Kings News: CONFIRMED: 6 years, $25 million for Voynov

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
i know you inserted the offensive caveat, but it's strange how Doughty is becoming underrated. this guy may not be scoring the points, but Sutter is riding Doughty as hard as he does Quick. DUring the playoffs, it was almost like Doughty was on every shift (what was he, #2 for ATOI only to Chara, the beast). He gets the toughest assignments and is expected to contribute defensively and offensively. There's no doubt that Doughty is a clear #1 on our team.

That said, I could only wish we got Voynov for 8 years, but i'm ecstatic we got him long term. Just wish we had space to sign other players.

Defensively Doughty was great, but he makes close to $7 Mil a year. ALL parts of his game should be dominating for that amount of cash, especially in the crucial playoffs. He'd better be good next year, same with Kopitar, whose playoff performance was ****ing atrocious...

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Let's see how VV steps up this year. If he gets any better he has a shot at Norris consideration. There was not a night this past year Fox wasn't praising Voynov for his play.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Defensively Doughty was great, but he makes close to $7 Mil a year. ALL parts of his game should be dominating for that amount of cash, especially in the crucial playoffs. He'd better be good next year, same with Kopitar, whose playoff performance was ****ing atrocious...

Exactly, There is no excuse for Drew anymore.

He should be the best D man on the ice night in and night out.

His play against the Hawks was terrible.

Five points in 18 games (three at even Strength) and a minus Seven is not going to cut it(at any time during the playoffs).

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Exactly, There is no excuse for Drew anymore.

He should be the best D man on the ice night in and night out.

His play against the Hawks was terrible.

Five points in 18 games (three at even Strength) and a minus Seven is not going to cut it(at any time during the playoffs).

The dude was playing on a sprained ankle wasn't he?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
Also is only 23 YEARS OLD.

Doughty is not only a phenom but is quietly (sort of) becoming one of the top 4 D in the game.

whenever they start on doughty I get that sick feeling we are watching larry freaking murphy again.....in time drew is going to be elite game in and game out and hopefully spends his whole career in LA and that I live long enough to see #8 go up to the rafters

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Chara is 12 years older, playing the same minutes, dominating, and getting paid less. Hes had two injuries and a split eye in the playoffs.

Chara has played in over 1000 regular season games, over 100 playoff games, and is a mountain of a man. Doughty has played the equivalent of less than 5 full NHL seasons, and 50 playoff games.

That's not excusing any inconsistency in Doughty's play, but, Chara's first full NHL season was at the age of 22. Doughty would be barely out of college right now. It's not going to be perfect all the time.

KingKopitar11*

You have to not like Doughty to call him out for his points. Sounds like a fantasy complaint. He was great and he played bad with a sprained ankle after that. I think he did the most he could with what he had. And let's not forget how many posts he hit. It's not like the offensive presence wasn't there.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
whenever they start on doughty I get that sick feeling we are watching larry freaking murphy again.....in time drew is going to be elite game in and game out and hopefully spends his whole career in LA and that I live long enough to see #8 go up to the rafters

I feel the same way. I remember how bad the 8k boo birds would get on him at the forum every time the guy did anything even remotely off. I knew when we moved him we had just shot ourselves in the foot, again.

I hope you are right about DD spending his career with us and seeing his 8 in the rafters sounds like a great thing to me. Along with Luc and Davie's it would look really good. Home grown talented kids who turned out to be among the greatest names in hockey. I like it allot.

KingsFirstCup

Nov 18, 2012
Canada
If anyone is questioning Doughty as a 23 year old I suggest you go look up a few other defenseman in the NHL and where they were at 23. Chris Pronger, Duncan Keith, Keith Yandle, and Kris Letang to name a few. Heck while you're at it, go look up the Sedin Sisters' stats at 23 years old. Drew will be a force within the next 3 years

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
If anyone is questioning Doughty as a 23 year old I suggest you go look up a few other defenseman in the NHL and where they were at 23. Chris Pronger, Duncan Keith, Keith Yandle, and Kris Letang to name a few. Heck while you're at it, go look up the Sedin Sisters' stats at 23 years old. Drew will be a force within the next 3 years

Doughty is one of my favourite players. He is so in control when he has the puck and his hockey IQ is fantastic. He always knows what to do and can speed up or slow down play.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think people sometimes forget that, especially with Mitchell and Greene out of the lineup, we were the youngest team in the NHL this year and something like 3rd youngest last year. We have a high set of expectations now, but let's not forget that players like Voynov and Doughty haven't even come close to peaking yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad