New York Islanders: Confirmed with link : Barry Trotz Islanders Head Coach

KidThatWonTheCalder

Artist Formerly Known as IslesandHawks
Jun 16, 2011
Anyone read the latest 31 thoughts released today? Lot of Trotz talk.

Then there is Mathew Barzal, who had a hat trick against the Maple Leafs. “He was trying too hard to be John’s replacement. Overhandling the puck. Too much one-on-one. But it’s part of growth. We knew he was going to be okay.”
This is what you need in a leader/teacher... Know when to allow people to work through mistakes on their own, but give them guidance along the way. It's still so refreshing to see how he handles problems like this with different guys.

We really lucked out with Trotz, guys... Appreciate how much of a difference he makes with the team on a day-to-day basis compared to what we've had in the past.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You gotta assume Lou knew exactly what Uncle Leo did for the kiddies in Toronto before bringing him to the Isles. Having him mentor JHS, both on and off ice is an extremely shrewd move for Josh to hit his potential.

Character matters. We jettisoned a lying snake and replaced a PHONY with REAL and GENUINE leadership in management, behind the bench, and on the ice.

Leo seems to be pretty great with Barzal and Beauvillier too. Lou is so detailed, seems like nothing has been left to chance with him.

Reactions: CodeE

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Character matters. We jettisoned a lying snake and replaced a PHONY with REAL and GENUINE leadership in management, behind the bench, and on the ice.

Leo seems to be pretty great with Barzal and Beauvillier too. Lou is so detailed, seems like nothing has been left to chance with him.

Our defense is fantastic, with Dobson, Wilde, hopefully Sorokin to come. To add to the lowest GA in the NHL right now.

Our offense, with Ho-Sang being molded, with Dal Colle finally finding his game, Bellows in Bridgeport, Wahlstrom impressing at the WJCs. That's not even mentioning Barzal & Beau who are still both 21.

The Tavares Era is over, whats important now is taking this collection of shiny bluechip players/prospects and molding them into a true Cup Contender, deep like Tampa at offense/defense/goaltending, which should wonderfully coincide with the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkins of the division getting up there in years. The results so far on Toews, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang look extremely promising compared to these 3 under the Snow regime.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
You gotta assume Lou knew exactly what Uncle Leo did for the kiddies in Toronto before bringing him to the Isles. Having him mentor JHS, both on and off ice is an extremely shrewd move for Josh to hit his potential.

Are you saying that a guy with 3 Cups in his back pocket may know more than people on a message board or Twitter? Come on now...that's ridiculous! Next, you'll tell me Filppula was a good signing...have you seen his corsi that last few years!?!?!?!

Reactions: KidThatWonTheCalder

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Our defense is fantastic, with Dobson, Wilde, hopefully Sorokin to come. To add to the lowest GA in the NHL right now.

Our offense, with Ho-Sang being molded, with Dal Colle finally finding his game, Bellows in Bridgeport, Wahlstrom impressing at the WJCs. That's not even mentioning Barzal & Beau who are still both 21.

The Tavares Era is over, whats important now is taking this collection of shiny bluechip players/prospects and molding them into a true Cup Contender, deep like Tampa at offense/defense/goaltending, which should wonderfully coincide with the Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkins of the division getting up there in years. The results so far on Toews, Dal Colle, and Ho-Sang look extremely promising compared to these 3 under the Snow regime.
I am convinced the Capuano and Snow braintrust ruined a number of drafted players. Ryan Strome for instance.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I am convinced the Capuano and Snow braintrust ruined a number of drafted players. Ryan Strome for instance.

While Snow obviously screwed up the Islanders careers of several players (Nino comes to mind) and almost completely screwed up Josh Bailey, I don't think it's really fair to go after Capuano on this score. It's pretty obvious that Capuano was a poor X's and O's coach who was particularly bad at in-game adjustments and didn't have the clout to hire a good group of assistants. However, Capuano is a respected teacher for USA Hockey, and got a job right away as an assistant. I think the idea that Capuano did something to destroy Ryan Strome's career is bizarre. The truth is that Ryan Strome had a great year in 2014-2015, was given a great opportunity on JT's wing in 2015-2016, came to camp not ready, and stunk it up all year. It's on him, and if you listen to people like Compton, who constantly talked to players, it's on Strome.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-whats-next-benn-seguin-dallas-stars

15. As surprising as Vancouver’s burst is, it’s probably second to the Islanders’. When John Tavares left, no one was expecting much, but they are two points back of Buffalo and Montreal for the Eastern wild card spots with games in hand. Some of their players indicated they were pleasantly surprised to see how things were structured under Lou Lamoriello and Trotz.

“I’m a builder, I saw this as a great challenge,” Trotz said hours before the Islanders shut out the Maple Leafs in Toronto. “I told them I just experienced winning a championship, and I wanted them to have the same experience. The way you do that is you play as a team, with accountability, structure and work ethic. With Lou Lamoriello, everything is about winning. They saw how organized and detailed we were. We told them defence can be fixed, if you are willing to sacrifice the cheating in your game. All the guys bought in.”

I literally hate every last person who ever argued for snow/capuano to keep their jobs or they "just need more time." It's like arguing that smoking isn't that bad for you because you breathe while doing it.

God bless our noble saviors - Malkin, Lou, and Trotz. I bow down to thee.

Kasparaitis

Jan 25, 2017
My favorite NFL team is the Colts and both they and the Isles were stuck in the same rut for the same period of time - poor coaching, terrible GM. I'm so happy both franchises got fixed this year. Trotz and Lou have done a helluva job so far.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
This team has such a Major League feel to it - maybe because I've seen it like 10 times this month on Showtime. Haha.

Wild Thing - Ho-Sang - once he got those glasses...
Willie Mays Hayes - Barzal - 'You may run like Mays, but you hit like ****.'
Pedro Cerrano - Uncle Leo - obvious, the guy is a character. 'Hats for bats, gracias.'
Roger Dorn - Ladd - working on becoming an interior decorator.
Jake Taylor - Lee - the leader of this group of misfits.
Harry Doyle - do I even have to say it? Loves the sauce, just like Butch.
Rachel Phelps - has to be Judas since he's a lying POS. Could also be his girl since she's the one who has the balls and wears the pants in the family. Group package is better.
Lou Brown - Trotz - this is a slam dunk.
Charlie Donovan - CHRIS Lamiorello
Eddie Harris - Boychuk - the grizzled vet. Not a perfect one, but close.
Lynn Wells - Shannon - won't elaborate, Bones can do that in his mind when he's cleaning his wet bed sheets.

I could probably go on, but you get the picture.

As I think about it more, this could be a great Avatar theme for the season.

:laugh: LOL, good one; I was thinking something similar, but I always think of that movie when the islanders are overachieving.

At the beginning of the season, I was picturing a cardboard tavares in the locker room, with a quote bubble saying "I'll never win a cup with you losers!", and the team uses it as inspiration.

Reactions: PWJunior

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
OVERRATED!

.... was Jammie Johnny's importance to this franchise.

Don't love ya, don't need ya.

We love and need our coach!

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
I said it before and I'll say it again.

1. LL/BT on this team has a bigger impact on the franchise and perception of the franchise then JT ever could.

2. I don't think LL really wanted to resign JT. Without JT, this team has a chance to grow beyond JT.

Reactions: MIK55 and MJF

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Finally, I think this team is making the playoffs baring injury. You can tell that playing against the Isles is no longer an easy task for opponents.

LGI!!

MIK55

Jul 4, 2018
2. I don't think LL really wanted to resign JT. Without JT, this team has a chance to grow beyond JT.
I think I agree with you on this. LL/BT teach that the first obligation is defensive responsibility, no matter who you are. I am not confident that JT would have bought in. Accepting no after nine years of getting whatever one wanted from a franchise is not, I admit, easy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad