Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VII: Hart, Ross & Lindsay Winner | 100 Points In 53 Games!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Figured this belonged here.

Every year the goalposts change. Mcdavid and Drai are dominating the league points wise, are looking likely to make the post season, but suddenly supporting cast is too important so mackinnon is mvp front runner.

What an absolute joke of an award.

The "true definition" of the award didn't seem to matter two years ago when McDavid was far and away the most valuable player in the league despite being on a team that didn't make the playoffs.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
The "true definition" of the award didn't seem to matter two years ago when McDavid was far and away the most valuable player in the league despite being on a team that didn't make the playoffs.
I don't put any stock into awards put McDavid not winning the Hart in 2018 was stupid and all the pundits trying to justify McDavid not even getting a nomination made it infuriating

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Anyone know why McDavid changed to a much longer stick when he came into the league?

Not to say it hasn't worked for him, and of course there are a few reasons why it would be beneficial at the NHL level to have a longer stick. However, watching him at the world juniors using that short stick he had, I felt he had a lot more control of the puck.

It's funny saying that considering he is one of the best stickhandlers in the game with that long stick. Wonder what prompted the switch. Would be cool to see him try out a shorter one again though just to see.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
Was wondering if any of you guys knew where I might watch the newish documentary surrounding his recovery from injury? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. I would happily pay for it, I've heard it's very good.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
OK; i got it that McDavid has a hard time, when its so hard to find playmates for him. In seperation from Draidsaitl, Draisaitl has clicked with close to anyone he had played with, and so has Nuge.
But thats the negative thing with McDavid. He creates a lot, and fantastic thing on his own - but he need high IQ players around him.
And in todays NHL, its not size that costs, its IQ..

Maybe we should keep Yamamto and Draisaitl together, and pair Nuge with McDavid again, and round out with Ennis/AA on the top line. Im very curious about Nuge and AA chemistry though.

In former posts, I didnt want AA on the team, worried about the IQ problem. But now Im a tad more exicted about him, because he has some skills to go with the speed.

For me AA is a poor mans Taylor Hall, without the problems that got along with Hall.
But on the other hand, Do you want to mess with the chemistry of NDY line?

Neal is now long gone from top 6, he just dont produce anything.

Nuge McDavid Ennis
AA Draisaitl Yamamoto
Archibald Sheahan Kassian
Chiasson Haas Neal

That 4th line.... uuuuh

Reactions: 29292929

space321

May 11, 2011
OK; i got it that McDavid has a hard time, when its so hard to find playmates for him. In seperation from Draidsaitl, Draisaitl has clicked with close to anyone he had played with, and so has Nuge.
But thats the negative thing with McDavid. He creates a lot, and fantastic thing on his own - but he need high IQ players around him.

Maybe we should keep Yamamto and Draisaitl together, and pair Nuge with McDavid again, and round out with Ennis/AA on the top line. Im very curious about Nuge and AA chemistry though.

In former posts, I didnt want AA on the team, worried about the IQ problem. But now Im a tad more exicted about him, because he has some skills to go with the speed.

For me AA is a poor mans Taylor Hall, without the problems that got along with Hall.

Nuge McDavid Ennis
AA Draisaitl Yamamoto
Chiasson Haas Neal

That 4th line.... uuuuh

???

space321

May 11, 2011
!!!

Draisaitl thrives in any situation. McDavid can do fantasti things on his own, but can only co-operate with very high IQ players.

Sorry, my ??? was only directed at this bolded part "For me AA is a poor mans Taylor Hall, without the problems that got along with Hall."

I think you should temper your expectations of AA by ALOT. A poor man's Taylor Hall is like a Jason Zucker, and I don't think AA is even at that level.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Sorry, my ??? was only directed at this bolded part "For me AA is a poor mans Taylor Hall, without the problems that got along with Hall."

I think you should temper your expectations of AA by ALOT. A poor man's Taylor Hall is like a Jason Zucker, and I don't think AA is even at that level.

I think you value Hall more than I do. I rather have Zucker on my team than Hall.

Reactions: Aerchon

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Anyone know why McDavid changed to a much longer stick when he came into the league?

Not to say it hasn't worked for him, and of course there are a few reasons why it would be beneficial at the NHL level to have a longer stick. However, watching him at the world juniors using that short stick he had, I felt he had a lot more control of the puck.

It's funny saying that considering he is one of the best stickhandlers in the game with that long stick. Wonder what prompted the switch. Would be cool to see him try out a shorter one again though just to see.

first time I’ve seen this thanks!
This McDavid kid who wears #17. Looks like he has some skill :)

I’ll admit here - I absolutely didn’t think we even had a chance, so I really didn’t know ‘that’ much about him. It was going to be Hannifin most likely where we drafted. The #1 was a long shot. Hehe.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta

Nuge McDavid Ennis
AA Draisaitl Yamamoto
Chiasson Haas Neal

That 4th line.... uuuuh
I disagree that draisaitl clicks with just anyone. I would say he is able to exploit teammates that have high levels of talent in specific areas. Leon responds to his line mates while Mcdavid’s line mates need to be able to respond to him which is why they need to have a read and react mentality. Kassian is actually quite good at this.

I do agree with trying that lineup though. I think AA would do very well with Leon and Yamamoto. Nuge Mcdavid and Kassian/Ennis is also a lock IMO. Nothing to lose if it doesn’t work. A lot to gain if it does. It’s not like splitting that line up destroys their chemistry if they’re put back together afterwards

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
!!!
Draisaitl thrives in any situation. McDavid can do fantasti things on his own, but can only co-operate with very high IQ players.
This is just not true. I have already said that Draisaitl is having as good a regular season as I have seen from any Oiler not named Gretzky or Coffey. But Leon would not be having the success he is having right now playing with guys like Archibald and Chiasson. Tippett himself put it very well when he attributed Draisaitl's December slump to trying to do too much himself.

Great player's feed off of other great players.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So player evaluation is solely on a season to season basis? And the only thing that matter are goals? Then Matthews > McDavid by that logic right?
Not really, I think Hall is probably a better player, but you can make an argument for Zucker's production and cost control, plus his health. Either way. This is a thread about McDavid and he's vastly better then both.

Also, McDavid is ramping up his game in the clutch, it's so fun to watch.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
So player evaluation is solely on a season to season basis? And the only thing that matter are goals? Then Matthews > McDavid by that logic right?

Zucker has 1 less 20 goal season than Hall. He's got the same amount of 30 goal seasons.

Point is that we don't need any more star players on this team(unless it's a dman). We need people to fill roles.

space321

May 11, 2011
Zucker has 1 less 20 goal season than Hall. He's got the same amount of 30 goal seasons.

Point is that we don't need any more star players on this team(unless it's a dman). We need people to fill roles.

One of the roles that needs to be filled is a top line winger

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

Been saying this for a while. McDavid's stick looks too long for him. Crazy to say, but he seems to have more trouble stick handling this year than ever before.

Agree with earlier comment:
Ennis, McD, Nuge
Yamo, Drai, AA

Reactions: Llamamoto49

Betelgeuse

Sep 21, 2018
I think he's been playing okay as of late. The churn of wingers probably doesn't help, but having Ennis and AA at his disposal lessens the "McD doesn't have wingers to work with".

Where Drai excels and perhaps McD can take notes is how to adapt to your linemates. Don't force your game on them.

I'm making this up though but it's where my head's at!

space321

May 11, 2011
Not really, I think Hall is probably a better player, but you can make an argument for Zucker's production and cost control, plus his health. Either way. This is a thread about McDavid and he's vastly better then both.

Also, McDavid is ramping up his game in the clutch, it's so fun to watch.

This is a thread about McDavid, and thus his winger quality is a relevant discussion. Imo a Zucker level player is a good fit for his line, but perferably he needs someone who's at least as smart as RNH.

On the other hand, one poster called AA a "poor man's Hall" which is just straight up bollocks. He's like a poor man's Zucker. And I don't really see how Zucker's 5 extra goals this year is proof that he's better than Hall? Also contract should not be relevant in this discussion, we're talking about the quality of players that McDavid needs to fully realize what his line can do.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Once again doesn't look right. No streaking rushes since he has returned. Must be still nursing through the charlie horse

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Once again doesn't look right. No streaking rushes since he has returned. Must be still nursing through the charlie horse
Agreed, he looks slow (for him) and isn’t trying to drive wide or split the defenders. Seems tentative on the back check as well.

Reactions: drewshoo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad