Prospect Info: Connor Zary, C, 24th Overall

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I've said it multiple times but Zary is the good version of Bennett without all the dumb offensive zone penalties and the snarl.

Bennett was/is a terrible playmaker, he never used his teammates. His career high in assists is 24, when Huberdeau was his winger Bennett had a whopping 21 assists while Huberdeau put up 115 points. That same year everyone on the team except the bottom d-men, Hornqvist and Luostarinen had more assists than Bennett, even Giroux who only played 18 games with them had 20 (Bennett had 21 in 71 games).

Zary in 13 games this year already has 7 helpers and is on pace to blow past Bennett's career high in assists in his first season.
I remember those days where Bennett would often go end to end, try and do it all himself, and in the end lose the puck behind the net because he ran out of time and space. So frustrating to watch. The game that worked so well in Jr just didn't translate to pro because his opponent was bigger, faster, and more skilled than what he faced playing in Kingston. And he never fixed it. All tunnel vision when the puck was on his stick.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The CZar
Yes, but Bennett also had soft hands and really good playmaking. He modeled his game after Doug Gilmour. That vision and creativity was apparent at first, but beaten out of Bennett by seasons 2 or 3.

I'm not saying they are the same style, I'm saying I hope Zary's offensive creativity isn't beaten out of him like it was Bennett.
Bennett's issue was he'd only play half the game

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I remember those days where Bennett would often go end to end, try and do it all himself, and in the end lose the puck behind the net because he ran out of time and space. So frustrating to watch. The game that worked so well in Jr just didn't translate to pro because his opponent was bigger, faster, and more skilled than what he faced playing in Kingston. And he never fixed it. All tunnel vision when the puck was on his stick.

I thought Baertschi suffered from the same thing, he kept trying to dangle through guys like it was junior, he never adapted to the NHL style where d-men are A LOOOOT better.

Millen I believe (or some other colour guy) called out Zary in a good way when he mentioned how Zary got pucks deep rather than doing something stupid with it. There were a couple of shifts where he ran out of room but rather than go through guys or pass it back to the point and lose it, he just put it behind the oppositions net. Being coachable is a huge part of a players development.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Fans are happy with him. He's bringing energy and skill. His underlying numbers aren't good he'll continue to grow.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
This guy is fantastic, if his stats aren't showing it, you need to watch him. Tremendous guy, love him. Only reservation- Ryan should play him 15 mins a night on Ave and allow him to make mistakes.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Fans are happy with him. He's bringing energy and skill. His underlying numbers aren't good he'll continue to grow.
The underlying numbers aren't bad, he has a positive impact. I think the big thing is that Kadri is way better with Zary on his line than he is without him.

I do hope Zary starts to shoot more though. He's got a very good shot and he should use it more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad