Congrats to Sam Ventura

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If you need analytics to recognize that Despres for Lovejoy is a bad idea I don't know what to say.

Haha. This pretty much should've ended the thread. Numbers and equations don't mean **** if you don't know how to use them properly. Maybe some of that trade was on data that Karmanos passed down to Guerin and Company, and this a nice way of the organization saying "Jason everyone makes mistakes but going forward you're going to oversee the analytics team rather than do the analytics yourself."

Still I am not sold on its value. For hockey it seems like a gimmick. For baseball it makes more sense because it's more of an individual sport; heavily based in statistics and the players actions can be analyzed in isolation. Plus every time I hear the word analytics this pops into my head.

etrade_baby.jpg

"... grab the reins man, do some analytics!"

Last edited:

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Thank you. As Confucius once said " The superior man.... Does not set his mind either for anything or against anything; what is right he will follow.

Another good quote is, people are afraid of what they don't understand

;)

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
No he compiles stats and then does analysis to help form an opinion.

I get that. I think it's funny though that some think their is a magic formula to understanding what they are watching.

Still I believe there are too many factors beyond a player's stats to formulate an opinion with analytics.

I don't need stats to tell me a guy is marshmallow soft, ie Sutter. I will admit though it's harder than ever to determine who is good on a consistent basis. Between the coaching and over sized goalies in today's game, things seem a lot more random than they used to. Beautiful snipes are stopped regularly and ugly shots off their mark get deflected and go in.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I get that. I think it's funny though that some think their is a magic formula to understanding what they are watching.

Still I believe there are too many factors beyond a player's stats to formulate an opinion with analytics.

I don't need stats to tell me a guy is marshmallow soft, ie Sutter. I will admit though it's harder than ever to determine who is good on a consistent basis. Between the coaching and over sized goalies in today's game, things seem a lot more random than they used to. Beautiful snipes are stopped regularly and ugly shots off their mark get deflected and go in.

I disagree.

Basic information as to a player's overall worth to a team can be reasonably derived from advanced possession stats.

For once, I'm glad we're trying to employ people who understand this. One look at Corsi and Fenwick, and Glass/Adams/Scuderi would never have had the leashes that they enjoyed for so long. It may not be the be-all, end-all, but I've never seen it claimed that it was.

It's simply a tool for our front office to use. One that can combat entrenched veterans who are playing terribly. To me, that's a good thing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The Avs are pretty well known to be not using analytics. Look at their moves the past couple years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad