Salary Cap: Connor & Laine Contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kujakatti

Feb 12, 2019
I liked Travis Yost's perspective on Laine's situation in his most recent write up. It will be hard for Laine's camp to argue what the analytics and eye test both say.
110 goals and 184 points with 2nd line icetime. It will be impossible for Chevy to argue

Reactions: jepjepjoo

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
... so is today the day?

I hope so. I think all three sides just want to hold out as long as they can then sign. I would think all three parties want to be in a good position to start the year on a good foot. That would mean signing today and getting back to work next week.

I think Laine's last practice day with the Swiss league is today, is it not? Maybe I'm making that up. But I think that was his internal deadline, once that's done, then maybe he feels he made his point and Chevy feels he's done his best.

Let's go!

Reactions: Halberdier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I feel like there is some overreaction going on.

This is business and these are tough negotiations. When deals are done (and they will get done) it will be back to business as usual. I am not that concerned with what is being said by whom right now. Both Connor and Laine are talented young players and will get lots of opportunity to kick down the door between now and their next contract.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
I think Laine's last practice day with the Swiss league is today, is it not? Maybe I'm making that up. But I think that was his internal deadline, once that's done, then maybe he feels he made his point and Chevy feels he's done his best.
You're not wrong. At least the training in Swiss league.
Being signed, that's still the glass elefant in the room. I wonder what Chevy and Liut (since he's also Rantanen's agent) days look like. Both trying the high quality players to sign. Still ain't touch my finger on the money stuff. I will just get first decree burns if I even try.

I'm hopeful that the boys are back in town soon since... we actually kinda need them to be successful. Naturally it would be best if the tank called Buff is there too. We can't do "Florida" and start poorly and miss at the end while on a hot streak just because we were too far.

It's friday night here so I'm prepairing my self to selfheal with some cold beer. Takes an edge of... but not all the alcohol in the world right now can tell me what's gonna happend. It may give me false hope or make me comfortably numb, but still...

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I feel like today could be a pressure point of sorts, probably still time to get to town, do your medicals, and maybe even get in to the last pre-season game if things get wrapped up today.

For Connor anyways, Laine has to travel a fair bit further I guess.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I feel like today could be a pressure point of sorts, probably still time to get to town, do your medicals, and maybe even get in to the last pre-season game if things get wrapped up today.

I hope so. That was my thought on today as well.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017

Naturally you don't (or do you??) know, but if you had to guess. Have both of them sign like about the same time, like having agreed verbally, so there's no monkey business from other teams? I don't know the teams that have moving parts or cap to approach one or the other.

I still on team Chuck, keep them both and carry on! And let the Jets fly high to the end of playoffs!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I feel like there is some overreaction going on.

This is business and these are tough negotiations. When deals are done (and they will get done) it will be back to business as usual. I am not that concerned with what is being said by whom right now. Both Connor and Laine are talented young players and will get lots of opportunity to kick down the door between now and their next contract.
maybe it's overreaction, but i can see legit stances where it's not. 2/3's of the remaining RFAs are WPG Jets. KC's agent said they're not close where as KC said he wanted to be signed prior to TC. You have Laine throwing teammates under the bus and apparently not jelling with the leadership group since they demand to much. Oh and just to add, our best RD might not play.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
maybe it's overreaction, but i can see legit stances where it's not. 2/3's of the remaining RFAs are WPG Jets. KC's agent said they're not close where as KC said he wanted to be signed prior to TC. You have Laine throwing teammates under the bus and apparently not jelling with the leadership group since they demand to much. Oh and just to add, our best RD might not play.

Lets not put too much stock in what agents say publicly and rumors from the media.

Reactions: Halberdier

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Watch Laine come in at something like 2 years, 5.8 million per after all this :laugh: Question is what's Connor waiting for? I haven't seen any leaks on his situation, it's all speculation. If anyone is arguing over money here, it's propably him.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Watch Laine come in at something like 2 years, 5.8 million per after all this :laugh: Question is what's Connor waiting for? I haven't seen any leaks on his situation, it's all speculation. If anyone is arguing over money here, it's propably him.

Yes, it's all speculation and wild ass guessing - including your statement about who's negotiating money -
My wild ass spec would be that they both want to be paid - along with their agents. As for Connor, term might also be an important pce tied to the money - when you say it out loud, it's sounds fairly obvious.;)

Laine will likely come in higher than 5.8 - I'd assume he also likes money regardless of some of the feedback saying it's more about usage.
I'm not sure any team would guarantee usage with a player coming off a down season - but again, as you pointed out, you can only speculate.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Yes, it's all speculation and wild ass guessing - including your statement about who's negotiating money -
My wild ass spec would be that they both want to be paid - along with their agents. As for Connor, term might also be an important pce tied to the money - when you say it out loud, it's sounds fairly obvious.;)

Laine will likely come in higher than 5.8 - I'd assume he also likes money regardless of some of the feedback saying it's more about usage.
I'm not sure any team would guarantee usage with a player coming off a down season - but again, as you pointed out, you can only speculate.

We have more information on where the Laine negotiations stand tho, the usage aspect, the fact that it's likely a bridge, a rumored offer from the Jets. With Connor there's been nothing. It's still speculation but that's why most of the discussion on this thread is about Laine, because there's more information.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

giphy.gif

Reactions: EpicGingy

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I, for one, will be ecstatic when these deals are finally signed and we can stop bickering about contracts and start bickering about their play on the ice :)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We have more information on where the Laine negotiations stands tho, the usage aspect, the fact that it's likely a bridge, a rumored offer from the Jets. With Connor there's been nothing. It's still speculation but that's why most of the discussion on this thread is about Laine, because there's more information.

Yes, we have more info on Laine and none of it solid enough to draw a conclusion.
I suppose you could, but if it's "rumored" or "likely" or based on an interview with a player, how much of it can you really take for anything other than speculation?

Connor came out and said he wants long term and sounded very positive so we ran with than - now it "who knows".

It's all spec until it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad