best

• Connor

• Zibanejad

• Barzal

Results are only viewable after voting.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Because Barzal well improve or because you think this is an outlier season for both?

Because Matt Barzal is 4 years younger, and should improve. This is by far Zibanejad's best year at age 26, so I doubt he'll be able to top a season like this. Barzal's only 22 and should continue to improve.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
As someone who has been kinda rough on Zibanejad multiple times and thought he was somewhat overrated... he looked downright elite today and could have scored 5 goals... looked like a young Jagr out there.

Rangers fans I'm sorry for my past sins.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
After the last two seasons, I don't know how anyone doesn't pick Zibanejad here. He's putting up the best numbers, and is the most complete player. Barzal's totals might be a little deflated from the Isles system, but the gap is too big to write off based on just that.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because Barzal well improve or because you think this is an outlier season for both?
Barzal is 4 years younger. Zibanejad at the same age wasnt remotely close. Also i think we all know that scoring in NYI's system is not ideal. Flip spots between the two players and the production is likely very similar. Lastly the eye test for Barzal shows how good he is and what his upside can look like the more consistent he gets.

Zibanejad is playing the best right now but Barzal is who you take going forward. The poll asks right now so the answer is Zibby.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What are you talking about, Zibanejad is VERY good defensively.
This is largely a narrative created by Rangers fans. He's passable defensively.

It's perfectly fine. There's like four #1 centers in the NHL who are actually great defensively. The whole thing is a narrative.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Zibanejad is the best of the three by a clear margin, in my opinion. Barzal might be as good at his peak, but not yet. Connor is not that much worse than Barzal, but center over the wing.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

It's perfectly fine. There's like four #1 centers in the NHL who are actually great defensively. The whole thing is a narrative.

Yeah Zib kills lots of penalties but he can be a little passive in the D-zone at even strength. Not a rarity among forwards, and the defensive structure probably doesn’t help.

Love

Feb 29, 2012

Who would you say those handful of players are?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Who would you say those handful of players are?
Couturier, Bergeron, ROR, and Crosby when he feels like it.

Everyone else off the top of my head -could be overlooking guys- ranges from bang average to terrible.

There's always a lot of posturing and memeing on HF about two-way center play and I don't think we grasp the extent to which 1C is an offensive position.

It's not a criticism of them, it just is what it is. You can get effective team defense by teaching a system. You can't teach 85-100 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad