WJC: Congratulations Hockey Canada! 12 year Medal streak

Mr Lahey*

The silver this year makes it 12 years in a row that Canada has earned a Medal

Just an interesting note from the 1998 tournament - A young Roberto Luongo played with mediocrity earning 2 losses in 2 starts with a GAA of 3.70

GOLD 5 (2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009)

SILVER 5 (1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010)

BRONZE 2 (2000, 2001)

Congrats boys:handclap:

Hockey_Canada_Logo_small.jpg

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008

Just an interesting note from the 1998 tournament - A young Roberto Luongo played with mediocrity earning 2 losses in 2 starts with a GAA of 3.70

BRONZE 2 (2000, 2001)

Not bad for a country that regularly plays with their best players
not in the tournament.

Give kudos to the Americans and their hot housed little robots:sarcasm:

Mr Lahey*

Not bad for a bunch of guys sipping Gatorade from their glasses!

The Big Swede*

Well be the spoilers next year,no worries

This is unbelievable considering the number of players that are eligible to play but are mainstays with their NHL clubs

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Well be the spoilers next year,no worries

This is unbelievable considering the number of players that are eligible to play but are mainstays with their NHL clubs

Agreed.

Still say it would have been awesome to see a line of Hall-Stamkos-Tavares in this WJ, regardless of position they play.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh

BRONZE 2 (2000, 2001)

This quote will do nothing but inflame the already cantankerous mass of Canucks fans on this site. But it does show that, just because a goalie under-performs in the Juniors, does not doom him to mediocrity (or worse). Jake Allen can take solace in this.

TorFC-TML*

The best part about losing gold this tournament....

maybe we wont be subjected to that 'Eh! Oh! Canada Go!' chant again.

Its obviously bad luck.

Singualirity 2050

Dec 14, 2009
Time to take the PROGRAM OF EXCELLENCE up another notch as was done just before the past 2 other 5 GOLD STREAKS

It just seemed like Canada was willing to play to the level of their opponents instead of going out and just dominating as in previous years

The talent wasn't as good as 2005 or 2006 but I feel that these 23 guys should have won this thing

DungeonK

Love Thy Neighbor
Jul 6, 2006
Atlanta
Time to take the PROGRAM OF EXCELLENCE up another notch as was done just before the past 2 other 5 GOLD STREAKS

It just seemed like Canada was willing to play to the level of their opponents instead of going out and just dominating as in previous years

The talent wasn't as good as 2005 or 2006 but I feel that these 23 guys should have won this thing

I agree, clearly they just didn't want it bad enough and handed it to the Americans instead of them actually earning anything. If only they had hit the turbo button and busted out all the skill they were holding back! Oh well, maybe next year.

Snauen*

Congratz you've earned it! What I love about Canada and this tournament as a fan from overseas, is the air of fairness and solidness about everything. Not a questionmark about anything. 12 years of unquestionable medals. The great thing is that the players that play in the WJC don't learn how to cheat or break the rules to get a victory or a medal. The Canadians are always so very dominant at the sport that they don't need to use false play to be successfull. Especially the Canadian Icehockey fed. are role-models on how to be great hosts of a tournament. Great stuff

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
Nobody wins all the time, absolutley NOBODY.
This group of kids lost one game and in OT. It just happened to be the Gold Medal game.
They weren't blown out it was in OT.
12 years in a row with a medal, 9 years in a row in the Gold Medal game.
No need for a summit. Along the way to 5 straight Golds, we won some in OT, some in a SO, some in the last minute. This time we lost in OT. That's what happens.
Congrats Canada and make it 13 years with a medal next year and 10 years in a row in the Gold medal game.
That's all we can ask as fans is that our guys compete and compete hard. This year the boys did that.
Bring on next year with a taste that defeat can happen.

TrevorLinden16

Jan 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
This quote will do nothing but inflame the already cantankerous mass of Canucks fans on this site. But it does show that, just because a goalie under-performs in the Juniors, does not doom him to mediocrity (or worse). Jake Allen can take solace in this.

does Justin Pogge prove the reverse?

as for the cantankerous comment: don't judge us all by the main board. Come to the Canucks board, we're really very nice people.

Singualirity 2050

Dec 14, 2009
I agree, clearly they just didn't want it bad enough and handed it to the Americans instead of them actually earning anything. If only they had hit the turbo button and busted out all the skill they were holding back! Oh well, maybe next year.

Sorry to rain on your little victory parade but it's the truth from what I saw

Maybe next year is right ;)

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Congratz you've earned it! What I love about Canada and this tournament as a fan from overseas, is the air of fairness and solidness about everything. Not a questionmark about anything. 12 years of unquestionable medals. The great thing is that the players that play in the WJC don't learn how to cheat or break the rules to get a victory or a medal. The Canadians are always so very dominant at the sport that they don't need to use false play to be successfull. Especially the Canadian Icehockey fed. are role-models on how to be great hosts of a tournament. Great stuff

This post is nothing more then a backhanded compliment. Your jealousy just oozes out every word.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm a canucks fan and I wasn't angered in any way by that statement. If you judge a player by his play from 9 years ago... you need help. And I have a selanne, kariya, jagr and sakic to sell you for your ovechkin, crosby and malkin.

I think a lot of people get lost in all the hype McGuire pours all over the tournament. Preforming well (or poorly) is no guarantee that your career will flourish (or die). Take Eberle for example - based on his preformance in the WJCs I'm pretty confidant that he will be make an excellent NHL'r, but there's still a small chance that he won't be able to adapt to the big league and will toil as a 3rd liner for the rest of his career. Or take Ellis - he didn't have the greatest WJCs, but I'm still confidant he will be a great NHL puckmover, ala rafalski.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I know Canadian fans aren't big fans of the silver medal but that's still a hell of a streak right there. To call that impressive would be an understatement.

Singualirity 2050

Dec 14, 2009
You didn't spend any more time raining on my victory parade than you did cracking open a dictionary before you entered your username :laugh:

You figured it out didn't you Sherlock LOL It was a spelling error and I caught it 1 minute after it was completed after a late night of drinking - unfortunately I can't change it

You've never made a single spelling error in your life though right? :sarcasm:

You didn't even know what the word meant before you googled it there genius. You are the coolest guy I have never met.

Go Kovalchuk Go - right out of town!!!!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

peicurler91

Mar 15, 2008
PEI
You figured it out didn't you Sherlock LOL It was a spelling error and I caught it 1 minute after it was completed after a late night of drinking - unfortunately I can't change it

You've never made a single spelling error in your life though right? :sarcasm:

You didn't even know what the word meant before you googled it there genius. You are the coolest guy I have never met.

Go Kovalchuk Go - right out of town!!!!

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

In all fairness I never noticed it, lol and I'm basically a dictionary.

We won't have to worry about unlucky year 13, we'll still win a medal :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad