Prospect Info: Connor McDavid: The Thread - McUsernames for everyone!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Jets fan dropping by to say nobody is going to have a better spring of 2015 than the Oilers. A distant second place will be the Stanley cup winner.

The reorganization at the top was beyond massive and it gives you guys a glimmer of hope but for now I will comment on McDavid.

Flat out he is the best draft eligible prospect I have seen and I am old enough to have been around for everyone post Gretz. He is the generational talent you guys need to build around.

Perhaps an underrated element is that I heard Sherry Bassin talking about Connor on TSN1290 and I was blown away by how much time he spent on Connor's character. Sherry had Lindros around as well and kind of ducked comments about the gong show he was with his parents but when it turned to McDavid he couldn't stop saying he is a better person than a player. He won the academic award for the OHL for the past two seasons as well (or at least that is what they said on the show).

I think he will provide that huge missing element of being the clear cut leader for the young core and they don't really have that right now IMO. RNH is a bit quite, I don't think Hall is the guy, definitely not Yak, Ebs I can't comment on. I am not saying that will happen over night but I sense he will be the Johnny Toews type where he will step up at the right time and it won't take long.

Congrats Oil fans you guys put up with so much **** from your ownership/management and you have hung in. Time to start getting your payback.

As far as leaders go, we will have Lander, Drais, Nurse, and MacDavid. and as much as i think Hall is not mature enough now...he IS getting there. honestly i feel that that is what seperates Pitts from Chi and LA and Nyr etc. Pitts just doesnt have a long term leadership group (they DID have a bit of a lead group when they won thecup).

as for Machockey...i think he is a pretty focussed kid. i saw a bit of that side of him during the lotto. you could tell he was unimpressed with being taken away from his playoff prep to take part in the lotto zoo theatrics. the kid is a gamer. i know a few guys in broadcasting that were around him that day and observed that he was not impressed with the situation (of being thrown around for entertainment when his mind was clearly on the otters season) but was trying to play along and also share the moment with family. one friend asked macdavid a question and i dont think board rules allows me to comment answers or heresay so i will stop there but the kid is basically a non-stop, doesnt care for the hype, hockey engine.

Last edited:

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Bob Stauffer likes to call him a mix of Toews and Crosby :laugh: He would agree with the leadership comment.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
He's been pretty quiet in this series, no?

Other then his completely bonkers assist in game 1 he hasn't produced points, but he has produced at least 5 if not more great scoring chances in every single game.

Oshawa is by far the best defensive team in the OHL, and he is doing what he can, but his teammates have quite honestly sucked so far. He's set up a couple guys with great looks and no one can finish.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
From what I've seen Oshawa completely triple teams him whenever he has the puck. His linemates are actually useless and cant capitalize with the free space they are given.

Yep so many fumbled pucks, bad decisions, defenders who can't hold the line on the PP and it goes on. This might be a case of McDavid being even better at the next level because his teammates will be much more capable.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Hey guys just finished up making a highlight video

Let me know what you think :) If you like it make sure to give it a thumbs up on Youtube! :nod:

Thank you guys for all the support on my video. Over 1000 views and it hasn't been up for even 24 hours. Appreciate all the kind words as well.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As far as leaders go, we will have Lander, Drais, Nurse, and MacDavid. and as much as i think Hall is not mature enough now...he IS getting there. honestly i feel that that is what seperates Pitts from Chi and LA and Nyr etc. Pitts just doesnt have a long term leadership group (they DID have a bit of a lead group when they won thecup).

as for Machockey...i think he is a pretty focussed kid. i saw a bit of that side of him during the lotto. you could tell he was unimpressed with being taken away from his playoff prep to take part in the lotto zoo theatrics. the kid is a gamer. i know a few guys in broadcasting that were around him that day and observed that he was not impressed with the situation (of being thrown around for entertainment when his mind was clearly on the otters season) but was trying to play along and also share the moment with family. one friend asked macdavid a question and i dont think board rules allows me to comment answers or heresay so i will stop there but the kid is basically a non-stop, doesnt care for the hype, hockey engine.

Good post.

I agree leadership is a very important ingredient and it might be the element that separates teams that are clustered together and really close. I have heard very good things about Leon from people I know in Prince Albert and Nurse seems to be a strong leader so perhaps you have that young base of guys that will fill the roles when the time is right.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Bob Stauffer likes to call him a mix of Toews and Crosby :laugh: He would agree with the leadership comment.

He definitely has a Toews type vibe to him. He just seems to take everything with a level of gravity that suggests a type of person who is very focused and intense in all things.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
"It's really hard to put into words what this means," McDavid said. "To be a part of this group of guys and … I might be the guy standing up there but this is the definition of a team award. Makes it a lot easier when you're playing with the league leading scorer [fellow 2015 draft prospect Dylan Strome] and the league's rookie of the year [Alex DeBrincat]. … It's a very special day to be recognized as the league's MVP. It means the world to me."

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Just wanted to drop by and say it's great for you fans that you got McDavid. I'm not going to lie, I was super pissed Edmonton won, but that's more geared towards management. The fans went through a lot of garbage with the terrible ownership and basement dwelling, it's nice to get a boost to the franchise and your morale as well. As a Bills fan I relate, as we are now entering (soon) our 15th straight season of missing the playoffs. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I'm thrilled with Eichel and hopefully McDavid will give the boost you need to get you back to good days. Maybe an Eichel vs McDavid Winter Classic is in our future? The faces of American and Canadian hockey respectively. :cheers:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just wanted to drop by and say it's great for you fans that you got McDavid. I'm not going to lie, I was super pissed Edmonton won, but that's more geared towards management. The fans went through a lot of garbage with the terrible ownership and basement dwelling, it's nice to get a boost to the franchise and your morale as well. As a Bills fan I relate, as we are now entering (soon) our 15th straight season of missing the playoffs. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I'm thrilled with Eichel and hopefully McDavid will give the boost you need to get you back to good days. Maybe an Eichel vs McDavid Winter Classic is in our future? The faces of American and Canadian hockey respectively. :cheers:

Man thatd be sick. Probaly in 2017 though. Mcdavid vs Eichel (both will probaly be top of the league) and two rising clubs, and in the orgin of the Winter Classics.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
That highlight video is mental...most players won't score that many pretty goals in their entire careers.

His skating stride is just so perfect he makes everyone else look so awkward by comparison.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

UGH that sounds so ****ing awesome they need to do it.

I will say tho considering you guys have Eichel-Reinhart-Girgensens Buffalo is going to be pretty great, reminds me of LA if they had gotten all their stars at the same time rather than at the end of their primes, rock solid defensive players who can mix it up physically.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
So Nurse is going to be the de facto McDavid bodyguard (if he makes the team). In terms of players (tough ones with decent ice time), who are the likely candidates? We all know McDavid can fight his own battles, but he shouldn't have to worry about fighting, and our team is just stacked with guys who like to wait at the bus stop, so it's a concern. The first liners aren't exactly going to scare any goons. Thoughts?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yep so many fumbled pucks, bad decisions, defenders who can't hold the line on the PP and it goes on. This might be a case of McDavid being even better at the next level because his teammates will be much more capable.

I had a chance to watch him play in Erie twice in February and I had the exact same thought. His passes were so quick and accurate that they appeared to stun his teammates on many occasions.

While his NHL teammates won't fumble the opportunities he creates at anywhere near the rate his teenaged teammates do, the quality of goaltending in the NHL is so superior to the OHL, that his overall effectiveness won't equate to his OHL levels.

Unless he got to face Scrivens and Fasth every night:naughty:

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I had a chance to watch him play in Erie twice in February and I had the exact same thought. His passes were so quick and accurate that they appeared to stun his teammates on many occasions.

While his NHL teammates won't fumble the opportunities he creates at anywhere near the rate his teenaged teammates do, the quality of goaltending in the NHL is so superior to the OHL, that his overall effectiveness won't equate to his OHL levels.

Unless he got to face Scrivens and Fasth every night:naughty:

McDavid has an absurd ceiling. He's an adaptoid and while I agree his production won't be on the same level as it is in the OHL, don't discount his ability to figure things out and adjust or play to a higher level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad