Player Discussion Conor Garland

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody talks about OEL as the key to that mega-deal with the Coyotes, but before too long I'm almost thinking that Garland might be the most important piece in that deal. The guy is fearless out there, and almost unstoppable in tight spaces.

I can only assume that Arizona let him go because they're in the midst of a teardown and rebuild, and didn't want to offer him a substantial raise. But he's going to be a fun guy to watch for Canuck fans for years.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't think "small people" really care if you call them a midget or another term. Like really what's the proper term? Is there some credible scholar we can trust to validate this stuff?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It’s what it is, many ppl seem to be triggered on the main board for the wrong reason

It's a slur. I can't say it's triggering or upsetting for me, but I'm not a little person. I won't say he can't say it, but I definitely think less of him. The guy gets smoked, due to his own inattentiveness, and resorts to name calling. I can't wait for round two, later this season.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think "small people" really care if you call them a midget or another term. Like really what's the proper term? Is there some credible scholar we can trust to validate this stuff?

I believe the general consensus is that the term "little people" is preferred. The m-word is considered a slur.

I also believe it's not a big deal to describe people by the terms they prefer rather than by the terms they find offensive.

These things aren't hard to google. These things aren't hard to do.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
Who cares. We've all been called much worse at the rink. All's fair in love and war.

Garland looks to be a great player. I'm no Benning fan by any means, but that's an excellent pickup. I think he looks to have 1st line abilities and may give the Canucks the flexibility to deal Miller or Boeser down the road.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
His name should have two Ns, not one ffs

Reactions: bh53

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Who cares. We've all been called much worse at the rink. All's fair in love and war.

On ice? Sure. No one should be offended by that in the heat of the moment, barring it being deliberately trying to degrade a group of people.

I've never had someone call me a slur in a televised interview though. There's been time to cool off and prepare. That's Zadinas character coming through.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's a slur. I can't say it's triggering or upsetting for me, but I'm not a little person. I won't say he can't say it, but I definitely think less of him. The guy gets smoked, due to his own inattentiveness, and resorts to name calling. I can't wait for round two, later this season.

Agreed. It’s now considered an offensive term and Zadina should apologize and learn from it.

The guy is a 6th overall pick and has about as much experience as an older Garland but Garland has been the much better player. Until Zadina comes close to matching Garland it’s like an average player criticizing a star player. Just makes Zadina look bad especially in light of the fact that he ran into Garland’s back and this was a play behind the net rather than on open ice.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What a player!....Garland plays the game with the pirouettes of a figure-skater and snarl of a little pit-bull. No wonder Coyotes fans were in mourning when he left town. I mean how can you not fall in love with this player?.....and at 25, he's in the prime of his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad