Speculation: Concern that McDavid's camp seeking 5 year deal?

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
so an agent's job isn't to maximize his client's value?

glad you're here to set me straight :laugh:

No, not necessarily.

In an agency relationship the agent has 5 fiduciary duties to his client.

-Loyalty
-Performance
-Notification
-Obedience
-Accounting

The important one here is Obedience, this means the agent must obey all lawful orders that the client gives them. If Connor wants his contract to be one that the team can work around so that he has a better opportunity to win multiple cups, then his agent has a fiduciary duty to attempt to get him that. This means that his agents job is not to "ask for the moon", but to negotiate a favorable deal that benefits both sides.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No, not necessarily.

In an agency relationship the agent has 5 fiduciary duties to his client.

-Loyalty
-Performance
-Notification
-Obedience
-Accounting

The important one here is Obedience, this means the agent must obey all lawful orders that the client gives them. If Connor wants his contract to be one that the team can work around so that he has a better opportunity to win multiple cups, then his agent has a fiduciary duty to attempt to get him that. This means that his agents job is not to "ask for the moon", but to negotiate a favorable deal that benefits both sides.

and if Connor wants to be the highest paid player in the world, his agent is going to do that for him.

like I said earlier, worst-case scenario is that he says "I want a max contract and I don't care about leaving money on the table cause it's not my job to build a team, that's for Chiarelli to figure out how to work around my contract"

highly unlikely cause McDavid seems like a team guy and knows in order to win a Cup, they need value contracts and he'll need to leave money on the table...but if he did, what are going to do? you'll suck it up and pay

again, I think if he signs a 5-year deal...it'll be around 10 million (9.7)
but if it's 8 years, buying UFA years...it'll be close to 12 million IMO

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
and if Connor wants to be the highest paid player in the world, his agent is going to do that for him.

Sure, but only if Connor makes that his #1 priority, forsaking all other aspects. Gauge was referring to your comment that the agent's job is to maximize the client's value but that's such an oversimplification of the relationship and responsibilities as to be incorrect.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
That's fine if he wants to do that, my question is do you want to win Stanley Cups? Because you lessen your chances if you decide to push your team to the cap max like that. He's the only hockey player other than Sid who's going to earn several million per year from marketing deals.

Sidney Crosby has taken less, you think he regrets it right now?

Like I said before too, whatever "discount" McDavid gives the Oilers he gets right back from marketing deals no other player but Crosby gets anyway.

He and his family are going to be wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, I can tell you right now even from a AAV of $9 million per, he could live like a king just off the dividend income his money would earn from any standard stock portfolio. That's not even accounting the $2-$4 million extra per year his endorsment deals will bring in.

He wouldn't even have to touch a penny of the principle (the actual money he takes home after tax), that would just build into a giant asset hoarde.

It's his legacy but being the "best player in the world" isn't all cotton candy and sunshine ... expectation comes with it and if you don't deliver Stanley Cups, your legacy comes into question.

I'd sit down with him and say "look you want $12 mill per a year and we'll give it to you .... but how important is winning Stanley Cups here? Do you want to win several and make the Finals 4-5 times like Crosby and Gretzky? Well that becomes tougher if that's the salary number you want".

I get what you're saying, I guess it depends how important the cup is to the player.

And to answer your question Crosby might regret it if he has to retire due to concussions.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I get what you're saying, I guess it depends how important the cup is to the player.

And to answer your question Crosby might regret it if he has to retire due to concussions.

Thats the thing. Crosby wouldn't regret it for a second even if only considering finacials. He gets more in sponsorship/advertising from winning a cup than it costs him in the contract. Winning cups easily makes him more marketable ect. Its just a win win snerio. I don't see why McDavid wouldn't see that as well.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Thats the thing. Crosby wouldn't regret it for a second even if only considering finacials. He gets more in sponsorship/advertising from winning a cup than it costs him in the contract. Winning cups easily makes him more marketable ect. Its just a win win snerio. I don't see why McDavid wouldn't see that as well.

I'm not sure exactly how their endorsements flesh out to be honest. I feel like there was alot more hype and excitement when he was a rookie, but I haven't actually looked at his endorsements to see if they've went up or down since he joined the league

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Friedman's latest 30 thoughts

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-future-hold-dubas-leafs/

If McDavid takes a discount at 5 years, and gives the Oilers time to accumulate cap space 6 years from (for a higher contract), could work out for all parties involved.

15. Edmonton’s Peter Chiarelli made it quite clear priorities 1) and 1a) are Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl before any other business gets done. Draisaitl needs a new contract; McDavid is eligible for an extension on July 1.

We’ve all assumed the Oilers will give their captain eight years at eleventy-billion dollars if necessary, but allow me to paint an alternate scenario. What if McDavid opts for the Sidney Crosby-Patrick Kane-Evgeni Malkin-Steven Stamkos-Jonathan Toews route? All five of those players took five-year terms on their second contracts, opening the door for another massive deal around age 25-27. Crosby’s second contract totalled $43.5 million, and his third is $104.4 million. (That one is 12 years, which can’t be done now. The others are eight, which does fit.) Malkin also did $43.5, then $76 million. Kane and Toews copied each other, from $31.5 million to $84 million. Stamkos went from $37.5 million to $68 million. We’ll see what McDavid wants, but don’t be shocked if this is the template.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
If Chiarelli can sign McDavid and Draisaitl to less than 20 mill combined long term then theres no reason why he shouldnt be able to build a cup favorite team for the next 10 years or so

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If Chiarelli can sign McDavid and Draisaitl to less than 20 mill combined long term then theres no reason why he shouldnt be able to build a cup favorite team for the next 10 years or so

everybody seems to be willing to hand drai the mantel of "dominant player" a little too soon IMO

- drai's first 3 years... 9p/0.24 PPG, 51/0.71, 77/0.94
- hall's first 3 years... 42/0.65, 53/0.87, 50/1.11
- eberle's first 3 years... 43/0.62, 76/0.98, 37/0.77
- RNH's first 3 years... 52/0.84, 24/0.6, 56/0.7

basically, offensively drai is a ways behind hall, about even with eberle (although eberle was older during his first 3 years), and a decent amount ahead of RNH... now drai is bigger than those 3 players, and plays more of a "mans game", which helps his cause a bit, but he also put up his first big season riding shotgun with mcjesus for most of the year... drai looks to be a very good player, he might even end up being as good as hall is, but he is not worth the numbers a lot of people are throwing around... he certainly isn't anywhere CLOSE to "mcdavid's malkin" like i have seen some people proclaiming

i'm not picking on your post, but just pointing out how prevalent this opinion seems to be

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
I would be pretty disappointed with a 5 year deal.. I would want 6 years at least.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
everybody seems to be willing to hand drai the mantel of "dominant player" a little too soon IMO

- drai's first 3 years... 9p/0.24 PPG, 51/0.71, 77/0.94
- hall's first 3 years... 42/0.65, 53/0.87, 50/1.11
- eberle's first 3 years... 43/0.62, 76/0.98, 37/0.77
- RNH's first 3 years... 52/0.84, 24/0.6, 56/0.7

basically, offensively drai is a ways behind hall, about even with eberle (although eberle was older during his first 3 years), and a decent amount ahead of RNH... now drai is bigger than those 3 players, and plays more of a "mans game", which helps his cause a bit, but he also put up his first big season riding shotgun with mcjesus for most of the year... drai looks to be a very good player, he might even end up being as good as hall is, but he is not worth the numbers a lot of people are throwing around... he certainly isn't anywhere CLOSE to "mcdavid's malkin" like i have seen some people proclaiming

i'm not picking on your post, but just pointing out how prevalent this opinion seems to be

Have to agree with this pretty much. Drai has had one hell of a season and a great playoffs but some of the numbers being thrown around are absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad