Continental Airlines looking to cut wages by 500 million to survive - sound familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy*

nyr7andcounting said:
Yes obviously, which is why the players were willing to offer a 24% pay cut.
Which they & the owners knew that it would be recovered (& more) in short order. That is why the players were not prepared to guarantee that same ratio of salaries to revenue would continue in the future & that is why the owners rejected it.

Lanny MacDonald*

DR said:
ok, so then lets see the owners shut down their teams. it wont happen.

dr

WTF do you think is happening right now? :shakehead

Lanny MacDonald*

nyr7andcounting said:
OK...so why won't the NHL build salary controls in their system? You can't tell me that airlines are making "caps", they reach a level of payroll that works for them through the kinds of things that translate to the NHL putting in an entry level cap, getting rid of the 10% auto raise for RFA's, salary rollbacks etc. In no company, in any industry, is a hard salary cap needed in order to enforce salaries.

That's what they are trying to do at this time. Put in place salary controls. The only time they can do it is when the CBA is open for negotiation. Otherwise its called collusion.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
That's what they are trying to do at this time. Put in place salary controls. The only time they can do it is when the CBA is open for negotiation. Otherwise its called collusion.

Ok and my point is there are other ways of controlling salaries than simply putting a hard cap at the point at which your willing to pay salaries to. There are plenty of things that this CBA could include.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
The Iconoclast said:
WTF do you think is happening right now? :shakehead
no, they have not shut down their team. they have initiated a work stoppage. im talking about shutting down their franchise and closing up shop.

they wont do it, so lets stop saying it could happen.

dr

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
Salaries won't be back to what they were in 2 to 3 years if you implement a system that prevents inflation of salaries. Why do you say that salaries would be back at their current level?

If the players believe the salaries will stay in range after the 24% cut, then why not guarantee it through a salary range for each team? Because they know that the salaries will rise again over that salary range (or cap, call it what you will). Otherwise, their position doesn't make any sense.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Smail said:
If the players believe the salaries will stay in range after the 24% cut, then why not guarantee it through a salary range for each team? Because they know that the salaries will rise again over that salary range (or cap, call it what you will). Otherwise, their position doesn't make any sense.
and so what if they rise again .. there is nothing wrong with expecting a system that allows your salary to increase even if the companies profits dont.

do you tie your increase to whether or not the company you work for makes money or not ? i know i sure i dont. and you seem rather bright, so i dont expect you work in an entry level dime a dozen position.

dr

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
eye said:
Buying a championship like the Yankees or Red Sox have done means very little to me.

The lazy, predictable - and INNACCURATE - cliche of the anti-union demogague. Please, do just a modicum of homework and come back with something original and correct to bolster your POV. :speechles

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
DR said:
and so what if they rise again .. there is nothing wrong with expecting a system that allows your salary to increase even if the companies profits dont.

do you tie your increase to whether or not the company you work for makes money or not ? i know i sure i dont. and you seem rather bright, so i dont expect you work in an entry level dime a dozen position.

dr

Globally, if the industry doesn't make a profit, sooner or later, salaries (or jobs) will be affected. Hence, the player's interest is that the NHL makes a profit on the long term. Now, I'm not saying that players don't have their self interest at heart and shouldn't try to bring home whatever they can. But they still have to keep in mind that what keeps the league operating (if we go by economic logic) is that the owners can expect a profit out of its operation.

Besides, the owners want to tie player salaries to revenues. Revenues do not equal profit. Also, the % would have to be negociated every cba, so the players could always adjust to get a higher % of the revenues in due time. The nice thing about negociations like these (CBA) is that it generally tends to equilibrate the owners profit level to what the market would allow for a similar risk in investment. If the owners make too much profit, it will be in their interest to reach an agreement closer to the profit they should make, as the lost revenues from the lack of operation of the league would drag them to a lower return on investment than the market anyway.

On another note, we are talking about restricting the global salaries, not the individual salaries. Players will still be able to get whatever they feel they can within the system, which seems fair to me. They will be able to position themselves accordingly depending on the salaries paid to other players they feel aren't as good as them.

A Good Flying Bird*

The Iconoclast said:
And in most cases the employess become partners in the airlines and have salary controls built into the agreements. You are about to see another mid market carrier (US Air) disappear because the unions refuse to play ball and are looking out for only their own selfish needs, not the health and prosperity of the comapny and the industry itself. ATA just closed the doors for the same reasons. How many more examples do you need before you wake up and see the harsh reality that is today's economy?

This is all nonsense.
The airline industry is unhealthy because the big airlines, who serve many markets, have been pecked away by the small airlines which concentrate only on profittable routes.

Lanny MacDonald*

Newsguyone said:
This is all nonsense.
The airline industry is unhealthy because the big airlines, who serve many markets, have been pecked away by the small airlines which concentrate only on profittable routes.

Really? Care to explain the failure of so many of the small guys then? This should be entertaining.

Lanny MacDonald*

Trottier said:
The lazy, predictable - and INNACCURATE - cliche of the anti-union demogague. Please, do just a modicum of homework and come back with something original and correct to bolster your POV. :speechles

Inaccurate? In what way? Would you like to argue that big spending is tied directly to long term continued success in the world of sports? Would you like to go head to head on year to year success and the correlation between spending lots of money and making the playoffs?

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Trottier said:
If the Yankees win next year would you say they bought the championship?

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
The Iconoclast said:
Inaccurate? In what way? Would you like to argue that big spending is tied directly to long term continued success in the world of sports? Would you like to go head to head on year to year success and the correlation between spending lots of money and making the playoffs?

There's a correlation but it is good management which produces winning which later produces the large payrolls. The correlation is not that large payrolls causes winning. This is also why Tampa Bay would go from being considered a small market to a large market within the next few years. Their good young talent will continue to be successful and ownership in Tampa Bay will be able to pay for it with increased revenues.

Lanny MacDonald*

ColinM said:
There's a correlation but it is good management which produces winning which later produces the large payrolls. The correlation is not that large payrolls causes winning. This is also why Tampa Bay would go from being considered a small market to a large market within the next few years. Their good young talent will continue to be successful and ownership in Tampa Bay will be able to pay for it with increased revenues.

Tampa is going to go from small market to big market? How? What revenue streams are they going to find to support this "large market" approach? I'm very curious.

Brent Burns Beard