Connor McDavid a better goal scorer than Laine?

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Scored point(s) in 78 out of 136 career games this far. That's 57.35% of games.
Scored goal(s) in 55 out of 136 career games this far. That's 40.44% of games.
Have had 27 multi-points games out of 136 career games this far. That's 19.85% of games.
Have had 9 multi-goals games out of 136 career games this far. That's 6.61% of games.

McDavid does better in points-categories. Sure.

What was this thread about?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
If healthy, 65-75 range.

Wait, you think Laine who hasn't even sniffed a goal scoring title in his 2 years in the NHL will suddenly smashed the total for most goals in the cap era? This is why you are not taken seriously by anyone. If you said he would hit 50 one day, no one would argue, hell maybe even 55, but 65-75 is a joke and allows everyone to gloss over anything you say.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Wait, you think Laine who hasn't even sniffed a goal scoring title in his 2 years in the NHL will suddenly smashed the total for most goals in the cap era? This is why you are not taken seriously by anyone. If you said he would hit 50 one day, no one would argue, hell maybe even 55, but 65-75 is a joke and allows everyone to gloss over anything you say.

I'm not really about being taken seriously. I'm more about being correct.

I've stated my reasons and analysis for it. It adds up

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Jesus christ this thread is lobotomizing.

"Laine might not be as good as expected so far."

Two 30 goal seasons before age 20 is somehow not as good as expected? He's on pace for 40 this year - only 3 guys were able to hit that mark last season. Many of your expectations are way out of line with reality

Reactions: BB88

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Pp goals are worth the same as ES goals. Macdavid may become a better pp goal scorer over time, but thats not until he develops that skill set.

Laine is a better goal scorer overall just by G/60 alone.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
What's with this narrative that McDavid has to be the best at everything in order to be the best player.

McDavid is not the best goal scorer in the league and most likely never will be. Especially with newer talent coming into the league that can put the puck in the net the chances of McDavid being the best goal scorer is very slim.

Laine has specific skills that should allow him to fight for the goal scoring lead each and every year.

I don't doubt that McDavid will always be the better player than Laine but I can't envision a future other than one offs where McDavid can outscore Laine over several seasons.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
All Connor had to do it trust his shot...it was never a muffin like most on these boards thought. His goal scoring is up because hes taking the shots that the opposition are giving him now. Or he finally realized that passing off a good chance to anyone not named Draisaitl usually amounts to nothing lol

But a better goal scorer than Laine? heck no.

Reactions: Future GOAT

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
no laine has a far better shot. but mcdavid is a far better player and gets 3x the amount of great chances a game then laine so his goal scoring is closer. if mcdavid every figures out his shot then look out

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Jesus christ this thread is lobotomizing.

"Laine might not be as good as expected so far."

Two 30 goal seasons before age 20 is somehow not as good as expected? He's on pace for 40 this year - only 3 guys were able to hit that mark last season. Many of your expectations are way out of line with reality
I love how some people around here think players will keep getting better and better at like 10% forever. by that reasoning laine will have 80 goals one day. not how it works.... lol

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
If 29 goes back to best FIN trainer Ratatoulu 80+. If he trains with generational Barkov 85+. If he trains with both we will most likely see our first 90g scorer in a long long time.

Reactions: elmaco

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Didn't you predict 60+ this year?

It's not Laine's fault he won't hit 60+, the Jets are playing him with Little on purpose to sabotage his goal totals and reduce his contract. It's pretty obvious, what other possible reason is there that Laine's not scoring historic amounts of goals?

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
If Mcdavid had Laine's shot arsenal, he would be an all-time great (i.e Lemieux, Orr, Gretzky). That would be 50-60G yearly (goals scored both with his dangles and speed + add the extra goals from his new shooting abilities from the blue line) and 70- 80 assists.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
at 5v5 yes. his ability to create chances for himself and capitalize on them is better. Laine is better on the PP and overall though

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Laine has way better shot but McDavid is so good player he can still get alot of goals scored, due to speed, positionin ect..

Look McDavid with Laines shot would score 60-70 goals every season, at least. McDavid is that good and Laines shot is that good. Most of last 10 goals I think Laine has scored without any screen, from distance, without one timing. Laine just beat's em goalies just like they did back in 80's.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Just think how many goals McDavid scores once he figures out how to shoot like Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad