Connor McDavid a better goal scorer than Laine?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid's a playmaker, not a goalscorer.

Laine's much better at scoring goals.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Edmonton is a team I rather like, they’re fans are mostly smart, they post fair arguments and are for the most part honest. I’m sure if this thread was exchanged with a couple other players from different franchises it would be ushered with non-sense.

McDavid is the best player in the world, but I don’t think anyone in the league compares to Laines shot arsenal, his one timer is the best in the league and his wrister is definitely up there in the higher echelons(I liken him behind Ovi at 2nd in that category). Laine is a better goal scorer but he’s not nearly as good overall compared to McDavid.

Should be an exciting time for Canada for the next 10 years, fingers crossed Vancouver or Montreal get Dahlin... But for real I wouldn’t be surprised if nearly half the Cups come north to Canada in the next 10 seasons with all the young talent these teams have.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
If I was battling for 1st overall selections year after year, I'd sure want Connor Mc David leading my team; money in the bank!

So, better, yes, McDavid!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
McDavid's a playmaker, not a goalscorer.

Laine's much better at scoring goals.

I could see McDavid finishing ahead of Laine in a given season in goals just from the sheer volume of chances he creates, but I think Laine's probably the better "pure goal scorer", if that makes sense.

Kind of like Crosby compared to guys like Kucherov or Tarasenko. Those guys are probably better pure goal scorers, but Crosby generates so many chances that he's finished ahead in goals than those guys last season due to the sheer volume.

An extreme example would be Gretzky and Bossy. Bossy's seen as the more "pure sniper", but Gretzky scored more goals due to the ridiculous number of chances he generated each game. If both guys only had 2 chances in a game, Bossy probably would score more often. But it's the fact Gretzky generates like 10 chances per game to Bossy's 5, Gretzky scores more goals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine has a much better supporting cast than McDavid. I don't agree just to say goal scoring is simply an individual stat. McDavid pretty much does everything offensively and is one of if not the best player in the world. Winnipeg is one of the highest scoring teams with 213 goals while Edmonton is 33 goals less. IMO McDavid could change his game just like Sid and easily become a better goal scorer than he currently is. Let's also remember we are comparing the job of a Center with that of a Winger.
So Laines goal scoring numbers are clearly better but no one would take him over McDavid.
Im not sure who will be the better goal scorer going forward. Laine is no Ovechkin.
McDavid plays more than 50% of his time with that $8.5M slug Draisaitl.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not even close IMO. McDavid's weakest trick in his wonderful bag of tricks is his raw goal scoring ability. He often skates way too fast and gets too tight inside, flubbing the occasional shot. Like Gretzky (who was never the best pure goal scorer) McDavid will amass a good amount of goals because of his TOI and all-around dynamic, offensive ability.

Laine is one of the best pure goalscorers I've seen in a long time.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
Was this even a thread worthy? Some pro-Oiler wants to praise McDavid when their team suck balls once again even after all those 1 OA picks.

Sad, just sad.

Oh and McDavid isn't better goal scorer than Laine. Anyone can see that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cotopaxi

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Laine can beat any goalie from distance and without traffic. Because of this I'd give him the edge here. If they both were to stand on the blue line and shoot for soda cans on top corners, I'd think Laine is a good bet.

Agree with @Sidney the Kidney, McDavid creates many goals by just moving his feet. Nothing wrong with that.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Laine can beat any goalie from distance and without traffic. Because of this I'd give him the edge here. If they both were to stand on the blue line and shoot for soda cans on top corners, I'd think Laine is a good bet.

Agree with @Sidney the Kidney, McDavid creates many goals by just moving his feet. Nothing wrong with that.
sooner or later Speed would begin to slow. After 30 MCD would be need new style to play because his speed would be decreased. Also all top speed NHL players have bad ankle problems near 30 years - I remember Bures amount of injuries. Gaborik and etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad