Kings News: CONFIRMED: 6 years, $25 million for Voynov

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Voynov resigning plays no factor in whether we resign Scuderi or not. If Scuderi walks, I think DL waits to see if Mitchell will be ready...and if not...then he makes a move for someone else...If scuderi resigns...Mitchell is bought out.

Mitchell can't be bought out if he's injured.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Yes... I hold out hope for Scuderi because of that fact. However, there just isn't much money left to go around. Whatever they do with Bernier will likely generate more salary (unless it's a trade solely for picks). Dean's got a hole or two on the left wing that needs to be filled with roster players and associated salary (Holloway, etc.). There's not much pie left to split up.

There's Mitchell's money. I'll believe he's back when I see it. Until he returns there should be zero problem resigning Scuderi.

Jun 30, 2006
Great to hear.

Kings have 15 players signed for $56.7M -- leaving $959K per open roster spot per CapGeek. That means Scuderi will have to take a hell of a discount to stay in LA. Not sure that's going to happen.

Seems inevitable, sadly.

Scuds was going to get overpaid somewhere else, regardless. I mean Dean Lombardi knows what Scuds is asking for.

My guess is DL saw the writing on the wall with Scuderi and went off and re-signed Regher. The Kings really just need to squeak by this year and then they'll have room again next year assuming the cap goes up again.

The Kings have over $20m committed to defense without Martinez or Muzzin. There is no way they can afford Scuderi unless they get rid of Stoll. I'd personally trade Stoll and keep Scuderi but that probably isn't going to happen.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Points are sexy but Doughty is (still) much better defensively.

Eh I think he's learned a lot these past playoff runs, especially on that bad pinch that lead to our elimination. He's still young and has much to learn on the defensive side, but he'll get there.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There's Mitchell's money. I'll believe he's back when I see it. Until he returns there should be zero problem resigning Scuderi.

His money is still currently on the cap. It will be until the Kings put him on LTIR, or are in some way able to get rid of him. They can't buy him out if he's still injured. I don't know the exact rules in terms of when you can put a player on LTIR, or if you can take him off whenever you want, but I wouldn't think the Kings will make any firm decision either way on Mitchell before July 5th, which would pretty much take the Kings out of the Scuderi chase.

Unless they trade enough other players. But then that just moves the cap issues around from Scuderi to other spots on the roster.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

True. Or they could always dump Regeher for a mid-round pick if they feel that confident in Mitchell (down the line, as they can go 10% over the cap until a couple weeks before the season starts), that would cover all but $1M of Scuderi's reasonable salary.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Or they could always dump Regeher for a mid-round pick if they feel that confident in Mitchell (down the line, as they can go 10% over the cap until a couple weeks before the season starts), that would cover all but $1M of Scuderi's reasonable salary.

But then why would a team not wait to see if they can get Scuderi if they were going to trade for Regehr?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I'd ask Scuderi his permission to engineer a possible sign and trade (to teams of his preference), dependent upon Mitchell's return. I have no idea if business is ever conducted like that in the real world, or why anyone would ever go for it, but its a possible idea. I gotta think DL would make an effort to do the very best by a guy like Scuderi, who would get the contract he wants, and ultimately gets to play somewhere he wants.

Trading Regehr should never be considered.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Not even using the Amnesty Buy out teams are allowed?

Nope. That's why Minnesota can't buy Heatley out. That's why NY and Montreal were going to send Redden and Gomez home to sit on the couch, so that they didn't even get hurt in the minors. One of the protections the PA won for themselves.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's such poor form to trade Regehr after he signed a deal. The Kings are certainly not considering it. We have to accept that he is going to be on the team and Scuderi probably won't be. Toronto could offer Scuds 4-4.5 easy. How could he turn that down?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Tell that to Visnovsky or JJ.

Whatever they had going on here was already established here. Trading a family man who's tight with DS a few months after he uproots his family to move them here is absolutely not going to happen.

I think they signed him because they don't have any expectations of keeping Scuderi. They just committed 7m to D not named Scuderi when the cap is extremely tight. The merits of RR and Scuderi as players are certainly up for debate, but the Kings didn't really have cap to keep both and improve the team. I think they've made their choice.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Ah, I agree Dean wouldn't sign RR to an extension if he wasn't sure how Scuds situation would turn out.

I'll miss Scuds, he brings same consistent play to every game. When RR is bad, he's really bad. The Sharks and Hawks series for him are like day and night.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
It's such poor form to trade Regehr after he signed a deal. The Kings are certainly not considering it. We have to accept that he is going to be on the team and Scuderi probably won't be. Toronto could offer Scuds 4-4.5 easy. How could he turn that down?

Honestly, i'm not sure I like Scuderi for that much. He's a great player and a character guy in the locker room, but that's a lot for a guy that's in the latter half of his career.

I think if we go with Doughty, Voynov, Greene, Regehr, Muzzin and Mitchell next year we will be fine. Muzzin especially, who I hope takes another step after getting pretty much a full year in.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Honestly, i'm not sure I like Scuderi for that much. He's a great player and a character guy in the locker room, but that's a lot for a guy that's in the latter half of his career.

I think if we go with Doughty, Voynov, Greene, Regehr, Muzzin and Mitchell next year we will be fine. Muzzin especially, who I hope takes another step after getting pretty much a full year in.

If Mitchell is himself (or even close to it), that group will be solid. That is a big "if" however.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood

I'll be satisfied with Muzz if he learns not to shoot when there's somebody in front of him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The trade wouldn't happen soon, it would happen likely in september. A lot closer to when we know whether or not Mitchell will be able to go.

Teams can only be X amount over the cap during the summer. Scuderi, Mitchell, and Regehr all on the cap, with everyone else still on the team, may push the Kings over whatever the limit is.

Lombardi has to know, or at least have a decent idea, of what the situation with Scuderi is. There may not have been talks involving specific numbers, but just a general sense of what was going on. Why else lock up Regehr as early as he did?

Maybe sign Regehr as insurance in case Mitchell can't go, but Mitchell's cap hit counts until they can figure things out with him. That's where the problems with signing Scuderi come up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad