Conn Smythe Winners - Tiers (1980-Present)

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
The last four Cup were all, more or less, won by a committee, to a point there were no runaway Conn Smythe candidates. Oddly enough, truly impressive solo performances were on the teams that lost (Karlsson, MAF).
It seems to me that there were two very clear candidates for the Caps' cup...

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
"Two," not "one." "Three" if you count Holtby.
Two is hardly a "committee", and while Holtby had a good playoffs it was clearly between Ovechkin and Kuznetsov.

It's not too often you have a team like the '15 Blackhawks where it is one guy who is head and shoulders above everyone else, from the very start. I knew the 'hawks were gonna win it again from the first round of game one, just by watching Duncan Keith.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
First off, great article @Hockey Outsider. All around well reasoned analysis. What tiers do you put Hedman and Vasilevskiy in for the back to back cups the Lightning just won? As a Lightning fan I have Hedman tier 2 and Vasilevskiy a low 2/high 3, mainly because Kucherov was my CS choice through the first 3 rounds. Vasy was 2nd though, and his finals performance ultimately put him over the top. Crazy how Kuch became the first player other than Gretzky and Lemieux to score at least 30 in back to back postseasons, yet he won the Smythe in neither. Point also had a playoff leading 14 goals each postseason yet didn't win it. He was my 2nd choice in 2020 after Hedman.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
First off, great article @Hockey Outsider. All around well reasoned analysis. What tiers do you put Hedman and Vasilevskiy in for the back to back cups the Lightning just won? As a Lightning fan I have Hedman tier 2 and Vasilevskiy a low 2/high 3, mainly because Kucherov was my CS choice through the first 3 rounds. Vasy was 2nd though, and his finals performance ultimately put him over the top. Crazy how Kuch became the first player other than Gretzky and Lemieux to score at least 30 in back to back postseasons, yet he won the Smythe in neither. Point also had a playoff leading 14 goals each postseason yet didn't win it. He was my 2nd choice in 2020 after Hedman.

Without too much thought or analysis, I'd put Hedman (2020) towards the bottom of Tier 2 or maybe the top of Tier 3. It was a very good all-around performance. The only issue I had is, from what I recall, Hedman started to falter in the SC Finals. His performance was at least as good as Duncan Keith (2015) through three rounds. In the finals, his production was very good (in fact, his scoring per game increased), but I remember he was on the ice for a lot of goals against. Overall, I think I'd rank him behind the other three defenseman I have in Tier 2 (MacInnis 1989, Leetch 1994, Keith 2015), but probably ahead of the two I have in Tier 3 (Stevens 2000 and Lidstrom 2002).

I'd rank Vasilievsky high in Tier 3 (which isn't a bad thing). Objectively his performance was very strong. If I look at my own research on the adjusted save percentage for SC winning goalies, his performance is roughly between Patrick Roy in 2001 (who won the Smythe - I would have picked Sakic) and Ed Belfour in 1999 (the voters went with Joe Nieuwendyk). Objectively it was a very strong performance, but I would have given the trophy to Kucherov who, adjusted for era, had one of the most productive (non-Gretzky/Lemieux) playoff runs of the past 40+ years.

Do we know the Conn Smythe voting results for 2020 and 2021? It wouldn't surprise me if Kucherov finished second both times. There are very few players from the past ~40 years who had two consecutive playoff runs that strong, and who didn't win the Smythe in either case.

Reactions: LightningStorm

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Without too much thought or analysis, I'd put Hedman (2020) towards the bottom of Tier 2 or maybe the top of Tier 3. It was a very good all-around performance. The only issue I had is, from what I recall, Hedman started to falter in the SC Finals. His performance was at least as good as Duncan Keith (2015) through three rounds. In the finals, his production was very good (in fact, his scoring per game increased), but I remember he was on the ice for a lot of goals against. Overall, I think I'd rank him behind the other three defenseman I have in Tier 2 (MacInnis 1989, Leetch 1994, Keith 2015), but probably ahead of the two I have in Tier 3 (Stevens 2000 and Lidstrom 2002).

I'd rank Vasilievsky high in Tier 3 (which isn't a bad thing). Objectively his performance was very strong. If I look at my own research on the adjusted save percentage for SC winning goalies, his performance is roughly between Patrick Roy in 2001 (who won the Smythe - I would have picked Sakic) and Ed Belfour in 1999 (the voters went with Joe Nieuwendyk). Objectively it was a very strong performance, but I would have given the trophy to Kucherov who, adjusted for era, had one of the most productive (non-Gretzky/Lemieux) playoff runs of the past 40+ years.

Do we know the Conn Smythe voting results for 2020 and 2021? It wouldn't surprise me if Kucherov finished second both times. There are very few players from the past ~40 years who had two consecutive playoff runs that strong, and who didn't win the Smythe in either case.
Conn Smythe Voting in 2020 and 2021
2020: PHWA’s 2020 Conn Smythe Ballots: Hedman’s razor thin win – Professional Hockey Writers Association
2021: PHWA’s 2021 Conn Smythe Trophy ballots: Vasilevskiy’s resounding win – Professional Hockey Writers Association
As we can see, Point came closer to winning in 2020 than Kucherov in 2021. I do think they were our best forward in each of those respective playoff runs.

In 2020, I think rounds 2-3 clinch Hedman being comfortably in tier 2. He had 8 goals and was +15 in 11 games. I think the amount of goals he was on the ice for was even less than the amount he scored in those rounds. By then he'd also clinched being the CS winner if the Bolts won the cup. Point was our best player in the finals and was also already our 2nd best through 3 rounds, but not even his 5 goals in 6 SCF games could make up for how dominant Hedman had been entering the finals.

For 2021, let me correct myself on one thing. I said Kuch was the leader through round 3 and Vasy 2nd, but in my mind him and Point were actually tied for 2nd. Point had scored a goal in 7 straight games in the span of rounds 2-3. Not scoring a goal in the finals completely took him out of the race though. Vasy's dominant finals performance put him over the top. Only 2 goals allowed in 3 home gamess. 5 shutouts overall, including all 4 series clinching wins. In terms of being most valuable, he clinched the final 2 series with 1-0 shutouts. Since 1980, his 5 shutouts were a single postseason record for CS winning goalies. Ironic how Brodeur had a record 7 in 2003, but Giguere had already clinched it after the WCF, win or lose. I felt bad for Kuch not winning it after scoring at least 30 in back to back postseasons, but Vasy's dominance was too much to ignore. Though if Kuch's press conference was any indication, he doesn't feel bad about Vasy winning the CS one bit. Now that I think of it, Vasy's in tier 2, though not as comfortably as Heddy.

While I think the winner was right for both of the Bolts back to back cups in the end, I wouldn't consider Point and Kucherov undeserving winners if they won it in 2020 & 2021, respectively. They were worthy winners. It's just that Hedman and Vasilevskiy were the most worthy.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
which begs the inevitable question, what are the highest non-CS runs that could fit in the upper tiers?

'84 and '87 gretzky, would be the obvious ones. who else might belong in tiers 2 or 3?
Crosby (2009) 31 points in 24 GP and plus +9. 15 goals were most this century so far.

Stevens (1991) 17 goals and 33 points in 24 games and plus +14. 4th most goals in NHL history.

Barrasso (1992) 16-5 and a 2.82 GAA (great for that era) including 11 straight wins to finish out the playoffs. No way Pittsburgh gets by the Rangers sans Lemieux without Barrasso playing out of his mind.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: sanscosm

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
As for your OP, great job overall. I especially like how you didn't automatically dismiss a player as underserving just because another deserved it more. Here are a few thoughts I have on your assessments by tier. Since I'm in my early 30's, some of this comes only from research, not lived experience. Tier I is summed up well and I have nothing to add.

Tier II:
A couple more things to add about MacInnis in 1989. First, Gary Suter, their 2nd best d-man, got injured in R1, so MacInnis taking his game to a whole new level that postseason couldn't have come at a better time. 2nd, of his 7 goals, 4 came in the finals against Roy, who many consider the greatest playoff goalie ever. Of all CS -men since 1980, I have this as #1.

For Sakic's win in 1996 and almost one in 2001, what makes it even more impressive is that it was enough to win despite Forsberg either going cold (1996) or not playing (2001) against their 2 best opponents each postseason. While Sakic wasn't as good in the finals in 1996, he did all the heavy lifting offensively against the Hawks and Wings in rounds 2-3. Then after beating the 2 lowest seeds in the West in the first 2 rounds in 2001, Forsberg missed the rest of the playoffs, and Sakic played even better despite the Blues and Devils being much better opponents than the Canucks and Kings. Sakic was so great both postseasons they hardly even needed Forsberg's production. Weird how Forsberg's 3 best postseasons all ended in game 7 WCF losses in Dallas or Detroit.

Tier III

I'd thought about Potvin being robbed in 1981, which almost overshadows how he should've won in 1983 too. The bigger deal in 1981 wasn't that Potvin didn't win it, as Bossy also would've been a great choice. It's more that Goring did, and I don't think anyone will disagree with you having Goring in tier 4. I think Goring winning was heavily narrative driven, as he was viewed as the final piece to the Islanders dynasty. Trottier also had a better postseason than him. I think you can't go wrong with either Potvin or Bossy. Smith in 1983 was definitely more worthy than Goring in 1981, but I think Potvin definitely should've won in 1983. Scoring a point per game while containing Gretzky in the finals was a masterful performance.

Narratives also likely won Messier the 1984 CS. From what I've heard the Oilers had a narrative that they weren't tough and gritty enough to win it all. Having a physically imposing and intimidating forward like Messier who also scored a lot is something the hockey media likely ran with in terms of him giving the Oilers the championship grit and physicality they needed.

As a Bolts fan I agree with you about Richards when it comes to the GWG record being arbitrary. Still the clear choice though as he led the playoffs in goals and points. Funny how his 7 GWG overshadow his 2 goal game 6 when we were down 3-2 in the finals. Going into game 7, everyone knew he'd win the CS if the Bolts won, while a Flames victory would've meant Iginla.

I agree Kuznetsov was overall better than Ovechkin in 2018. But I don't think anyone is surprised that Ovechkin won it when he led the playoffs in goals and finally won his elusive cup. Everything was about him at that point.

Tier IV

As mentioned, I agree with Goring here. No case exists for him winning in 1981.

Agree about Hextall. IMO, a player on the losing team winning it needs to be at least bordering on a strong outlier, such as Giguere in 2003. Giguere was a good benchmark for a losing player to win it in that they should already have it clinched by round 3, since not even having a mediocre final in a losing effort was enough to take it away from him.

Agree about Federov over Vernon in 1997. That was mostly victory by committee.

As a fan of the late 90's Stars, I don't think there was a wrong choice between Nieuwendyk and Belfour. Nieuwendyk was a great clutch player for Dallas that year and led the playoffs in goals. Also, in the WCF, you wouldn't expect him to have the best series of all the centers with Sakic, Forsberg and Modano there, but he did. The narrative aspect to this was Nieuwendyk led the Stars in goals in 1998, but then missed the playoffs after Bryan Marchment injured his knee the first game. Him coming back the next year with a great postseason was viewed as a great triumph on his part.

Niedermayer was my pick for 2007. I think what likely hurt Pronger with voters was him getting suspended twice, especially since it was in the later rounds both times.

Kings in 2014 won by committee, and I didn't have any strong thoughts on who should've won it that year. Williams was fine, and I also would've been fine with Kopitar.

Crosby winning it in 2016 was a joke. That easily should've been Kessel, especially since he was the leader of the HBK line. I couldn't have put it any better than your description of it being a lifetime achievement award.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Crosby winning it in 2016 was a joke. That easily should've been Kessel, especially since he was the leader of the HBK line. I couldn't have put it any better than your description of it being a lifetime achievement award.

What is your case for Kessel "easily" over Crosby as opposed to the tossup that it was according the voters?

He had three more points with better linemates while going against the other team's 3rd line and 2nd/3rd d-pairing. His line was given almost an exclusive offensive role; a role which worked because Crosby's line could take on the other team's best line and still produce enough offense despite Crosby having a career 3rd liner and an AHL callup on his wings. Crosby's 2-way game and offense in key moments, especially in Rounds 3 and 4 made his case just as strong.

Crosby was better than Kessel in 3 of their 4 rounds but Kessel performed significantly better in the Caps series, arguably the Pens toughest series that year.

Not sure how you can say Kessel was the leader of the HBK line when he was easily outscored at ES by B and H.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Then after beating the 2 lowest seeds in the West in the first 2 rounds in 2001, Forsberg missed the rest of the playoffs, and Sakic played even better despite the Blues and Devils being much better opponents than the Canucks and Kings. Sakic was so great both postseasons they hardly even needed Forsberg's production.

Were the Blues a much better opponent than the Kings in 2001?

The Kings series dragged on for seven games. Forsberg had 8 points and was a +4, Sakic had 2 and was a -2. It’s not certain that the Avalanche would have survived that series if not for Forsberg.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Were the Blues a much better opponent than the Kings in 2001?

The Kings series dragged on for seven games. Forsberg had 8 points and was a +4, Sakic had 2 and was a -2. It’s not certain that the Avalanche would have survived that series if not for Forsberg.
Blues were a mid tier team, Kings a bubble team in 2001. Both did some of the Avs dirty work by eliminating the Stars and Wings.

In a more detailed post I had on Forsberg vs Sakic in the playoffs during the Avs deep runs from 1996-2002, I did mention that Forsberg was important for the first 2 rounds in 2001, for the reasons you stated. Him having a great series against LA was crucial since it helped fend off the upset and since Sakic was banged up, even missing 2 games. The Kings series was definitely his best and most crucial performance of any series of the Avs 2 cup wins.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The other day when I was thinking about NBA Finals MVP winners, I thought about how much better I like it that the Conn Smythe trophy is for the whole playoffs, rather than the Bill Russell award being just for the finals. I think the whole playoffs rather than the finals is better for 2 reasons:

1. For leagues that only have a finals MVP, it's odd that there's a regular season and finals MVP, but no MVP award that covers the previous playoff rounds.
2. When a team wins a championship, the finals aren't always the hardest round. When the Lightning won the cup last year, the finals were actually our easiest round.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The NFL has a Super Bowl MVP. So, basically the player that played well for 32 minutes...it's already a random playoff format and no games overlap...having a playoff MVP is the easiest thing in that sport and instead they go for first star of a game and people put weight on it to boot.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The other day when I was thinking about NBA Finals MVP winners, I thought about how much better I like it that the Conn Smythe trophy is for the whole playoffs, rather than the Bill Russell award being just for the finals. I think the whole playoffs rather than the finals is better for 2 reasons:

1. For leagues that only have a finals MVP, it's odd that there's a regular season and finals MVP, but no MVP award that covers the previous playoff rounds.
2. When a team wins a championship, the finals aren't always the hardest round. When the Lightning won the cup last year, the finals were actually our easiest round.
Here's a thread I made on the basketball subforum here about which NBA winners would change if it were for the whole playoffs rather than just the finals if any of you are interested.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Had further reflection from my post from this past December after thinking them through. I have 2 categories for controversial ones. The first are ones that I think were definitely wrong without question. The 2nd is ones I don't agree with, but could see how a reasonable person could agree.

Definitely wrong

Goring (1981): Hands down the worst CS selection since 1980. Not only was his run itself on the lower end of CS winners in this span, but, as I mentioned in this thread I made, his HOF teammates Bossy and Potvin were clearly better. Usually its one player who gets robbed, but in this case it was 2. And as I said in that thread, I can't even decide who would've been the better winner between those 2. Goring was a distant 3rd for the Isles best player that postseason.

Hextall (1987): A great postseason, but nowhere near what I think is needed for a player on the finals loser to win the CS. I'm of the believe that the CS should be the MVP of the winning team barring extreme circumstances, Giguere in 2003 being one of them. Giguere had it clinched by round 3, and I'm still of the opinion that a player winning it after losing the finals would need to have it clinched by the time the finals began. Hextall does not meet that standard. Much has been made about Gretzky not winning it in 1984, but I thought this was the bigger of the 2 robberies.

Williams (2014): Kopitar led the team in scoring (albeit only by a point) while playing his Selke level defense and being an important penalty killer. The media became a little too obsessed over Williams's game 7 resume. While this was mostly a team win and didn't have any historically great performances, Kopitar was definitely the Kings best player that postseason.

Wouldn't have voted for but not unreasonable

Messier (1984): Absolutely would've voted for Gretzky, and I agree voter fatigue cost him here. But Messier had a great postseason, both scoring wise and with his grit/physical play. His dominance over Calgary scoring and physically in their 7 game series was what led to the Flames signing Joel Otto. Thought Gretzky was the right choice, but with Messier still scoring at a high level while doing the dirty work, I can at least see where the voters were coming from.

Vernon (1997): Definitely one of the goalies who got it as a result of a committee win. For that reason I can see why Vernon won it. Still, I thought Fedorov was the best player. Played elite at both ends, being a Selke level forward who led the team in scoring that spring. Plus the defense in front of Vernon was great, so its not like he had to bail out the Wings that often. 1997 Wings had one of the greatest team defensive performances ever for a team in a single postseason, and got better as the playoffs went on.

Crosby (2016): Where I went wrong in claiming this was a joke was only factoring in the half that Crosby's performance was among the weakest for CS winners, but not factoring in there weren't many other viable candidates, as the 2016 Pens were among the greatest team efforts for cup winners. The forward depth on this team was insane, yet on the blueline Letang was by easily their best. My opinion at the moment is I would've given it to him, not only for his great postseason but the much larger load he carried for his position than any of the forwards. Still, the reason I can't put this in the category of wrong is because for how much this cup was a team effort, I don't think any player can claim they were robbed of the CS. I still think there's no doubt that name recognition was a big factor in Crosby winning it, and it did come off as a lifetime achievement award.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
One last one for the close calls. This is a list of when there were 2 right choices, and picking either of them would've been right, where you couldn't go wrong with either one. Had Bossy or Potvin won in 1981, that pair would've made this list. Here's the list, with the CS winner listed first.

1983 (Smith/Potvin)
1990 (Ranford/Messier)
1999 (Nieuwendyk/Belfour)
2001 (Roy/Sakic)
2007 (Niedermayer/Pronger)
2010 (Toews/Kane)
2013 (Kane/Crawford)
2018 (Ovechkin/Kuznetsov)
2021 (Vasilevskiy/Kucherov)

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Players PO Scoring, "Score Close" situations (PO Seasons 1918-2021).

"Score Close" is defined as a score that is tied (including 0-0) or team is leading by 1 goal/trailing by 1 goal.

GAG - go-ahead Goal (scoring while game is tied, incl. 0-0)
PlayerPOSPOGamesGGAGG
Joe Sakic *C1996221812
Mike Bossy *RW1982191710
Sidney CrosbyC200924159
Fernando PisaniRW200624149
Tyler JohnsonC201526139
Dave AndreychukLW199321128
Jaromir JagrRW199221118
Brayden PointC202123148
Wayne Gretzky *C198518178
Jarome IginlaRW200426138
Brad Richards *C200423128
Kevin StevensLW199124177
Joe Nieuwendyk *C199923117
Reggie Leach *RW197616197
Brayden PointC202023147
Joe PavelskiC201624147
Kirk MullerLW199320107
Justin Williams *RW20142697
Ruslan FedotenkoLW200422127
Eric LindrosC199719127
Jari KurriRW198721157
Jonathan ToewsC20141997
Jim PappinRW197118107
Alexandre BurrowsLW20112597
Alex Ovechkin *LW201824157

GAPTS - go-ahead PTS (scoring while game is tied, incl. 0-0)
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTSGAGPTS
Joe Sakic *C1996223418
Wayne Gretzky *C1985184717
Jarome IginlaRW2004262216
Brian Leetch *D1994233416
Mike Bossy *RW1982192715
Brayden PointC2020233315
Evgeni Malkin *C2009243615
Peter ForsbergC2002202715
Sidney CrosbyC2008202715
Sidney CrosbyC2009243114
Alex Ovechkin *LW2018242714
Mike ModanoC2000232314
Brett HullRW2000232414
Evgeny KuznetsovC2018243214
Paul CoffeyD1985183714
Brad Richards *C2004232613
Kevin StevensLW1991243313
Mario Lemieux *C1991234413
Mario Lemieux *C1992153413
Rob BlakeD2001231913
Nikita KucherovRW2020253413
Wayne GretzkyC1993244013
Mark RecchiRW1991243413
Doug GilmourC1993213513
Mark MessierC1994233013
Jonathan Toews *C2010222913

GTG - game tying Goal (scoring while team is trailing by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesGGTGG
Luc RobitailleLW199112127
Joe PavelskiC202027136
Jere LehtinenRW199923106
Frank MahovlichLW197120145
Esa TikkanenLW199118125
Jaromir JagrRW199512105
Thomas GradinC19821795
Rod Brind'AmourC199719135
Steve PayneLW198119175
Patrick SharpLW201022115
Nikita KucherovRW201617115

GTPTS - game tying PTS (scoring while team is trailing by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTSGTGPTS
Evgeni Malkin *C2009243610
Daniel BriereC2010233010
Wayne Gretzky *C198819439
Mark RecchiRW199124349
Ron FrancisC199512199
Glenn AndersonRW198721278
Rick MartinLW197517158
Eric StaalC200625288
Erik KarlssonD201719188
Cory StillmanLW200625268
Peter StastnyC198518238

1GLG - 1 goal lead Goals (scoring while team is leading by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesG1GLG
Mike BossyRW198319178
Mario Lemieux *C199215166
Brad MarchandLW20192496
Bill BarberLW198019126
Claude LemieuxRW199717136
Mario Lemieux *C199123165
Wayne Gretzky *C198518175
Wayne GretzkyC198419135
Pavel BureRW199424165
Doug GilmourC198922115
Craig SimpsonLW199022165
Logan CoutureC201624105
Bobby SmithC19811985
Anthony BeauvillierLW20202295
Alex Ovechkin *LW201824155
Sergei FedorovC199822105
Bobby SmithC19912385
John DruceRW199015145
Jari KurriRW19932495
Steve PayneLW19801575
Butch GoringC1977975
Daniel BriereC20081795

1GLPTS - 1 goal lead PTS (scoring while team is leading by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTS1GLPTS
Mario Lemieux *C1991234412
Wayne GretzkyC1987213412
Wayne Gretzky *C1988194311
Wayne Gretzky *C1985184711
Mark MessierC1990223111
Mario Lemieux *C1992153410
Mike BossyRW1983192610
Wayne GretzkyC198419359
Pavel BureRW199424319
Al MacInnis *D198922319
Brad MarchandLW201924239
Doug GilmourC198922229
Craig SimpsonLW199022319
Mark Messier *C198419268
Logan CoutureC201624308
Jari KurriRW198819318
Cam NeelyRW199021288
Rick MiddletonRW198317338
Barry PedersonC198317328
Nikita KucherovRW202123328
Steve YzermanC200223238
Mario LemieuxC199618278
Brian BellowsLW199123298
Bill BarberLW198019218

GAG_GTG_1GLG - go-ahead Goal + game tying Goal + 1 goal lead Goals (scoring while game is tied or team is trailing/leading by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesGGAGGGTGG1GLGGAG_GTG_1GLG
Joe Sakic *C199622181222
16​
Mike Bossy *RW198219171042
16​
Kevin StevensLW19912417744
15​
Wayne Gretzky *C19851817815
14​
Steve PayneLW19811917653
14​
Mario Lemieux *C19912316922
13​
Sidney CrosbyC20092415625
13​
Alex Ovechkin *LW20182415705
12​
Joe PavelskiC20162414822
12​
Claude LemieuxRW19971713723
12​
Tim KerrRW19891914921
12​
Yvan Cournoyer *RW19731715732
12​
Mike BossyRW19831917624
12​
Reggie Leach *RW19761619534
12​
Fernando PisaniRW20062414516
12​
Dave AndreychukLW19932112408
12​
Cam NeelyRW19911916543
12​
Evgeni Malkin *C20092414623
11​
Mario Lemieux *C19921516506
11​
Pavel BureRW19942416812
11​
Daniel BriereC20102312632
11​
Mike BossyRW19811817641
11​
Jaromir JagrRW19922111515
11​
Rod Brind'AmourC19971913713
11​
Brett HullRW19901213434
11​
Luc RobitailleLW19911212254
11​
Ruslan FedotenkoLW20042212272
11​
John DruceRW19901514425
11​

GAPTS_GTPTS_1GLPTS - go-ahead PTS + game tying PTS + 1 goal lead PTS (scoring while game is tied or team is trailing/leading by 1 goal)
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTSGAGPTSGTGPTS1GLPTSGAPTS_GTPTS_1GLPTS
Mario Lemieux *C1991234413712
32​
Wayne Gretzky *C1985184717211
30​
Evgeni Malkin *C2009243615105
30​
Wayne Gretzky *C198819439911
29​
Mark RecchiRW199124341396
28​
Brian Leetch *D199423341647
27​
Wayne GretzkyC1987213412312
27​
Joe Sakic *C199622341835
26​
Mario Lemieux *C1992153413310
26​
Wayne GretzkyC199324401376
26​
Doug GilmourC199321351376
26​
Mike Bossy *RW198219271573
25​
Kevin StevensLW199124331357
25​
Sidney CrosbyC200924311465
25​
Wayne GretzkyC19841935979
25​
Evgeny KuznetsovC201824321447
25​
Paul CoffeyD198518371437
24​
Nikita KucherovRW202025341374
24​
Pavel BureRW19942431959
23​
Mark MessierC198819341166
23​
Peter ForsbergC200220271544
23​
Sidney CrosbyC200820271526
23​
Al MacInnis *D198922311049
23​
Steve PayneLW198119291057
22​
Alex Ovechkin *LW201824271417
22​
Brett HullRW200023241435
22​
Bobby HullLW197118251165
22​
Bryan Trottier *C198021291174
22​
Jonathan Toews *C201022291327
22​
Peter StastnyC198518231183
22​

GWG - Game Winning Goals
PlayerPOSPOGamesGWG
Brad Richards *C200423127
Joe Sakic *C199622186
Joe Nieuwendyk *C199923116
Mario Lemieux *C199215165
Jari KurriRW198721155
Mike BossyRW198319175
Jake GuentzelC201725135
Fernando PisaniRW200624145
Johan FranzenLW200816135
Nazem KadriC20201595
Bobby SmithC19912385
Dustin ByfuglienD201022115

GWPTS - Game Winning PTS
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTSWPTS
Brad Richards *C2004232610
Wayne Gretzky *C1985184710
Mario Lemieux *C199215349
Jonathan Toews *C201022299
Jarome IginlaRW200426229
Joe Sakic *C199622348
Joe Nieuwendyk *C199923218
Brian Leetch *D199423348
Peter ForsbergC200220278
Mark MessierC199423308
Joe PavelskiC201624238
Evgeni Malkin *C200924368
Wayne GretzkyC199324408
Justin Williams *RW201426258
Wayne GretzkyC198721348

1GG - First Goal in Game
PlayerPOSPOGamesG1GG
Sidney CrosbyC200924156
Fernando PisaniRW200624146
Bobby HullLW19621286
Glenn AndersonRW199022105
Dave AndreychukLW199321125
Brayden PointC202123145
Ruslan FedotenkoLW200422125
Mike CammalleriC201019135

1PTS - First Goal in Game, PTS
PlayerPOSPOGamesPTS1GPTS
Sidney CrosbyC2008202710
Evgeny KuznetsovC2018243210
Jarome IginlaRW200426229
Wayne Gretzky *C198518478
Brian Leetch *D199423348
Mike ModanoC200023238
Mario LemieuxC199618278
Mark MessierC198819348
John MacLeanRW199520188
Trevor LindenRW199424258
Dennis HullLW197316248
Brett HullRW200023248
Doug GilmourC199321358
David KrejciC201322268

* - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO Crawford would have won the Smythe in 2013 had Quick & Thomas not been the previous two winners. I think a bit of a goalie fatigue set in, as well as him being not as dominant as those two.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Players PO Scoring, "Score Close" situations (PO Seasons 1918-2021).

"Score Close" is defined as a score that is tied (including 0-0) or team is leading by 1 goal/trailing by 1 goal.

Great stuff! Do you have anything like this for goalies? For example: 1 goal wins (not including empty netters), wins while getting outshot by X no. of shots, etc.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia
Great stuff! Do you have anything like this for goalies? For example: 1 goal wins (not including empty netters), wins while getting outshot by X no. of shots, etc.

SO Wins + 1 Goal Wins

PlayerPOGamesWinsSO1G_WSOW_1GW
Martin Brodeur
2000​
23​
16​
2​
11​
13​
Nikolai Khabibulin
2004​
23​
16​
5​
7​
12​
Andrei Vasilevskiy *
2021​
23​
16​
5​
6​
11​
Patrick Roy *
2001​
23​
16​
4​
7​
11​
Martin Brodeur
2003​
24​
16​
7​
4​
11​
Miikka Kiprusoff
2004​
26​
15​
5​
6​
11​
Jonathan Quick *
2012​
20​
16​
3​
7​
10​
Pekka Rinne
2017​
22​
14​
2​
8​
10​
Dominik Hasek
2002​
23​
16​
6​
4​
10​
Ed Belfour
1999​
23​
16​
3​
7​
10​
Martin Brodeur
2001​
25​
15​
4​
6​
10​
John Davidson
1979​
18​
11​
1​
8​
9​
Chris Osgood
2008​
19​
14​
3​
6​
9​
Tuukka Rask
2013​
22​
14​
3​
6​
9​
Chris Osgood
2009​
23​
15​
2​
7​
9​
Tim Thomas *
2011​
25​
16​
4​
5​
9​
Henrik Lundqvist
2014​
25​
13​
1​
8​
9​
Ken Dryden
1977​
14​
12​
4​
4​
8​
Bernie Parent *
1975​
15​
10​
4​
4​
8​
Dominik Hasek
2007​
18​
10​
2​
6​
8​
Arturs Irbe
2002​
18​
10​
1​
7​
8​
Henrik Lundqvist
2015​
19​
11​
0​
8​
8​
Martin Brodeur
1995​
20​
16​
3​
5​
8​
Mike Vernon *
1997​
20​
16​
1​
7​
8​
Jean-Sebastien Giguere *
2003​
21​
15​
5​
3​
8​
Patrick Roy
1996​
22​
16​
3​
5​
8​
Chris Osgood
1998​
22​
16​
2​
6​
8​
Mike Richter
1994​
23​
16​
4​
4​
8​
Corey Crawford
2013​
23​
16​
1​
7​
8​
Cam Ward *
2006​
23​
15​
2​
6​
8​
Ed Belfour
2000​
23​
14​
4​
4​
8​
Jon Casey
1991​
23​
14​
1​
7​
8​
Andrei Vasilevskiy
2022​
23​
14​
1​
7​
8​
Jordan Binnington
2019​
26​
16​
1​
7​
8​

* - Conn Smythe Trophy Winners

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
IMO Crawford would have won the Smythe in 2013 had Quick & Thomas not been the previous two winners. I think a bit of a goalie fatigue set in, as well as him being not as dominant as those two.
I listed 2013 as one of the 9 instances I believed there were 2 right choices. In addition to a goalie having won the previous 2, I thought Kane being passed over in 2010 (another year I thought there were 2 right choices) might've also played a role in him winning in 2013.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I think that's very possible - and it also didn't help Crawford that as good as he was, he was definitely worst than both Quick and Thomas in their respective years. If the order had been reversed and Crawford had somehow won his in 2011 and the second goalie in 2012, I think it's a lot more likely either of Thomas/Quick still win in the 3rd year with their performances despite voter fatigue due to overall better performance.

Patrick Kane has a fantastic playoff record and certainly more than one "smythe worthy run" - but I think I agree that objectively, Crawford was more deserving in 2013.

pnep

Mar 10, 2004
Novosibirsk,Russia

Shots DIF, WINS

POPlayerTeamWINSTeam ShA, WINSTeam Sh, WINSSh DIF, WINSSh DIF, WINS per WIN
1998​
Olaf KolzigWSH
12​
437​
302​
135​
2010​
Jaroslav HalakMTL
9​
357​