Connected to Xbox one live, but cannot play anyone online

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hi there, my son wants to play someone online, and is connected to Xbox one live, and the internet connection is fine. However he is unable to play others. I've looked everywhere online and can't find a solution. Does anyone know how to fix this?
We've restarted, and we cleared the MAC address, and still nothing. The message that comes up is "Searching for an opponent" but nothing ever happens. Then the message "there were no opponents found. Please try your search again later"
Game in question (if it matters) is FIFA 17.
Any suggestions?
Please and thank you!

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Do you pay for xbox live gold?

There's a monthly fee to play games online. It's pretty cheap though. Like 7 bucks a month or something.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Have you tried the power reset? Unplug the console from the back for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I had this problem when I first got my Xbox one. Same exact problem except it was with NHL 15. The problem is with your Nat Type setting. It is likely on strict which is why you cannot connect to other players. Change it to open and you should be good.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hmmm....We are on "moderate". We've watched six or seven YouTube videos and followed each step exactly, and can't get it to show "open".
Maybe this is the problem, but for the life of me we can't get it to switch.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Hmmm....We are on "moderate". We've watched six or seven YouTube videos and followed each step exactly, and can't get it to show "open".
Maybe this is the problem, but for the life of me we can't get it to switch.

Do you use wired or wifi? You said your connection was fine so I didn't suggest the moderate thing which was likely the issue What's the speed of the internet? Xbox one is really bad with how the open nat is. 360 was just annoying but you could deal with it

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Thank you. We went to bed last night with no luck however this morning it seems to work, even though it still doesn't show "open", it still shows moderate.
I read that link Kelly, and honestly most of it went over my head. I'm horrible with tech.
Thank you ALL for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.

Go Leafs Go

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Hi again!
Update - STILL doesn't work. When i said above it worked the following morning, by the evening it wasnt working anymore.
I have been on the phone for approximately 5 hours in the last week with both Microsoft (3 calls) and Rogers (3 calls).
The guy last night at Rogers was very helpful and finally, after months, got the NAT to show OPEN. However, my son still cannot play anyone online and still gets the same error messages. Actually, he CAN play in FIFA under "advanced" but ends up playing guys with super ultimate teams and gets scored on immediately (haha), so he just wants to play under a regular setting....Called Microsoft back, and she said 2 things - 1. He must have a setting inside the game somewhere, where he is set up to play advanced only (i asked him, he said he had no clue and would never have set it up that way), or 2. I have to contact the Publisher (EA Sports)....so i created an account and asked this morning on their blogs.

He also has NHL 17, and cannot connect to play anyone online, in any setting, advanced or otherwise.

If anyone knows anything about this please help. I've lost the few remaining hairs i had left, trying to help the poor guy out.

Thank you! :)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
You said he is selecting "advanced"... that's why he is getting connected with advanced teams. Maybe that's all people play?

Have you tried different games (besides EA sports games)?

If you can connect sometimes, watch youtubes and do everything else online just fine then it seems either internet connection or account related. Do you happen to know what your ping is? Most games wont connect people with high pings to online matches because it would be an awful experience. Which is what it sounds like your kid is having if they do get connected.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
No, he isn't selecting advanced himself, but thats the only way he can play online. When he tries to play regular, there are no opponents found (which is impossible).
The only other online game he has tried, is NHL 17, with no ability to play online whatsoever (no 'advanced' option or otherwise).
We watched and tried so many youtube videos already :)
I dont know what a ping is - The woman from microsoft asked something similar (cant remember specifically what she called it), and it was along the lines you are thinking, but she ended up checking and said his 'profile/ping/etc' was not causing him to play advanced users only.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
No, he isn't selecting advanced himself, but thats the only way he can play online. When he tries to play regular, there are no opponents found (which is impossible).
The only other online game he has tried, is NHL 17, with no ability to play online whatsoever (no 'advanced' option or otherwise).
I dont know what a ping is - The woman from microsoft asked something similar (cant remember specifically what she called it), and it was along the lines you are thinking, but she ended up checking and said his 'profile/ping/etc' was not causing him to play advanced users only.

Ping is essentially what is used to determine if there is a connection to a network as well as how fast the response time is. If you have a ridiculous ping, you may not be able to connect or when you finally do connect, there will be tons of lag.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
http://beta.speedtest.net/

Go there, click go and it will tell you your internet speeds as well as your ping. Please let us know what it says for Ping, Download and Upload.

For your reference:

6531450647.png

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

No problem. I feel invested in finding out what the issue is lol.
Forgive me if I am just not understanding some of this stuff that you are experiencing too but when you say "no ability to play online whatsoever" with NHL 17 what do you mean? Does it just spin trying to find people and never does? Do you get an error or something?

http://beta.speedtest.net/

Go there, click go and it will tell you your internet speeds as well as your ping. Please let us know what it says for Ping, Download and Upload.

For your reference:

6531450647.png

Well the ping is going to depend on where they connect to but yeah getting a high ping to somewhere close to where you are at would be a good indication. Not a bad idea to try this.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Make sure the parental controls are not turned on for the account. That can stop you from going into multiplayer matches.

Its possible an update turned it on if his age is on the account.

Just a guess.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Make sure the parental controls are not turned on for the account. That can stop you from going into multiplayer matches.

Its possible an update turned it on if his age is on the account.

Just a guess.

Good point. I had thought of this and forgot to mention it.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Ok I tried the ping thing
I don't know how to post the screenshot, sorry, but here are the results:
Ping 13 ms
Download 44.32 Mbps
Upload 16.21 Mbps

Parental controls - I couldn't find them under family settings, however wouldn't the settings only apply to games like call of duty, and not games like hockey and soccer?

Thank you ALL for your responses.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Ok I tried the ping thing ��
I don't know how to post the screenshot, sorry, but here are the results:
Ping 13 ms
Download 44.32 Mbps
Upload 16.21 Mbps

Parental controls - I couldn't find them under family settings, however wouldn't the settings only apply to games like call of duty, and not games like hockey and soccer?

Thank you ALL for your responses.

I think they can stop you from playing all matches on-line. Who has the master account on the Xbox, you or him? Also try different games. My guess is it's something with your ISP. Maybe they need to replace your router. It sounds like they opened the ports for you. This thread was started two months ago, so he was never able to play online????

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Honestly I would go to xbox.com and reach a support person over chat and ask for their help, they're usually pretty helpful for these types of things.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
I have to call them back, for a fourth time, and have them escalate it. the NAT shows STRICT again. I am so tired of this. It was my sons birthday on the weekend too and he got FIFA18 (pre order) - i wanted to tell him there's no point but i didnt have the heart lol.
God i miss the simple days of Colecovision.

Thanks to all for suggestions and comments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad