LeBrun: Connor Hellebuyck will not sign a new contract with Winnipeg

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Shocked he hasn't been traded yet. Is he planning on sitting out then until he's traded?

Not saying it couldn't happen, but hockey players historically don't sit out when they're under contract. Can't remember who it was, but if memory serves the last time a player under contract held out the lost year was tacked on to the end of the deal.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Devils fans keep saying no but their team would be so nasty with da Buyck

I think trading for him as a 1 year rental on the cheap makes the most sense, and then they can try and negotiate with him during the season

Think of all the marketing potential too. Welcome to Helle

Nobody disagrees that the team would be better with him. I think the majority of devils fans just don't believe it's likely.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not saying it couldn't happen, but hockey players historically don't sit out when they're under contract. Can't remember who it was, but if memory serves the last time a player under contract held out the lost year was tacked on to the end of the deal.

Nabokov. He refused to play for the Islanders after they claimed him off waivers, so they tolled the contract and he reported the following season. He ended up doing well there and extended with them twice. Weird story.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Nabokov. He refused to play for the Islanders after they claimed him off waivers, so they tolled the contract and he reported the following season. He ended up doing well there and extended with them twice. Weird story.
Visnovsky also filed a grievance against his trade to the Isles as he felt his NTC wasn't honored, refused to report to camp (allegedly he had a family issue to deal with first) but despite what looked like a bad start he also signed an extension.

Nabokov wanted to go to Detroit to play playoff hockey and the Isles needed a goalie plain and simple so Nabby didn't report because he felt no reason to play with the Isles that season. Cost himself some money due to the contract toll because that was for 600K

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I wonder if the Jets are sitting top 3 in the Central at the deadline if Chevy would trade Helle.
It would be a bit of kick in the teeth to season ticket holders. It may still be the better option but the optics would be terrible.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
if cossa does good this season ide ship out husso and put cossa behind hell to be mentored . even if husso has a good season because i could trade him for an excellent return . this would bring coss along slow and allow hell to play way fewer games extending career . the issue would be cap space . i dont know enough to have a serious opinion im just speculating what would happen with hell in net for redwings starting 2024 , could really work good
That’s the thing though . At the cap hit Helle will likely get , the team woild want to get max value out of him so he would probably continue to start a shit load of games. If the Redwings are very high on Cossa , I don’t see them investing a lot into another goalie.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If this was available, it would have alredy happened.

The deal you propose, downgrade in goal + futures doesn't help the jets now, and they don't want to tank or rebuild.
But what team fills Helle‘s wants ( US team that’s a contender and has cap room amd need for a 1A goalie) plus can offer anythif more than what you said the Devils would ? It won’t be an upgrade in net obviously , and tradimg established roster players likey lessens that teams contenders status . So I can’t see anyone offering anything more than the downgrade in goal + futures .
So who is out there that can check all the boxes ?
1. US team
2. Contender
3. Needs a 1a (with no elite goalie prospect in the system)
4. Has cap space needed
5. Has assets they are willig and able to trade

Id say the list is very very short.

Devils - check all boxes.

Wings - have an elite prospect waiting. Not true contenders (yet)

Kings - Cap space will be an issue. Plus they trwded for 2 prospect goalies they are high on and appear to,want to go the discount route on spending cap space in goalies.

Sabres - Have a lot of faith in Levi ( rightfully so) . I can’t see them toss him aside and spending that much on a goalie. Not a contender as of right now but I believe they will be this upcoming season ,,orfor sure next season.

Devils make the most sense to me.
But I’m guessig it’s a staring contest between Fitz and Chevy . Fitz is comfortable (but not ideal) riding VV and Schmid , and he knows that Helle won’t extend in Winnipeg , and he knows the market for Helle right now is in the buyers favour. Not many teams willig and able to deal for him. Chevy knows this too and wont sell low. I can see him wait it out as lomg as possible in hopes the demand for Helle increases. I dont see that happen and it pisses me off that we sit here and wait lol. But good on the Jets and good on the Devils for sticking to their guns

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
That’s the thing though . At the cap hit Helle will likely get , the team woild want to get max value out of him so he would probably continue to start a shit load of games. If the Redwings are very high on Cossa , I don’t see them investing a lot into another goalie.
max value is attained in playoffs , mean while regular season you limit his games . and 2025/26 detroit has a huge fleet of talent due to be nhl ready , making them a cinderella team with an experienced monster goalie and stacked young defense . a big gun forward ufa could put them over the top . i know its a big gamble taking on hell's cap hit , but hes the type of add that could get detroit challenging that soon . and you hope husso has a great 2023/24 so you can trade for an excellent propect which makes the hell signing a way to deepen prospect pool while also bettering team . redwing brass have to be considering this angle

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
But what team fills Helle‘s wants ( US team that’s a contender and has cap room amd need for a 1A goalie) plus can offer anythif more than what you said the Devils would ? It won’t be an upgrade in net obviously , and tradimg established roster players likey lessens that teams contenders status . So I can’t see anyone offering anything more than the downgrade in goal + futures .
1. US team
2. Contender
4. Has cap space needed

Kings - Cap space will be an issue. Plus they trwded for 2 prospect goalies they are high on and appear to,want to go the discount route on spending cap space in goalies.

Sabres - Have a lot of faith in Levi ( rightfully so) . I can’t see them toss him aside and spending that much on a goalie. Not a contender as of right now but I believe they will be this upcoming season ,,orfor sure next season.

But I’m guessig it’s a staring contest between Fitz and Chevy . Fitz is comfortable (but not ideal) riding VV and Schmid , and he knows that Helle won’t extend in Winnipeg , and he knows the market for Helle right now is in the buyers favour. Not many teams willig and able to deal for him. Chevy knows this too and wont sell low. I can see him wait it out as lomg as possible in hopes the demand for Helle increases. I dont see that happen and it pisses me off that we sit here and wait lol. But good on the Jets and good on the Devils for sticking to their guns
I agree on pretty much everythink you wrote, still think that kind of offer is not so good that you think it is too good to pass and noone will ever offer anything like that again.

Things can change, some player gets hurt and is put on LTIR and suddenly there is capspace.
Other teams will accure capspace so later in the season there may be other teams that didn't make your list now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I wonder if the Jets are sitting top 3 in the Central at the deadline if Chevy would trade Helle.
It would be a bit of kick in the teeth to season ticket holders. It may still be the better option but the optics would be terrible.
It's only the better option on this site in my view. You can't set fire to a playoff run to get a low first round pick that if you are lucky is playing in three years and maybe makes a real impact in four years and some good but not great prospect that maybe plays on a third line or a third pair if you are lucky. You likely cost the franchise millions of dollars, get cancelations from season ticket holders, and as you've noted the optics are atrocious to the paying fans and in the locker room. He's a slightly older goalie. He's a very good player but it's likely his best days are behind him anyway. Just ride it out and if they fall out of the race they can send out Helle and Schiefle. If some team was going to make a big offer for either they likely would have been traded already.

ChrisProngersEYE

Aug 17, 2023
Chicago seems like a good bet. They have that kind of money and burlap sacks for goaltenders right now. They have Bedard why not spend some cap on a solid goalie?

Reactions: Flair Hay

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
if he goes to ufa i wonder if yzerman makes a bid next summer for a local guy ? it'd put redwings into playoffs with a bunch of good prospects coming on , plus now a solid but not spectacular nhl group . if they then could also sign a monster ufa forward summer of 25 they contend 2025/26 and beyond
yeah, because all those prospect would stay on elc forever

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I'm pretty sure Chevy won't have to worry about this, jets won't be in the top 3

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
1. US team
2. Contender
4. Has cap space needed

Agree with you, Devils make sense but I really think He will start the season in Winnipeg.
A lot of Goalie got injured each year. It's to Jets Front office to manage it and get the bigger return they can get.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
How does NJ even fit him in? Its not like they have a ton of dead weight on their roster.

Vitek goes back and helle has small retention, or Winnipeg retains max, someone from the roster with a small hit goes back and maybe they run a short roster for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad