Considering his transcendent playmaking talent, why is Patrick Kane not a center?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Transcendent? Not a word one should use casually when talking hockey and certainly not in a debate about Patrick Kane's playmaking talent, all due respect. Wayne Gretzky perhaps, but that's where it ends.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Because some players are better at wing.

A lot of HF posters make the mistake of assuming C>W, but it means absolutely nothing. Better players tend to play centre because they played it growing up.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
The center ice position is more about what your responsibilities are in the DZ/NZ than OZ. It doesn't matter that he's a playmaker in the OZ. Kessel is another example of a winger that is both a playmaker and a sniper in the OZ.

Personally could see Hossa at C, though.

Church of Toews*

Hawks have tried both Patricks at center both prefer to be wingers. Some players just become used to a certain position and don't bode well when tried in different areas. Stamkos struggled when they tried using him as a winger even if it may seem common sense giving a players skills mentally they just may not like it and not preform as well compared to their usual spot

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
playing from his off wing allows him to see and pass to more parts of the ice effectively, also lets him easily 1 time shots

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Its like people think only centers are allowed in the middle of the ice and wingers have to be on the boards 24/7. Changing where he lines up on face offs isn't going to change his tendencies in the offensive zone. What it will do though is add the pressure of winning faceoffs and more defencive responsibilities. Also he's very good at getting open on won face offs for a breakout pass. Can't do that from the dot.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Hawks already have an excellent #1C anyway. I think Kane is at his best on the wing.

But Kane doesn't play with Toews so why does that matter? Not saying he should play center, your other point makes sense. I just don't think this point holds much water. #2C has been an ongoing hole on that Hawks roster, not that it seems to hold them back much.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
His defensive game isn't close to what's needed for him to be a C. It makes no sense for him to make a shift to that position..its amusing to see but even when the puck is in the Hawk's end he's usually waiting near the blue line or even close to center ice for one of his d-men to get the puck out to him so he can use his speed to get a chance. He's basically all offence all the time but he's so good at it and has a tendency of always scoring huge goals when it reallly matters that I don't think he gets a lot of grief for his lack of all around game

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
He started the 11-12 season at center. It was his statistically worst season. The combo of him and Hossa being able to be on the ice together worked out nice but Kane fits better at wing and doesn't have to as frequently focus on center D responsibilities and need to work on his faceoffs.

Oct 18, 2011
he's not a center because he refuses to be a two way player, you can't float like he does and be an elite no.1 guy

wingers can get away with it more, but centers? not in my view, all the top centers in the league are atleast competent 2 way players, if not extremely good ones

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
But Kane doesn't play with Toews so why does that matter? Not saying he should play center, your other point makes sense. I just don't think this point holds much water. #2C has been an ongoing hole on that Hawks roster, not that it seems to hold them back much.

They've got Teravainen that will fill the hole at 2C. The guy is really talented too.
I can't wait to see Panarin-Teravainen-Kane next year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Some players' game translates better in a different position when it comes to the NHL.

For Kane, playing on his off wing works best for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad