Confirmed with Link: Conte Out as Director of Scouting

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774427

“David and I have had numerous discussions regarding his future. Based on our conversations, I believe it is in the best interests of our organization for David to pursue other opportunities and to not renew his contract,” said Shero. “I would personally like to thank David Conte for his 31 years of service to the New Jersey Devils organization. His contributions to the success of the hockey operations department have been immense. The search for his successor will begin immediately.”

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We all know Devils Dominion will be dancing for joy.

Not surprising, didn't expect him to last after the draft. Still, he and Lou have provided us a lot to be happy about over the years. People can say what they want, but it's sad that this is how everything had to end for Lou and co. I wished for a better ending as I'm sure we all did.

All the best to David in any future endeavors.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I hope we will have a new one by the prospects game. Any thought on a replacement?

Hopefully not one of the guys that was part of Shero's horrible drafting in Pittsburgh...but odds are it will be, which I hate. Especially after what could well be our best draft in the last decade.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
It's crazy he was working here for 31 years. The man deserves to retire! Congrats to him on a great career though, 3 cups and 5 finals appearances as Director of Scouting is pretty good. :handclap:

But this was overdue.....

:banana:

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
Who do you think are possible replacements? Probably someone second in line to a director of scouting in another org I would think.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
This really sucks...I know the Devils draft record hasn't been great recently, but I think they owe a lot of their success to Conte and his drafting. Personally, I was hoping he would stay on...

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Now I know Lou is officially out and Shero is not a puppet. Lou was way too loyal to Conte. Thanks for your service David.

Lou has a ceremonial position at this point. It was pretty obvious from the get go. Don't get me wrong. Lou's input still carries weight, but it's a far cry from his former powers.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Hopefully not one of the guys that was part of Shero's horrible drafting in Pittsburgh...but odds are it will be, which I hate. Especially after what could well be out best draft on the last decade.

I wouldn't necessarily say it has to be. Offhand, this reminds me of Dean Lombardi taking over the Kings just before the 2006 Draft. He did that draft with incumbent head scout Al Murray then let Murray and other scouts go a few months later. Lombardi brought in Mike Futa who at the time was the GM of the OHL's Owen Sound. Futa is still currently with the Kings.

Steve Yzerman was hired just before the 2010 Draft and changed the scouting staff soon after. He coincidentally hired Al Murray who had spent time with Team Canada's junior program after he was let go by the Kings.

Lombardi had ties with San Jose/Philadelphia before going to the Kings, but Futa was an unrelated hire. Similarly, Yzerman apprenticed with Detroit but probably couldn't bring over too many of their scouts.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Hopefully not one of the guys that was part of Shero's horrible drafting in Pittsburgh...but odds are it will be, which I hate. Especially after what could well be our best draft in the last decade.

I wouldn't be surprised if he brings someone in from the USNTDP

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

I'm with you on this, especially about the part about hoping that the new head of scouting won't be affiliated with Shero's drafting in Pittsburg. Don't want to see another Penguins hire in this position, please and thank you, Shero.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Damnnnnnn. I mean everything that we have complained about in the past two or three years is essentially being taken care of. It's still crazy to see these legends move on... Conte, Lou, Brodeur, Stevens....

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Damnnnnnn. I mean everything that we have complained about in the past two or three years is essentially being taken care of. It's still crazy to see these legends move on... Conte, Lou, Brodeur, Stevens....

It's like someone of significant clout reads these boards. Crazy assumption. I know

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
31 years that's pretty amazing. When Lou became more or less a figure head I wondered when Conte would get his walking papers. Let's hope his last draft was a good one. Many years ago I thought he would succeed Lou as GM. Good luck David.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad