OT: Concern about Calgary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is anybody else somewhat concerned that the Flames are tied for last in the league right now? I certainly don't want them getting one of the top-3 picks this year (as they all look like potential franchise players). I know it's early, and they have a veteran squad, so they should move back up the standings a bit, but I'm already getting nervous. The perfect scenario is Calgary finishing around 9th, like they have the past few years, as it's guarantees that they wander in the desert for another year.

Am I jumping the gun here?

Last edited by a moderator:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
No, actually I would love to see them completely collapse after being so damn arrogant about how they are better because they are "rebuilding on the fly." LOL

Even if they pick top three they have nothing else in to supplement that player. It's gonna be a while before they're anything resembling good.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Kiperusoff and Iginla will be standing on their heads by the end of February. The only way they end up with a top pick is if they cave and ship both of them away before their annual surge to 9th or 10th.

Turrican*

No, actually I would love to see them completely collapse after being so damn arrogant about how they are better because they are "rebuilding on the fly." LOL

Even if they pick top three they have nothing else in to supplement that player. It's gonna be a while before they're anything resembling good.

This a million times.

Its like me being in financial trouble and saying I'll never be homeless like my friend.
And now I am close to losing my house...

Thats the Flames.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
As I said in the GDT thread:

I predicted the exact same thing last year - Calgary started and stayed for much of the year in the basement, and I said they'd make their "too little, too late" push to lose themselves a good pick near the end of the season, and they did just that. Calgary is a team that can only win when they play other teams that are coasting into the playoffs. That's when they pick up their wins.

They have just enough fight to not stop fighting, but not enough fight to win while other teams are fighting. That said, I think this board is better than "The Calgary Puck for Oilers fans" and would rather not focus on the potential downfall of a rival.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Nope, I hope they come last. Even if they dont bottom out this year, they will soon.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I'm actually more worried about Colorado. They already have Landeskog and Duchene. Potentially add Seth Jones and they become a reaaaal pain in a few years. Calgary will have Baertschi and.....that's it. Iggy and Kipper are likely gone by the time the high pick becomes an impact player.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kipper was the only thing keeping them from being worse than us last year. I've said this many times.

Look what happens when Kipper isn't so good. Sure it's only 5 games but the Flames have given up 21 goals in that span. (For comparison, the Oilers have given up 18 in 7. And that's with that horrendous Sharks game)

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
It would be funny especially after the last few years of them talking about how they were so much better than rebuilding the traditional way. I remember lol'ing last year at the deadline when they made no moves and kept their roster the exact same. I want them to finish 10th, but at the same time I want the Oilers to make a playoff push so its better for us if they bottom out this year.

Just hope the new lottery system screws themover and they can't pick one of Seth Jones or Mackinnon. And even if they get one of them, we have 4 franchise type players, they'd still be two down on us.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Although I live in Calgary, I refuse to dwell on the problems of the Flames.

I'm an Oiler fan, I don't care what Calgary does. The only thing I care about regarding the Flames is that the Oilers beat the Flames each time they play. Otherwise my life becomes a living hell for as long as it takes until the next Oilers/Flames game.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they get some new good young players. Makes for some exciting games over the next few years.

I can see it now, western conference finals with our young guns vs theirs. I just hope ours turn out to be better... Well as of now it's not even close. Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Schultz, Yak vs Beartschi and maybe mackinnon. I dunno we should be steam rolling them for years to come even if they get 1st overall this year.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I wouldn't worry about it too much. As you've seen with Iginla, it's not like they are going to surround their high pick with anyone that's actually going to be helpful. It'll be Nathan Mackinnon and his pack of plugs.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Let them come in last then lose the lottery, they still get #2 pick, but it makes them feel like Columbus.

Nobody wants to feel like Columbus.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It's way too premature to start talking **** about Calgary. Once we become a consistnet playoff team then we can talk all the smack we want.

That being said I do love to talk smack about Calgary so I will bite.

I agree that them going down the toilet this year would be bad as an Oiler fan. The reason I think this is because if they do tank this year it could open them to a solid start for a full rebuild similar to the Oilers.

Calgary tanks.

They trade Kipper asap and get a decent pick and/or prospect. The draft is deep this year.

They trade Iginla asap and get a very good pick and a prospect. The draft is deep this year. And they probably can resign him to finish his career in Calgary after trading him.

Roman Cervenka adjusts to the NHL hockey and sticks around long term.

Sven develops well into a true first liner. 5 years will be in his prime.

Basicaly if Calgary gets one of the bottom 2 picks they are laughing. If they manage to get another pick in the top 15 they are laughing. Some of thier prospects and young players are looking better than expected. Some solid drafting, a few lucky prospects, keep and develope thier young talent at the moment... and in 5 years they could have a solid team always in the hunt for the play offs.

Calgary misses playoffs by a small margin again and none of that happens and they consistantly get worse from now untill the next lockout.

It's funny. All the Calgary fans I know want thier team to tank. Are sick of Iggy and Kipper and want to watch some exciting hockey. I am blown away by how many Calgary fans want Kipper done. IMO he is the main reason why Calgary hasn't been a bottom feeder for years.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I want Calgary to be good. This rivalry has been dead for years. I want both teams to be good at the same time... I mean, how great would it be to see the Battle back in the playoffs again? It would be incredible. The whole Province would be nuts.

As great as the 2006 run was, I still wish the Flames could have gotten past Anaheim in the first round, so we could've had Cal-Edm in the second.

I take no pleasure in the Flames failing just as we seem to be turning a corner.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
It's way too premature to start talking **** about Calgary. Once we become a consistnet playoff team then we can talk all the smack we want.

That being said I do love to talk smack about Calgary so I will bite.

I agree that them going down the toilet this year would be bad as an Oiler fan. The reason I think this is because if they do tank this year it could open them to a solid start for a full rebuild similar to the Oilers.

Calgary tanks.

They trade Kipper asap and get a decent pick and/or prospect. The draft is deep this year.

They trade Iginla asap and get a very good pick and a prospect. The draft is deep this year. And they probably can resign him to finish his career in Calgary after trading him.

Roman Cervenka adjusts to the NHL hockey and sticks around long term.

Sven develops well into a true first liner. 5 years will be in his prime.

Basicaly if Calgary gets one of the bottom 2 picks they are laughing. If they manage to get another pick in the top 15 they are laughing. Some of thier prospects and young players are looking better than expected. Some solid drafting, a few lucky prospects, keep and develope thier young talent at the moment... and in 5 years they could have a solid team always in the hunt for the play offs.

Calgary misses playoffs by a small margin again and none of that happens and they consistantly get worse from now untill the next lockout.

It's funny. All the Calgary fans I know want thier team to tank. Are sick of Iggy and Kipper and want to watch some exciting hockey. I am blown away by how many Calgary fans want Kipper done. IMO he is the main reason why Calgary hasn't been a bottom feeder for years.
Let's convince Calgary's fans to pool together and buy the team, then we could do a 1 for 1 trade of Khabi for Kipper. Mr. Lottery would be of high value to them. ;)

Turrican*

I want Calgary to be good. This rivalry has been dead for years. I want both teams to be good at the same time... I mean, how great would it be to see the Battle back in the playoffs again? It would be incredible. The whole Province would be nuts.

As great as the 2006 run was, I still wish the Flames could have gotten past Anaheim in the first round, so we could've had Cal-Edm in the second.

I take no pleasure in the Flames failing just as we seem to be turning a corner.

You obviously don't love reading SuicidePuc... Errr CalgaryPuck then.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
well DUH? of course i'm more concerned about our problems, but i'm capable of holding more than 1 thought in my head at a time

Yes, I've noticed. But it's a waste of time to think about what team might be good based on a theoretical placement in a draft and their theoretical potential in the future.

But to each their own.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I have an avatar bet with someone on CP that we beat them in the standings, and it's looking good right now. They're arrogant and far more focused on us than we are on them so this pratfall looks good on them. I hope they keep the team intact for their usual middle-of-the-road finish just out of the playoffs, but that top them in the standings. Keep Kipper and Iggy and finish ninth or tenth. It would be wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad