OT: Considering Moving to Pittsburgh~!~Educate me like Im 4

CurseOfKavorka

Jun 23, 2009
Great White North
Hey guys so all my life I've wanted to live in Pittsburgh, I'm a Canadian who went to school in Michigan, graduated, gained dual citizenship and got a job. Seeing as how I've always wanted to live in Pittsburgh I'm seriously considering making that move at the end of summer. I recently turned 26 and with the roots I've established in Michigan from school to my job to friends I feel like if Im gonna do this I should do it soon.

Why Pittsburgh? My Uncle (cousins) live in the Pittsburgh area (Gibsonia) and both my parents, siblings everyone are huge Pittsburgh fans and love the city. I go to my Uncles twice a year for Thanksgiving and in the summer, as well roadtrip there for the occasional Pens game. For my sisters and I weve always since childhood talked about living there.

That being said I don't know much about actually living there, the suburbs, etc. I really only know about the Gibsonia area and downtown Pittsburgh, not much else at all.

So my question is where in Pittsburgh are the good spots to live, what places are primarily white good communities (I know it sounds bad), safe, good places to live. What are the areas to avoid?

Shed any light on Pittsburgh, where to live suburbs, possible apartments in said places, anything you feel is important for someone making a move like this. Thanks guys, I appreciate it, Go Pens.

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
If you like city living and have a good budget... Shadyside, Southside, Strip District.

Suburbs.. Mt. Lebo, Green Tree, Cranberry, Wexford among others.

Avoid the Hill district and East Liberty.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
With the quote 'Explain it to me like I'm a four year old", shouldn't you be moving to Philadelphia?

Heh, that movie quote just came to mind.

I grew up in the Pittsburgh suburbs, and many people who say they're from Pittsburgh are children of suburbia.
As far as prices go (this is from relatives who still live there), the suburban sprawl has moved out quite rapidly, so it really depends on age/what you're looking for. Monroeville used to be what North Huntingdon is now, for example.

Raising a family? I'd suggest north or east of the city, stay out of Allegheny county for tax purposes (though other counties are catching up) and for better school district/property tax ratio. If you're going to be working downtown and have a small or no family, living in the city can be lots of fun. As a poster above suggested, Squirrel Hill and Shadyside are great - but extremely pricey.

My .02

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
If you're looking for a place where you can make good money, save money (unlike DC/NYC), and be able to afford a house... Pittsburgh is for you.

The quality of life here is great and your $$ goes a long way. In a place like NYC, you can't really afford buying a house and/or a luxury car until your mid 30's / 40's. In Pittsburgh, that is very possible even in your 20's.

However, since you're in your 20's (like yours truly), I must tell you that Pittsburgh is a relatively boring city for that age demographic. Key reason = the population in Pittsburgh skews old (think 50+) and towards folks who have families. There isn't a large population of single young people who are working. I'd say that the majority of the young people in Pittsburgh are attending college. So being a young professional around here who isn't married /w kids is somewhat like being a unicorn.

The nightlife is probably 5% of what a place like NYC/DC offers and the best activities around here involve going out to restaurants / sporting events.

Also - the pool of single people is relatively low, so if you're looking to meet someone I would suggest moving to a larger city.

Despite all of the social drawbacks, I feel like Pittsburgh is a great place to be. Good standard of living, economy is strong, houses are affordable, and the people are incredibly nice. For someone who is just starting out in life, this is a great place to be.

TLDR:

Pros: stuff is cheap here especially housing, your $ goes a long way, people are nice, one of the best sports town in US, great food
Cons: lacks excitement, very bad if you're young and single

Last edited:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Well lil guy, Pittsburgh is a wonderful city full of nice people. It's in the state of Pennsylvania. It has two rivers that makes a third river. Crazy, huh? They like football, baseball, and hockey, and all teams wear the same colors! Neat! Also, some people in Pittsburgh put French fries on their sandwiches, just like you do!

They'll all be happy to meet you whenever you arrive. They love new Pittsburghers!

... Sorry.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Depends on your style of living. South hills is a bit more of a large city suburb style (not much land, houses closer together, etc.). If you want minimal yard work, etc and don't mind a little bit of a busier area, the south hills may be for you. I much prefer the north hills. Lots of areas you can have 1+ acres and it just seems a bit more rural. Obviously if you go far enough south (into Washington county) you can get that in the south hills as well.

I currently live in Wexford and love it. The house prices are decent (~130k) and you can be within 5 minutes of everything you need and still feel a bit secluded.

That said, I'm 24, going on 25 and like Cassius said, there isn't much to do if you aren't an old soul at heart like me. If your style is just to go to a bar with some friends, and drink Craft beers, Pittsburgh is definitely for you.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
here's where NOT to live:

-Anywhere in an Eastern suburb in Allegheny county. Exception is Edgewood, which is great. Once you get out of Allegheny out east, you hit Murrysville, which is nice.

- anywhere in "mon valley", which are the old industrial towns along the mon river. Look up McKeesport and stay away from surrounding areas

- within city limits, refer to this unofficial gang map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zK2lIBE51ppY.kP5tgNhP5E-g

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
not sure why pitt gets a bad rap for nightlife. i'm across the river from NYC and while there's more to do, I've always had fun out in the burgh.

and a bonus, the girls are friendlier then typical NYers

Last edited:

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Try to stay out of allegheny county due to taxes. I'm originally from westmoreland county in the Lower Burrell area. My trip to downtown was about 25 mins on rt 28.

In allegheny county I was always find of Fox Chapel. But you need some $ to live there. Plus it's very white, haha

CommonForte

Jul 10, 2009
East Liberty is actually really up
And coming and a place i would recommend a 26 year old to live.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
I've heard this from a couple sources. In NYC apparently women schedule dates as often as possible for the free meals? Sounds like a detestable city in which to live.

its not that bad. ya gotta take the good with the bad

i'd prefer to live there then where i am right now, because of the good it offers but its hella expensive and I dont work in NYC so it wouldnt make sense for me in that aspect.
its doable with roomates though, but then your pretty cramped in a small APT. it does amaze me how many come together thru craglists ads. complete strangers 1 day, next day you're sharing a bathroom with that person

on dates, I think they're friendlier then meeting in bars and such. but, that free meal thing wouldnt surprise me either. although there are plenty of woman who make some really good cash there as well

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Try to stay out of allegheny county due to taxes. I'm originally from westmoreland county in the Lower Burrell area. My trip to downtown was about 25 mins on rt 28.

How is this possible if he wants to live in Pittsburgh? :laugh:

Avoid Mozart or Lobos when looking to rent.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Pittsburgh area butter. He asked about suburbs. You can live in a different county and be 10-15 mins from downtown.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pittsburgh area butter. He asked about suburbs. You can live in a different county and be 10-15 mins from downtown.

Yeah, I mis-read/mis-interpreted what was said. Although I don't think that's [living in a different county] the best thing for a 20-something if they'd want a night life. Walking, taking a bus, or a ride share to places is huge for me.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you keep your radius to 5 miles from town you'll be golden. The south hills has no direct access though, avoid at all cost if you value your time.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
+ Best city in the world
+ Winters suck
+ Find a job before - it's difficult to find a job here BUT there is a lot of job growth
+ Money goes a long way... things are not expensive here
+ The city and it's surrounding areas are ****ing awesome.
+ Be okay getting lost... it will happen

The food spots are crazy good. Food is growing left/right in Pittsburgh. TONS of great spots to eat.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
To say one thing... I think Cassius is wrong. From 21+ you have a trillion places to go in Pittsburgh. The bar scene is hopping. That's not my cup of tea, but it's available. Downtown scene right now is crazy on the weekends. You have a **** load of cultural things to do. Shows/concerts left and right. I really disagree with Cassius on that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad