Considering his transcendent playmaking talent, why is Patrick Kane not a center?

Anonymous028

Sep 18, 2008
He has played center before, he just doesn't score from there like he does from the wing.

If it ain't broke...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why play him at centre ? His game is mostly offense by breaking out quickly on the right wing and setting up teammates.

Hawks already have an excellent #1C anyway. I think Kane is at his best on the wing.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Some guys just don't do certain positions well. He's been a winger his entire career, and clearly the responsibilities and positioning suit him. Although the "playmaking centre" is a strong hockey archetype, having elite playmakers on the wings still opens up opportunities as well, and adds another dimension to play.

MrGold

Mark Scheifele is a piece of ****
Jan 7, 2012
Why would playmakers need to be centers? I mean it's not like taking faceoffs or having additional responsibilities defensively has anything to do w/ playmaking is it? LW, C, RW, are pretty much only useful in the defensive zones and on faceoffs. Offensively, the game is generally very dynamic unless you're a north-south believer. Frankly, playmakers playing centers is just as much a stereotype as bad players/skaters playing goalies, the sort of stuff that needs to be eradicated from people's minds.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
They tried for awhile a couple seasons ago. He's plainly better at wing as he can focus on pure offense. Do you really want a scoring talent like Kane back-checking all game long when Chicago has a ton of other players for that purpose? Nope.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kessel used to be a centre too. Naturally, his speed and shooting abilities and the little interest he had in playing defense made him a perfect fit to play winger.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Less productive there, defensive abilities/responsibilities, faceoff abilities, his size, etc.

It's a combo of things.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
It would be kind of a waste for a guy who's not a great defensive player to be at center, as others have said, better to make optimal use of his strengths.

This is also why I think Marner stands a good chance to play C in the NHL even though he played most of his draft year on the wing - his instincts seem to be to get back on defense quickly when the other team gets the puck.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012
Why would playmakers need to be centers? I mean it's not like taking faceoffs or having additional responsibilities defensively has anything to do w/ playmaking is it? LW, C, RW, are pretty much only useful in the defensive zones and on faceoffs. Offensively, the game is generally very dynamic unless you're a north-south believer. Frankly, playmakers playing centers is just as much a stereotype as bad players/skaters playing goalies, the sort of stuff that needs to be eradicated from people's minds.

The fat kid always played goalie.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Significantly more responsibility as a centre. You want Kane up high to take a pass and start the rush from his own blue line - thats how hes most effective. He basically is a centre once he crosses the opposing blue line anyway... But you don't want him down below his own goal line.

Wing is where his skills are best suited. Reminds me a lot of Paul Kariya in that he lined up on the wing but in the O zone - hes the pivot.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
He played C when Toews went down. He's not very good at FO's. He's probably just better at wing. Don't think it matters.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I don't recall if he played centre at NTDP at all- but he's played wing exclusively since at least OHL. He's elite at it so no reason for him to have changed. He played C briefly a few years back and he obviously wasn't at his best.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Just because someone is a good playmaker doesn't mean someone will be a good center. How good is the person at faceoffs? How good is a players defensive game? With added responsibilities how will it effect a players offensive game? Those are some questions to ask.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Why fix what isn't broken?

Your average fan who hasn't really played the game before doesn't understand that while a center is technically a forward-in the defensive zone they're basically a third defenseman.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
He has played center before, he just doesn't score from there like he does from the wing.

If it ain't broke...

Yep. If your team is deprived of centre's he'd play centre. Better rw

I believe the Dallas Stars had Benn or Erikson as a Centre in the shortened season for a while because lack of good centre's. May have been a different season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad