Confirmed with Link: Connor Murphy Signs 6 Year Deal AAV $3.85M

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=890255

Might need to consider acquiring a Connor Murphy jersey now :handclap:

I hate these long contracts, usually because the player is around 28 or older. If we had to give a long contract it is better to give it to a young kid. I still think it is a little high. I would have liked 3.3/per year. I was hoping for Murphy, Stone and Rieder all signing for under 10mil/yr.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I hate these long contracts, usually because the player is around 28 or older. If we had to give a long contract it is better to give it to a young kid. I still think it is a little high. I would have liked 3.3/per year. I was hoping for Murphy, Stone and Rieder all signing for under 10mil/yr.

It will be close, under 10.5 mill is my prediction:) We have a young top 4, RHD for under 4 mill for 6 years. Unless Murphy gets injured, I don't see a lot of risk. I see a ton of upside if he can become a solid 2D. I like the risk/reward of this deal.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

This is a steal for Murphy. He progressed very well and has been getting better and better. He was a standout at worlds. I don't know what you have against him, but I think he's better than Stone and we just locked him up for 6 years with a great average.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This is a steal for Murphy. He progressed very well and has been getting better and better. He was a standout at worlds. I don't know what you have against him, but I think he's better than Stone and we just locked him up for 6 years with a great average.

When the season started both Murphy and Stone did not play well, and in fact, Murphy was benched, but by the end of the year they had both progressed. I know that Murphy played well at the worlds, but I really don't care about that, it's what he can do in the NHL. I don't have anything against Murphy at all, and what he has done since he was drafted and having all those injuries is amazing and I hope he keeps on progressing. The better he gets the better our D will be.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Thank you Chayka!!!

And thank you Murphy!!!

I'm blown away with how cheap this deal is.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I was hoping for a shorter term (not a big fan of any longer than 3-4 seasons), but I guess this is fine. If only we could get him playing where he should be (2nd pairing), he would probably do exceptionally well (not that he's done poorly or anything)/

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
How does the Dumba deal make this one look to Everyone?

I'm not sure where Dumba falls, but I'm guessing they see him as 3rd pairing guy. If he ends up as 2nd pairing guy this season, they probably got a pretty good deal. I would have guessed he'd make $3 million-3.5 million, so he's underpaid at the moment, but it's only for 2 years.

We've been relying on Murphy for 1st pairing duty, so I'm fine paying him a bit more.

I won't comment on Stone's contract in comparison to Dumba's, but let's just say I'd be fine with a Stone for Dumba trade (maybe squeeze a late pick out of them as well) :)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
How does the Dumba deal make this one look to Everyone?

Yotes bought out 2 UFA years. It depends a lot on how the early years of Murphy's deal look in salary compared to the later ones.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dumba's 2 year deal looks pretty darn similar to the first two years of Murphy's contract.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I personally don't really favor long term deals for RFA's unless they are sure shots. I like the bridge deal as it gives a little more time to ensure what the player will be. I don't dislike the Murphy deal as the money is reasonable but it still has some risk from the Coyotes side. The Dumba deal gives Minnie time to see what the player will be whole they hold the leverage.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I personally don't really favor long term deals for RFA's unless they are sure shots. I like the bridge deal as it gives a little more time to ensure what the player will be. I don't dislike the Murphy deal as the money is reasonable but it still has some risk from the Coyotes side. The Dumba deal gives Minnie time to see what the player will be whole they hold the leverage.

I mostly agree with that but I think the Coyotes had to look at Stone being injured and needing to lock down something on the right side for awhile. Our D pool is better but I still don't think it's all that great and it's definitely longer term.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I get the thought process, I just get nervous about the possible negatives to a team with a small budget. I do like the player though.
I mostly agree with that but I think the Coyotes had to look at Stone being injured and needing to lock down something on the right side for awhile. Our D pool is better but I still don't think it's all that great and it's definitely longer term.

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
His brittle status when he was younger is the only risk I see in this deal. He seems to have moved beyond his injury woes so it looks like a win for everyone involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00