Speculation: Concern that McDavid's camp seeking 5 year deal?

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Any concern surrounding (as per Friedman) that McDavid's camp might be pushing for a 5 year deal (buying up only 1 UFA season)?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/connor-mcdavid-opt-five-year-deal/

“One of the theories is that what McDavid might do is copy some other star players who went for five-year deals, which gives the opportunity to have another big deal when he’s 25 years old,†Friedman said during Headlines on Hockey Night in Canada.

Friedman went on to list some examples: “Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane and Steven Stamkos all took five years on their second contract before going big with the third one,†he said. “Crosby’s 12 years, you can’t do that anymore, and I wonder if the possibility is … that McDavid goes five years or so on his second deal, and then goes for another big one in his prime.â€

Ideally you prefer certainty and him signing an 8 year deal. If the team doesn't meet success in that period, that will only enhance the speculation that he'd test UFA waters.

This line doesn't make much sense:

Kypreos suggested there might be "a difference of half a million to a million dollars" between the two contracts. "But you will not see one guy making 14 million, and the other guy making 7.5. Not in Edmonton.â€

If Draisaitl ends up signing around 7M x 8 years, would Connor be getting 8M? Seems highly optimistic, even if it's short term.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
not ideal but what are you gonna do? he really holds all of the cards here (for the most part)

he's not doing anything different than what Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Kane did...they all signed shorter term deals in their 2nd deals

worry about him bolting in 6 years from now, when the landscape will be vastly different..

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
not ideal but what are you gonna do? he really holds all of the cards here (for the most part)

he's not doing anything different than what Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Kane did...they all signed shorter term deals in their 2nd deals

worry about him bolting in 6 years from now, when the landscape will be vastly different..

Pretty much - it's not uncommon for players of his stature. Just means we'll have to deal with Leaf fans openly drooling. :laugh:

This is McDavid's team and his legacy. We're going to have one of the best teams in the league for years. He's surrounded by young talent, and he plays in the best rink in the world. I'm not worried and you shouldn't be either.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If it happens, so be it. But seems like pretty weak speculation from the sportsnet guys with nothing to base it on.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I do three (so you keep him at RFA status for his next contract) or eight. No in between.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I do three (so you keep him at RFA status for his next contract) or eight. No in between.

This is all just noise from Toronto hopefuls. Still dreaming of McDavid in Toronto.

I don't believe McDavid will push the envelope on this contract in terms of salary. I also believe the contract will be standard bridge, 4 years or less for RFA status, or standard 8 years. I suppose if he takes a large discount he could negotiate 7 years.

I don't believe there is any reason for concern.

McDavid has shown true passion playing here. Honestly even more than I thought he would. He has become a friend, true leader, as well as a teammate by all accounts.

The Oilers have done a ton to improve the team and personal for McDavid.

Award nominated GM and coach.

New building certainly helps too. Wonder if many Oilers will be getting accomodations in Stantec Tower as well.

Solid prospects in the system and coming to sign here as well.

McDavid is due coin. He will get it. But he is all about winning and in all seriousness the Oilers give him the best chance of that. Not many teams have the environment to be a true cup contender AND can the cap flexibility like the Oilers do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
On the flip side if he does 5 and has significant injuries in or before year 5 he may have screwed himself even worse. If both Connor and Drai are serious about winning here they should both be maxed out on term. There's no reason why Chia can't ice a winner here, he's not Lowe or MacT.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
I have no problem with a 5 or 6 year deal as long as it's under 10 million per.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Kid seems to love the city and his teammates. Stamkos, Kane, etc did the same thing. No need to worry imo

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Kid seems to love the city and his teammates. Stamkos, Kane, etc did the same thing. No need to worry imo

Ya it's not a big deal either way. If it was a guy like Eichel I might be worried, but Connor has never been given me any reason to be concerned about him staying. He'll be a lifer

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Ya it's not a big deal either way. If it was a guy like Eichel I might be worried, but Connor has never been given me any reason to be concerned about him staying. He'll be a lifer

Good point about Eichel. He should walk. Pretty hard to play for a team that cried about drafting you as a consolation prize.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

I disagree. If McDavid only wants 5 years only, give him 5.
you don't play hardball with the best young player in the world.

let's say he signs for 5 years. to me it's simple.
if he hasn't won a cup in those 5 years, he's gone. if he has won at least one cup, he'd stay.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
This is good for everyone. Chia can't have a 7-year cup plan. With a guy like Connor on your team you need to be in the finals at least twice in the next 5 years. A 5-year deal would just light a bigger fire under the organization: surround this guy with the talent he needs, or else.

Personally, I have so much respect for Connor that I *want* him to have an out if the organization fails him. Suppose we keep trying to make Eberle work with him or fail to bring JP along correctly. At that point, the game of hockey needs a Connor who can say: "sorry guys, I'm out".

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
It's speculation by Friedman of a theory that McDavid'a camp could do like previous 1st OAs and ask for a 5 year.

Speculation of a theory that he may follow suit. Let that sink in.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
5 years at 9.7? Then, hopefully we have success in that time, and McDavid does a Crosby and signs long term for basically the same number in order to ensure he can continue having success and not cripple the team. Sounds like a dream, but doesn't stop me from hoping it happens :)

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Lots of superstars took the 5 year deal, but none of them ever left their original teams.

The only guys to leave in their primes recently were Suter and Parise, and those were pretty absurd contracts and neither are superstars, both stars though I'd say, at least when they signed the deals.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I'd prefer to get 8 years on this deal, but we shouldn't be too worried if he does want 5. As long as Chiarelli works hard to ice a contending team around him, things should work out for us. Connor doesn't seem like the kind of guy to walk away from a very good to great team - I've always had the feeling that he wants to leave a legacy behind him and not tarnish it by leaving. Plus, if he does sign a 5 year deal, I can't imagine that too many teams will even be in a cap position to be suitors for him in 6 years from now. Like, how would Toronto even pull off signing him anyway? - they would have Nylander, Matthews and Marner all presumably making big $$ already.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
Here's exactly how I envision the negotiations playing out if this is the case.

Chia: Hello Connor.
Connor: Hey Peter.
Chia: So here's a cheque for eight years. Fill in the amount.
Connor: Actually, I wanted a five year contract.
Chia: One sec.
*MacTavish produces a second cheque*
*MacTavish appears pleased to be contributing*
*Connor signs second cheque with desired salary*
Chia: Cool. Send Leon in on your way out. We're ordering pizza; what do you want on yours?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Any concern surrounding (as per Friedman) that McDavid's camp might be pushing for a 5 year deal (buying up only 1 UFA season)?

One of the theories is that what McDavid might do is copy some other star players who went for five-year deals, which gives the opportunity to have another big deal when he’s 25 years old
My only concern is that you interpret Friedmanns "theory" as some sort of rumour out of McDavids camp.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it means the Oilers can basically have him for 13 years, so his entire career if they get him to sign for 8 years after this first 5 year deal.

If we sign him to an 8 year now he'll be a UFA after the 8 years and can test the market.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is the price you pay when you have a superstar on your team. There is nothing to worry about here because this is a cap league and we have an owner that will pay to the cap. We can compete with any offer made down the road by another team if we choose to do so. We may have to make tough choices when that day comes like other teams have had to do. Whether McDavid signs a bridge deal now or he signs for eight years won't matter to me.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Here's exactly how I envision the negotiations playing out if this is the case.

Chia: Hello Connor.
Connor: Hey Peter.
Chia: So here's a cheque for eight years. Fill in the amount.
Connor: Actually, I wanted a five year contract.
Chia: One sec.
*MacTavish produces a second cheque*
*MacTavish appears pleased to be contributing*
*Connor signs second cheque with desired salary*
Chia: Cool. Send Leon in on your way out. We're ordering pizza; what do you want on yours?

Pizza? Where does Pulju slot into this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad