OT: Congratulations to the United States Women’s Soccer team!

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I honestly didn't believe the USWNT would win this tournament. I didn't like they way they were playing heading in, Europe has closed what used to be a considerable gap, and I thought playing in Europe would be a tough hurdle to clear.

But clear it they did. They defeated the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers in the tournament, and the #3, #4, #8, #9, and #13-ranked teams in the world to do it.

I knew they were a very good team technically, and superior physically, but I think I underestimated their mental toughness. Well done, ladies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Yea, athletes are heroes to lots of people. Especially kids

That's so true as they inspire young kids to play sports,helping them take the right path in life and to become the next Carli Lloyd or Alex Morgan. Whether they know it or not their role models as there's so many eyes on them especially when your representing your country and you just beat everyone on the way to becoming champions.

Congrats to a great team!

Last edited:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Not ridiculous at all. No one here has a copyright on the word hero. If you don't think they aren't "heroes" to
tens of thousands of young US female (probably male also) soccer players, I suggest you go to some fields
where they play and ask them.
So what do you call a kid who jumps in front of a gun to save other kids? What about a guy who crawls 500 feet underfire to save a buddy? Is that the same description you want to use in describing someone who plays a game for money?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
That penalty ruined the game for me video review was awful and the ref should have waived it off.

Good to see the rest of the world has closed the gap on USWNT they've always had the infrastructure and set up to have top notch teams.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
That penalty ruined the game for me video review was awful and the ref should have waived it off.

Good to see the rest of the world has closed the gap on USWNT they've always had the infrastructure and set up to have top notch teams.

That was a crystal clear infraction. Morgan got kicked in the shoulder on a reckless play where the opponent missed the ball entirely.

And this was arguably the most dominant performance in WWC history.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Same, that was the game. VAR stepped in and decided it. Too much review in sports now, not looking forward to PI review deciding football games next in the NFL

Reactions: BMC

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
That was a crystal clear infraction. Morgan got kicked in the shoulder on a reckless play where the opponent missed the ball entirely.

And this was arguably the most dominant performance in WWC history.

And it came in a repeat performance in Europe with one of the harder imaginable paths they could have taken. Just a brilliant performance.

Also, in my opinion anyway, Ellis never took the squad out of 2nd gear. The last time they started Rapinoe-Morgan-Heath with Horan-Mewis-Lavelle was against Sweden.

Reactions: EverettMike

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
Same, that was the game. VAR stepped in and decided it. Too much review in sports now, not looking forward to PI review deciding football games next in the NFL

Anytime an official makes a judgement call they're "deciding it". It's the same as "letting them play". Why have rules if you're not going to apply them.

That was about as easy a penalty call as you'll see. VAR saved the official from total embarrassment.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
That was about as easy a penalty call as you'll see. VAR saved the official from total embarrassment.

Still trying to figure out how we didn't get at least a free kick from JUST outside the box at the end of the first half when there was an even more blatant foul committed against the US. Forget who it was but she was literally taken down from behind with no ball contact......right before Dahlkemper was given a yellow (on a correct call, but not as blatant as the missed call the other way). The announcer was in disbelief, but for some reason it was never revisited at halftime. Made me start to wonder if something shady was going on........until we finally started scoring in the 2nd half.

Reactions: EverettMike

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Still trying to figure out how we didn't get at least a free kick from JUST outside the box at the end of the first half when there was an even more blatant foul committed against the US. Forget who it was but she was literally taken down from behind with no ball contact......right before Dahlkemper was given a yellow (on a correct call, but not as blatant as the missed call the other way). The announcer was in disbelief, but for some reason it was never revisited at halftime. Made me start to wonder if something shady was going on........until we finally started scoring in the 2nd half.

No replay always makes me suspicious too.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
26.0-26.5% which had never viewed content on Fox prior to the tournament. :laugh:
I wonder how many people polled know the difference between Fox and Fox News...

Very happy for this team and what they stand for individually as well as a team.

Reactions: Ladyfan

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
I would never actively root against my country but there was never a more unlikeable team from this country since the 1998 Mens ice hockey team in Nagano. Not a fan on the women's teams antics on the pitch while that mens team was just a disaster all over.

I’m taking the 98, 04, 14 USMNT and the 07 USWNT as being wildly more unlikable for soccer.

Every US Men’s ice hockey team in Olympics outside of North America.

And lastly. The “dream team”. Want to talk about disrespecting the flag? Using it to cover up a corporate logo is a pretty good place to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad