Confirmed with Link: Connor Brown to WSH for 2024 2nd round pick

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Connor Brown has the 8th lowest offensive zone start % over the last 4 years, 2500 ES minutes minimum, 2nd lowest behind Horvat among forwards at Brown’s minutes. Brown has the same number of ES points over that span as Horvat in 4 fewer games - who would have guessed that - many more than Faksa, Zajak, Foligno, or Blake Coleman who are in that 40ish% club. Very good player.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
This nerdy assnalytics are too stupid to even take context into account. Connor Brown has gotten the hardest matchups and defensive missions possible in Ottawa, he has been the coach's swiss army knife in every situation. The average hockey fan doesn't have any idea about all of this, they might refer to hockeydb.com or analytics

Totally agree, though he should still know better. We had Jay Beagle here for years -- another actual defensive standout that analytics weren't kind to because of his deployments. He was our only decent faceoff guy, so he got a lot of extra defensive-zone and shorthanded assignments just to shelter other centers on important draws. Nowhere near the offensive upside of Brown, but nearly identical two-way and special teams play, overall motors, and the kind of character effort that make their teammates and fans adore them.

But look at fancy stats with the wrong tilt of your head and they look unremarkable in spots.

Fancy stats are useful tools for evaluating talent, but there is no model that tells the whole story, and this is an example of how it can go wrong. Connor Brown is a very good hockey player and worth every cent of his contract.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
1657789096663.png

To summarise:
He gets around 46% offensive zone starts
Plays against high quality opposition
Even with these two 'negative' situations (by this i mean they should make your posession/scoring metrics lower by nature) he still has a positive posession numbers.
Goals for and against are not as good - but that could be due to Sh% as well which I havnt looked into.

Possession wise - he was better than almost our entire team last season with only Dowd, Hathaway and Hagelin playing against tougher opposition.

All of that said I trust the eye more than anything so we will see. Its a decent salary hes on so I hope that offensive side is there.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think you'll love him. With CG and Batherson he was pushed down to 3rd line for us and already said he wouldn't re-sign, so we had to move him. Plus, we're in a money crunch as well.
Good on the PK, really nice middle 6 winger IMO. Lots to love about Conner Brown

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Totally agree, though he should still know better. We had Jay Beagle here for years -- another actual defensive standout that analytics weren't kind to because of his deployments. He was our only decent faceoff guy, so he got a lot of extra defensive-zone and shorthanded assignments just to shelter other centers on important draws. Nowhere near the offensive upside of Brown, but nearly identical two-way and special teams play, overall motors, and the kind of character effort that make their teammates and fans adore them.

But look at fancy stats with the wrong tilt of your head and they look unremarkable in spots.

Fancy stats are useful tools for evaluating talent, but there is no model that tells the whole story, and this is an example of how it can go wrong. Connor Brown is a very good hockey player and worth every cent of his contract.

Just for reference, here is Jay Beagle’s player card from 2014-17, his first 3 years under Barry Trotz:

1657803189111.png

Doesn’t look like a bad defensive player to me. This is a perfectly good 4th line player, as Beagle was before he left DC. Never doubt the analytics!

To get back on topic with Connor Brown: he’s a fine player. I hope I don’t have to say that again. He’s responsible defensively, but outside of Alex Ovechkin this team is full of defensively responsible forwards. There were other priorities the team should have addressed that his $3.6 million cap hit may now impact: a top 6 center, a top 4 LD, and an offensively impactful top 6 winger were the priorities in order this offseason IMO (after goaltending, which they addressed). It’s possible they could still address one of these needs in the remaining UFA period, but they could have likely addressed at least two of these needs with $3.6 million more available.

Again, I don’t dislike this trade because I think the player isn’t good. I dislike this trade because he doesn’t fill an obvious need and the opportunity cost is high.

Reactions: Hivemind

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Just for reference, here is Jay Beagle’s player card from 2014-17, his first 3 years under Barry Trotz:

View attachment 569113

Doesn’t look like a bad defensive player to me. This is a perfectly good 4th line player, as Beagle was before he left DC. Never doubt the analytics!

To get back on topic with Connor Brown: he’s a fine player. I hope I don’t have to say that again. He’s responsible defensively, but outside of Alex Ovechkin this team is full of defensively responsible forwards. There were other priorities the team should have addressed that his $3.6 million cap hit may now impact: a top 6 center, a top 4 LD, and an offensively impactful top 6 winger were the priorities in order this offseason IMO (after goaltending, which they addressed). It’s possible they could still address one of these needs in the remaining UFA period, but they could have likely addressed at least two of these needs with $3.6 million more available.

Again, I don’t dislike this trade because I think the player isn’t good. I dislike this trade because he doesn’t fill an obvious need and the opportunity cost is high.
I appreciate all of your analytical and statistical models, but, hockey isn't all just about them. The eye test, chemistry, leadership, morale, intangibles, and physical traits still matter A LOT. A team solely built relying on analytics will never win the Cup IMO because there is so many factors that they do not take into account because there is no quantifiable statistical measurement for them.

A healthy mix of everything is what builds a Cup team.

To me, Brown is a great top-nine winger that is going to eat up some of the hardest defensive zone minutes, play on the PK, and still be able to chip in 40-50 points while moving up and down the lineup.

If the Caps want to add a stud at C they are still more than capable to do so and they can if they want to.

No need for panic from us.

Brown is a great addition IMO.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Since leaving Toronto for Ottawa he's actually scored at a 50 point pace over an 82 game season. He's a right shot and is an option for a top 6 spot which is helpful given that Ovechkin and Oshie are the elder statesman of the team and Wilson will be out for half the year. The only other right shots are 4th liners and depth guys (Dowd, Hathaway, Leason)

Reactions: Langway

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Brown himself isn't a bad add, the downside is the opportunity cost. If there's still more pieces in motion (particularly at the center slot), it could still pan out. But adding Brown limits their center budget, likely rules them out of acquiring someone like Puljujarvi, and doesn't really address the team's lack of speed or transition game.

False. Connor Brown is absolutely a PLUS skater. He's also a guy that creates turnovers constantly in all 3 zones*

* Connor Brown is 6th in Takeaways since 2020-21, behind Matthews, Draisaitl, Marner, Stone and McDavid (in less GP than any of them except Stone). Let that sink in

He transitions extremely quickly from defense to offense, which is why he has been the most used NHL forward on the PK since 2019-20 :

Examples :

Start at 2:45 on the 1st link
Start at 5:00 on the 2nd link

These 2 plays summarize well the kind of player Brown is. A relentless puck hound, smart and quick, with great speed and tenacity. Flawless work ethic, great attention to details. He is a coach's dream.

He's a good-to-great defensive winger for the middle six, but his production likely isn't going to be as high as it was in Ottawa given that he's not going to get 20 minutes/night or much PP time in Washington. His PKing is also somewhat overrated because he's a big short handed threat (but his team gives up plenty of goals against while he's killing penalties).

Don't worry, I understand why you're saying this as an outside observer but hold on. Brown plays a LOT because 1) he PKs a lot 2) he's constantly out there against other team top lines 3) he plays in every situation, particularly to protect leads at the end of periods/games. He was the coach "swiss army knife" type player that was pretty much ALWAYS used in any defensive mission.

He doesn't need that much PP time to produce offense. Only 17 of his 117 pts in Ottawa came on the PP. 85% of production at ES+PK is a higher ratio than most productive NHL forwards...

And yes the goals against weren't that great but keep in mind the team he played for, we have been absolutely terrible defensively for most of the last 5 years. Mostly because of a putrid defense (Coburn, Zaitsev, Gudbranson and Josh freaking Brown getting a lot of PK time) as well as a broken down goalie (Murray) or inexperienced goalies (Hogberg, Daccord, Gustavsson). And IMO, the Sens coaching staff is really bad for the defensive side of things, they take way too many games in a season to instill some kinda of good hockey defensive systems, which is why the Senators have had some horrible starts in each of the last 2 seasons

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Brown will get PP2 time in the bumper spot while Wilson is out and you never know how hampered Wilson may be. Does it take him a bit to fully find his stride? You also don't really know how durable Oshie can manage to be these days. So it's worthwhile PP insurance at minimal cost and just the sort of player Lavi would play an awful lot. I don't doubt he's the new Sheary and perhaps then some.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Brown will get PP2 time in the bumper spot while Wilson is out and you never know how hampered Wilson may be. Does it take him a bit to fully find his stride? You also don't really know how durable Oshie can manage to be these days. So it's worthwhile PP insurance at minimal cost and just the sort of player Lavi would play an awful lot. I don't doubt he's the new Sheary and perhaps then some.

And this is exactly why they should have targeted someone with more upside and someone who would be a more permanent fixture alongside Kuznetsov and Ovechkin even when Wilson returns.

The fact is 8-92-43 haven't been very good together since the Cup run. And Oshie's not really a reliable option on the top line at this point either. So unless Brown is suited for a permanent 1RW role I can't really get on board with the deal doing much to help the team.

I would have paid more in a trade to get Puljujarvi instead, for instance. He has more upside than Brown, is a better playdriver in both directions, likely would have come in at a similar cap hit, is younger, and would have been under team control for longer as an RFA. He already proved that he makes star players better in Edmonton, he likely would have done the same in DC.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm always willing to listen to other ideas. I don't know anything about those metrics, so I've been curious.

In the end, twabby's argument is that the GAR model has a value assigned to Brown and they're comparing that metric to other players and assessing Brown like that.

Some of the things that twabby doesn't care to look at, I do. I value that stuff (like active sticks, hustling, blocking shots and positioning) because I was raised in the game and played for a very long time. The GAR stuff, from what I've read, is an estimate based on statistical models. It has grey areas in it and I wouldn't evaluate a player solely on it yet, but that's because I don't know how those numbers are assigned. I don't understand the bias for valuing that number above other things because I'm ignorant when it comes to that stat and what it really means.

It's very hard to compare player to player because there is way too many different variables in hockey. This is not baseball, advanced stats will never tell us the same thing. In hockey, you have 10 players and 2 goalies battling for a puck at the same time. Quality of teammates, quality of competition, trailing, leading, end of periods/games, start of periods/games, zone starts, roles, defensive missions, matchup missions, special teams, chemistry, injuries, coaching, etc etc etc, so many factors.

Sorry to say in that bluntly, but relying entirely on "statistical models" is stupid. You do that and you end up being Byron Bader.

The only realistic way to look at analytics is to take it as ONE information, exactly like for any other stat, this is not and will never be the "be-all and end-all"

If Brown is so good why did the Sens dump him when it looks like they are trying to win now?

Simply because their GM is stupid (this is based on 6 years observing him). I don't remember saying that for any other NHL executive in over 3 decades

Giroux is the bigger name (and even better) so him and his salary replaces Brown, all Sens fans accept that. The internal budget is obviously important in Ottawa, above anything else. Problem is Pierre Dorion doesn't seem to have any notion about "asset management". He doesn't understand what "buy low sell high" means, which is why you'll see him let a 25 y/o guy like Anthony Duclair walk as a UFA, for example.

This was the worst timing to move Brown's salary (see Pacioretty trade, obvious buyer's market) but Dorion still did when there was NO RUSH to do it. I doubt the entirety of Brown's 4 M$ salary this season had to be paid in full shortly.

#moneyinmoneyoutFTW!

He's an instant fan favorite. This is what he did in his first game in Ottawa

Not that it's spectacular or anything but a very nice visit card of things to come. A puck hound looking to pounce on every little mistake from the opponent

Advanced stats don't tell the whole story. Patrick Wiercioch used to be an analytics darling. 'nuff said

Reactions: PlushMinus

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's very hard to compare player to player because there is way too many different variables in hockey. This is not baseball, advanced stats will never tell us the same thing. In hockey, you have 10 players and 2 goalies battling for a puck at the same time. Quality of teammates, quality of competition, trailing, leading, end of periods/games, start of periods/games, zone starts, roles, defensive missions, matchup missions, special teams, chemistry, injuries, coaching, etc etc etc, so many factors.

Advanced stats don't tell the whole story. Patrick Wiercioch used to be an analytics darling. 'nuff said

But GAR and xGAR do take all of these factors into account. It's why I think GAR stats are much more powerful than advanced stats from even a few years ago such as on-ice Corsi, xGF, etc. Even relative stats are kind of archaic at this point compared to GAR.

I think Wiercioch is a perfect example of a guy where if you just look at Corsi or CorsiRel you get an entirely different picture than if you take into account his context like GAR does. GAR sees Wiercioch as a very ordinary third pairing type defender, even if his on-ice metrics were great:

1657810594677.png

So the arguments that GAR don't capture context really fall on deaf ears because these models were specifically designed to take context into account to overcome the limitations of the old stats.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I would have paid more in a trade to get Puljujarvi instead, for instance. He has more upside than Brown, is a better playdriver in both directions, likely would have come in at a similar cap hit, is younger, and would have been under team control for longer as an RFA. He already proved that he makes star players better in Edmonton, he likely would have done the same in DC.
In Toronto and on Tkachuk’s line in Ottawa Brown has absolutely shown he makes star players better more than Puljujarvi has

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In Toronto and on Tkachuk’s line in Ottawa Brown has absolutely shown he makes star players better more than Puljujarvi has

I don't think this is true. Over the past 3 years Tkachuk has fared better away from Brown than with him in terms of goals and about the same with and without Brown in terms of chances.

Contrast that with Puljujarvi where both McDavid and Draisaitl see a large bump in their goal and chance differential with Puljujarvi instead of without him.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Puljujarvi doesn't kill penalties so it doesn't meet the mark as far as Wilson cover goes. Overall that's still more of a developmental target. While he's an analytics darling I don't know about his offensive hockey sense and skill level. Not being able to produce in that kind of advantageous set-up would set off a lot of alarm bells for me regardless of what the possession stats may indicate. Good underlying sort of player but betting on that translating into an immanent production break-out is still a bit risky. Who knows if and when his skill level catches up.

It's also no sure thing Puljujarvi moves. He's been on the block for a few weeks at least and EDM hasn't managed to make that move yet. They'll have LTIR room to work with but I'm not sure they'll get better cap value by other means. You'd think if they could get that it would have been done already.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I don't think this is true. Over the past 3 years Tkachuk has fared better away from Brown than with him in terms of goals and about the same with and without Brown in terms of chances.

Contrast that with Puljujarvi where both McDavid and Draisaitl see a large bump in their goal and chance differential with Puljujarvi instead of without him.
Tkachuk without Brown starts in the offensive zone 61.25% of the time, with him 43.65% of the time, that is an enormous difference yet the expected GF% and most advanced stats are higher with Brown.
Pool party's effects have been negligible

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Brown should be a good fit, I like it. I liked Puljujarvi as an option, but really i just wanted to move a 2nd for a versatile winger that could move up and down the line up. I like Browns special teams experience and he's the type of player that Lavi will love.

I'd run

Ovi-Kuznetsov-Mantha
Sheary-McMichael-Brown
Johansson-Eller-Oshie
AJF-Dowd-Hathaway

Find a way to swap Eller++ for Miller and that would be very nice. Bump Sheary down to 4LW and Mantha to 2LW when Wilson returns

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Puljujarvi doesn't kill penalties so it doesn't meet the mark as far as Wilson cover goes. Overall that's still more of a developmental target. While he's an analytics darling I don't know about his offensive hockey sense and skill level. Not being able to produce in that kind of advantageous set-up would set off a lot of alarm bells for me regardless of what the possession stats may indicate. Good underlying sort of player but betting on that translating into an immanent production break-out is still a bit risky. Who knows if and when his skill level catches up.

It's also no sure thing Puljujarvi moves. He's been on the block for a few weeks at least and EDM hasn't managed to make that move yet. They'll have LTIR room to work with but I'm not sure they'll get better cap value by other means. You'd think if they could get that it would have been done already.

Kuznetsov didn't kill penalties either, until he did. I'm sure Puljujarvi would have been fine in that role if given a chance. There's nothing about his skillset that says he can't do it.

I think you and I kind of differ on what it means to produce. Puljujarvi produces by making the team much better. Who cares if he doesn't score a lot? He impacts his team's goal differential in a positive way. Isn't it all about winning and losing?

It's no sure thing Puljujarvi moves but it sure seems like he's available. There's a ton of smoke and I'd be surprised if he stays.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think you and I kind of differ on what it means to produce. Puljujarvi produces by making the team much better. Who cares if he doesn't score a lot? He impacts his team's goal differential in a positive way. Isn't it all about winning and losing?
Certainly at times the player actually needs to produce as well, esp. a winger. I can buy that argument much more with centers and defensemen that are carrying a much heavier work load defensively. For a winger they've got to also have the goods offensively to a greater extent. It's not like he was getting prime match-up duty or something to where the offensive production can just be hand-waved away.

He's a complementary top sixer at best and not necessarily anything more than that. A decent regular season sort of player but when the playoffs came around he was rather quickly demoted. He was a ten minute a night guy come playoff time. An even player. He had one point in EDM's final 13 playoff games. So, again, not sure I'd bet on an immanent break-out or that he's altogether an instrumental winner. When it mattered most he really wasn't relied upon at all.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Tkachuk without Brown starts in the offensive zone 61.25% of the time, with him 43.65% of the time, that is an enormous difference yet the expected GF% and most advanced stats are higher with Brown.
Pool party's effects have been negligible

You're reading these stats wrong. Tkachuk's xGF is 51.66% with Brown, 51.40% without him. A negligible difference. Tim Stutzle similarly did not benefit from playing with Brown, despite being a skilled player himself.

Meanwhile McDavid + Puljujarvi is 60%, McDavid - Puljujarvi is 56.5%, a noticeable difference. And Draisaitl + Puljujarvi is 59%, while Draisaitl - Puljujarvi is at 45%, an enormous difference. McDavid and Draisaitl unquestionably played better with Puljujarvi on their wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad