losing hockey team and now they are the Stanley Cup Champions. This on-ice success means that demand for tickets will increase which means that the owners will be able to sell their tickets for more money and thus increase their revenue. It works that way in just about any legitimate NHL market. This was true in Vancouver and as another poster mentioned this was true after Florida made a run to the Stanley Cup Finals.

It's likely true that the Lightning will never be as important to Tampa Bay as the Bucaneers are but that doesn't mean that the Lightning can't be successful. The Cowboys are the kings of Dallas but the Stars were still successful. In each case fans and corporate sponsors want to see their team win and were willing to jump on the bandwagon. We've already seen the Lightning put over 20 000 fans into their rink during the playoffs and if it wasn't for the lockout they would be riding that momentum.

Actually, its not that simple. Tampa didn't "pack 'em in". In fact there were tickets available game day for the Stanley Cup games. And all season long the Bolts were running rediculous promotions where they bordered on giving the tickets away to get some buts in the seats. There is a loyal following of Boltheads, but it is not a large number. The Lightning really have grind away to get interest in the team. There is just way too much to do in Florida that the Lightning have to compete with. Given that the State is football mad and that Yankee Spring training eats up two months of the season, it is a massive challenge to get the fans in the building. Its tough to compete with the Bucs and the Yankees, especially with the tradition these clubs have in the community as well.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
ColinM said:
It's quite simple actually. Tampa used to be a losing hockey team and now they are the Stanley Cup Champions. This on-ice success means that demand for tickets will increase which means that the owners will be able to sell their tickets for more money and thus increase their revenue.

It's likely true that the Lightning will never be as important to Tampa Bay as the Bucaneers are but that doesn't mean that the Lightning can't be successful.

He wasn't saying that there won't be some increases in attendance, etc. He's questioning the *level*.

They can be successful, but they won't ever be one of the big fish financially.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
DR said:
and so what if they rise again .. there is nothing wrong with expecting a system that allows your salary to increase even if the companies profits dont.
dr
Clearly you have no idea of economics.

Were not talking about a raise of a few thousand like in normal jobs, were talking about increases of millions which will affect the viability of the business.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
PecaFan said:
He wasn't saying that there won't be some increases in attendance, etc. He's questioning the *level*.

They can be successful, but they won't ever be one of the big fish financially.

Wasn't the same thing said about about Colorado circa 1996-97? Like Tampa Bay, Denver is a city with over 2 million people and has to share the spot light with the NFL and MLB. It was such a small market that in the the early 80s they lost their team to New Jersey. When the Rangers made that offer to Joe Sakic many people worried Colorado would be unable to match. However, additition revenue from playoff dates and raising ticket prices to capitalize on increased demand for tickets kept that team successful.

What exactly is different about Denver in 1996 than Tampa Bay in 2004?

Brent Burns Beard