The difference kinda becomes apparent here though

Colorado: 280 goals (on pace)
Toronto: 306 goals (on pace)
Pittsburgh: 364 goals (on pace)
Boston: 253 goals (on pace)
Washington: 320 goals (pace)
Chicago: 280 goals (pace)

Edmonton: 238 goals (pace)

It's honestly amazing what McDavid can produce on a team that is far lower scoring than what all these other guys get. We need to get into that 250 range at least to really hang with the big boys.

Where most of those teams have advantages is in the scoring depth. The #4-6+ scorers. We are literally 3 offensive players and a bunch of role players up front until proven otherwise.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's no surprise that we rely heavily on these 3 to provide offense for our team. Here's where the trio currently ranks vs. the highest scoring trio's in the league:

Colorado: Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog 55 points (12 games)
Toronto: Matthews, Marner, Tavares 45 points (11 games)
Pittsburgh: Malkin, Kessel, Crosby 44 points (9 games)
Boston: Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand 44 points (11 games)
Washington: Kuznetsov, Ovechkin, Carlson 43 points (10 games)
Chicago: Kane, Debrincat, Toews 43 points (12 games)
Edmonton: McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl 4o points (10 games)
I thought you were referring to lines when you said trios, not the 3 highest scoring guys on each team.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Those 3 are doing well offensively, but I agree... for the team to take the "next step"... the team needs either a dman to step up offensively or another forward to come out of the woodwork as an offensive force as well.

Nurse/Klefbom or Bouchard(probably not this season though)... need to step up and become that 50 pt dman that helps push the play not only on the PP but at evens.

Someone from the group of Rattie/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi or much longer shots like Marody/Benson/Chiasson need to step up and become that top 6 winger that gives the forwards some better depth and takes the pressure off the "big 3" who are all essentially centres... and yes I know RNH is a winger now.. but only because the team doesn't really have any other good winger options has he been forced there.

He's only kinda a winger, apart from faceoffs him and McDavid split the center duties with Nuge perhaps even doing the job a bit more in the d-zone. It works great and McLellan has always recognized the asset in having another guy on McDavids line to do the d-zone work so McDavid can be sprung for one vs one's and fast breaks. Basically what i'm getting at is his job on that line despite technically being a LW is a role almost no true winger could play, he's kind of a hybrid like Kurri was for Gretzky and it's pretty much a dream scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad