Post-Game Talk: Connor Crushes California: Seks, Drakes and Rock n Roll, and also Baby Cucumbers

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I hope we can get a capable, reliable, back up sooner rather than later. No disrespect to LB, but it'd be nice to rely on a known commodity down the stretch to rest Dadbot.

Thatd be nice, but right now well have to roll with LB. He was/is on a pretty short leash and a span of 2 bad games probably costs him back up gig this year. But if he can pull out performances like he did versus Calgary id be fine rolling with him

Although with most recent wins I think the leash just got longer. Oilers can afford some losses and if the back up market costs to much to get a rental, I think well stand pat or spend those assets on upgrades elsewhere. An upgrade on Brossoit is probably a back up goalie in the good to great range (ala Johnson or Griess), not sure how much they are going for. Maybe Halak if they retain 50% salary and give us something nice

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Thatd be nice, but right now well have to roll with LB. He was/is on a pretty short leash and a span of 2 bad games probably costs him back up gig this year. But if he can pull out performances like he did versus Calgary id be fine rolling with him

Although with most recent wins I think the leash just got longer. Oilers can afford some losses and if the back up market costs to much to get a rental, I think well stand pat or spend those assets on upgrades elsewhere. An upgrade on Brossoit is probably a back up goalie in the good to great range (ala Johnson or Griess), not sure how much they are going for. Maybe Halak if they retain 50% salary and give us something nice

Yeah, we'll have to rely on LB to step up unless we do grab a back up. I wish the Gus experiment would have ended a lot sooner than it did, and we were able to give LB some more starts, but what can you do. As far as price, a good backup shouldn't be too costly, the goalie market being what it is.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
16179379_1192903244097383_6705613668573681967_o.jpg

"TFW when the Oilers pass you in the standings" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
For a smaller player.. Drake Caggiula is a pretty gritty and feisty player. I've seen him lay some pretty nice hits to guys quite bigger than him.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Looking at the first 10 pages of the GDT, I guess I'm one of the few people who where watching the first period and thinking:

- It's shocking how much of a different style SJ is playing to Anaheim. There was none of that after the play chippyness and cross checking. Skill game vs skill game.
- Wasn't phased by the first SJ goal, figured it was going to be a close entertaining game with some goals scored.
- Refs were good.
- Anaheim scores 6-7 if Talbot doesn't stand on his head. ANH looked like a much tougher match up to me.

I'd much rather face that SJ skill team than an Anaheim team that has nearly the skill, but larger bodies and plays rough/dirty.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
For a smaller player.. Drake Caggiula is a pretty gritty and feisty player. I've seen him lay some pretty nice hits to guys quite bigger than him.

Drake and Benning are both kind of on the smaller side, but ferocious competitors who have taken down bigger players. This has been the best part of the new Oilers identity, especially since college players aren't usually renowned for physical play!

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Looking at the first 10 pages of the GDT, I guess I'm one of the few people who where watching the first period and thinking:

- It's shocking how much of a different style SJ is playing to Anaheim. There was none of that after the play chippyness and cross checking. Skill game vs skill game.
- Wasn't phased by the first SJ goal, figured it was going to be a close entertaining game with some goals scored.
- Refs were good.
- Anaheim scores 6-7 if Talbot doesn't stand on his head. ANH looked like a much tougher match up to me.

I'd much rather face that SJ skill team than an Anaheim team that has nearly the skill, but larger bodies and plays rough/dirty.

It's interesting because in my own opinion, I'd much rather play a series against Anaheim!

The Sharks are just such a well oiled machine on the transition game and their forecheck is relentless. While our defense by committee has been working out better than expected, I wouldn't want talbot to have to bail us out multiple games in a row like he did last night.

Anaheim on the other hand is nastier and like to grind it out, but I have more faith in wingers like Lucic, Maroon and Kassian to step up against that. For as much flak as Lucic has received this season, I don't believe the Ducks have anyone who can match him in the corners.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011

- Refs were good.

They were consistent, in that they missed a large number of calls, either intentionally or unintentionally for both sides. But I would not call them good. Both teams had a number of complaints against the refs last night.

Drake and Benning are both kind of on the smaller side, but ferocious competitors who have taken down bigger players. This has been the best part of the new Oilers identity, especially since college players aren't usually renowned for physical play!

It's the Milan Lucic factor in effect. When you have the toughest physical specimen in the league on your team, you can afford to kinda get carried away with playing chippy/physical without suffering serious repercussions.

See: Brad Marchand and Torey Krug when Lucic was in Boston.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
They were consistent, in that they missed a large number of calls, either intentionally or unintentionally for both sides. But I would not call them good. Both teams had a number of complaints against the refs last night.

After the first 10 minutes or so it was clear the game wouldn't be a complete gong show. There were also many people in the thread saying when Connor had that early chance that it was a clear penalty, when it was a clean play.

By contrast in the Anaheim game it was clear it was going to be rough and dirty, tons of cross checks early on, then the refs call a weak cross check on Perry. At that point you knew that none of the players were going to have any idea what was a penalty for the rest of the game.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
It's interesting because in my own opinion, I'd much rather play a series against Anaheim!

The Sharks are just such a well oiled machine on the transition game and their forecheck is relentless.

Agree here. Sharks are just so composed and surgical with the puck, tons of patience, perfect passes, great movement.

I think the Oilers would have to be at the top of their game to beat either team in a 7 game series, I just don't think against Anaheim they make it to game 5 without a few guys being injured. I think for sure they'd do some dangerous plays to Edmonton's best players, where as against the Sharks I think they'd just have to be younger and more skilled and hopefully ride Talbot.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It's the Milan Lucic factor in effect. When you have the toughest physical specimen in the league on your team, you can afford to kinda get carried away with playing chippy/physical without suffering serious repercussions.

See: Brad Marchand and Torey Krug when Lucic was in Boston.

I'm sure it helps having Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, etc... but you don't see guys like RNH and Eberle playing 'bigger' than before. Caggiula just has it in himself to play this way.. same with Benning.

I'm sure it helps having Lucic, Maroon, Kassian, etc... but you don't see guys like RNH and Eberle playing 'bigger' than before. Caggiula just has it in himself to play this way.. same with Benning.

RNH and Eberle are finesse players. That's just not in their game(s).

Marchand, Krug, Ference etc. were physical, feisty guys their entire lives (just like Caggiula and Benning)...but it was particularly earmarked during the Bruins playoff runs because having Lucic back there gave them some extra bite.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

I'd disagree, Eberle has thrown around more weight this year than the rest of his career combined

sandhu111

Mar 17, 2008
Edmonton, AB
i just made a thread on the main trade forum asking what a team would give up for Hall defensemen wise if they could acquire him. The answers really shine a light on the real value of a LW when your giving up a D, Just got tired of the trolls who kept saying they should have gotten better.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

I definitely have seen Eberle cross-checking players behind the net earlier in the year. Not so much since he's been with Pouliot and Nuge

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Oh crap, when talking about the refs I totally forgot about the made up double minor. That was garbage.

I stand by my opinion, just on one leg now.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The reffing was 2.5 out of 5. That 4 mins on Larsson lost them 1 full point because I am biased

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Holy crap, this PGT was amazing. I haven't read one front to back in forever.

Too bad I missed the gongshow last night :laugh:

These two in particular really got me:
The amount of PGT hits record high same day as the Dow Jones illumunati confirmed

Untitled.jpg

we dared to dream.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE JUST KILLED BOTH THE DUCKS AND THE SHARKS GUYS. WHAT IS GOING ON?! MY BRAIN WON'T PROCESS IT!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00