OT: Concern about Calgary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Yes, I've noticed. But it's a waste of time to think about what team might be good based on a theoretical placement in a draft and their theoretical potential in the future.

But to each their own.

It's technically a waste of time to be doing anything other than suviving and reproducing. We will waste our time in the world no matter what, nothing wrong with wasting it on this.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Calgary's arrogant and smug attitude towards the Oiler style rebuild was certainly warranted wasn't it. Hanging on to aging vets, while filing in the holes with more aging vets, is definately the way they should go.:laugh:

Seriously though, these guys must have a certain level of pride that will motivate them, plus Iginla etc. are historically slow starters. I could see them turning it around and putting a few wins together. They have to be a better team than Columbus, Dallas in the west. Look for Calgary to get a bottom 5 lottery pick ....

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
Yes, I've noticed. But it's a waste of time to think about what team might be good based on a theoretical placement in a draft and their theoretical potential in the future.

But to each their own.

Sorry professor would you please indicate which topics are worth discussing and which are not so we may not embarrass ourselves again?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'm looking forward to the day when alot of Flame fans start eating crow and start cheering for a top pick after all those years of making fun of us doing the exact same. Looking at CP this morning, it looks like that has already started with their "Standings Death for Seth?" thread.

Also I'm surprised at Baertschi's slow start to the season after getting 3 goals in 5 games up in the Bigs last year. Kid also looks to be injured prone.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
schadenfreude_pic.jpg

Seriously though. I don't think Calgary is as bad as the standings indicate, but they really should have won that game last night.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
why do you guys like to go there so much? me, i absolutely detest reading hateful and overall bad things about my team, and they there seem to be very fond of it.

Yeah that confuses me as well. Its like someone going to a white supremacist forum and getting mad when they read things they don't like. What did you expect?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yeah that confuses me as well. Its like someone going to a white supremacist forum and getting mad when they read things they don't like. What did you expect?

It's because it's so delusional and angry that it's funny.

The fans there refuse to believe anything other than what Jay Feaster tells them.

I remember when Mike Peca gave his analysis of Jay Bouwmeester and the fans at CP absolutely blasted him for it. It was only years later that they realized he was absolutely right.

Here's the video for reference:

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Calgary's arrogant and smug attitude towards the Oiler style rebuild was certainly warranted wasn't it. Hanging on to aging vets, while filing in the holes with more aging vets, is definately the way they should go.:

By that logic, then, does anyone hate the Sens?

Go check out their League thread whenever the Oilers are playing... Unbelievably smug and arrogant... And always this talk about how Ottawa turned their team around the 'right' way with a 'quick' rebuild... Which is hilarious since they intended to do exactly what the Oilers did, but pulled off a lucky season last year where everything went right.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Tell me you don't slow down at an accident scene to see the gore. It's sort of like that.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Go check out their League thread whenever the Oilers are playing... Unbelievably smug and arrogant... And always this talk about how Ottawa turned their team around the 'right' way with a 'quick' rebuild... Which is hilarious since they intended to do exactly what the Oilers did, but pulled off a lucky season last year where everything went right.

They also had Craig Anderson. I'll never understand why Colorado let him go.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
I want Calgary to be good. This rivalry has been dead for years. I want both teams to be good at the same time... I mean, how great would it be to see the Battle back in the playoffs again? It would be incredible. The whole Province would be nuts.

As great as the 2006 run was, I still wish the Flames could have gotten past Anaheim in the first round, so we could've had Cal-Edm in the second.

I take no pleasure in the Flames failing just as we seem to be turning a corner.

You've gone soft my friend. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. Wishing Calgary to be that competetive team will backfire pretty quickly. Especially when they defeat us. Much like they did last weekend. We have much bigger issues than cheering for other cities franchises.

To OP, Calgary will battle for 9-10th at least. Fearing they will have a lottery selection fifteen percent into the season is overlooking our own battle to siege. We could easily be sitting in their ranking after one week of either bad luck or a team meltdown. I think its conceited or overzealous to think otherwise at this stage.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nah, Cervenka and Hudler are playing pretty well right now, and they haven't played as many games as the rest of the league. They'll be just bad enough to pick around 10 when it's said and done. I'm more worried about Washington getting a top 3 pick. My god they're a train wreck right now

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009

Go check out their League thread whenever the Oilers are playing... Unbelievably smug and arrogant
... And always this talk about how Ottawa turned their team around the 'right' way with a 'quick' rebuild... Which is hilarious since they intended to do exactly what the Oilers did, but pulled off a lucky season last year where everything went right.
Damn really? I know we have a few posters here that are also Sens fans so I wouldn't have expected that.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
They also had Craig Anderson. I'll never understand why Colorado let him go.

Even moreso. I'll never understand why Washington let Varlamov go. At least they Avs brass had a plausible plan for replacement. Not simply hoping an unproven in all circumstances sort of tender pans out.

The Dylanoid

Oct 4, 2008
Your Mom
We should be concerned about them because we can't beat them.

Also I don't think they're as bad as some of the posters around here make them out to be.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Damn really? I know we have a few posters here that are also Sens fans so I wouldn't have expected that.

Check out some Schultz threads, too. Its like no one can comment on any young defenseman in the game without Ottawa fans piling in to point out theyre not as good as Jesus Karlsson.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Might be their time. But you can never tell this early into a season.

Flames are often slow starters and then they get it going and have some really nice stretches. This year very well might be the same. I'm more concerned about the Oilers who in recent years have had a pension of starting out well and having the wheels fall off the tracks.

Regardless, if the Flames get their top 3 pick it will probably make for some excitement down the line when all their fans say how that one player is better than all 4 of our big guns :D

MetaOil1993

Jun 22, 2012
Edmonton
Yeah I am scared, Mark Jankowski will be lighting us up with Seth Jones shutting down the kids :sarcasm:

Nah nothing to be concerned about when it comes to Calgary, They will finish near the 9-10 spot in the west and outside the top 10 in the draft. Having a rivalry would be fun to watch though since I never experienced it in the 80's but I would rather smoke them in every game we play against the Flames ;)

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
You've gone soft my friend. All I can say is be careful what you wish for. Wishing Calgary to be that competetive team will backfire pretty quickly. Especially when they defeat us. Much like they did last weekend. We have much bigger issues than cheering for other cities franchises.

Way bigger issues. Agreed.

But c'mon... Who doesn't want to see the BoA mean something again?

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Calgary's arrogant and smug attitude towards the Oiler style rebuild was certainly warranted wasn't it. Hanging on to aging vets, while filing in the holes with more aging vets, is definately the way they should go.:laugh:

Seriously though, these guys must have a certain level of pride that will motivate them, plus Iginla etc. are historically slow starters. I could see them turning it around and putting a few wins together. They have to be a better team than Columbus, Dallas in the west. Look for Calgary to get a bottom 5 lottery pick ....

I'm looking forward to the day when alot of Flame fans start eating crow and start cheering for a top pick after all those years of making fun of us doing the exact same. Looking at CP this morning, it looks like that has already started with their "Standings Death for Seth?" thread.

Also I'm surprised at Baertschi's slow start to the season after getting 3 goals in 5 games up in the Bigs last year. Kid also looks to be injured prone.
The way they all look down on the Oil for rebuilding with their holier than though attitude, it would be wonderful to watch them eat a dink and have to rebuild. I would take great pleasure watching them go from making fun of us for "tanking" to fully supporting a Flames rebuild.

Turrican*

why do you guys like to go there so much? me, i absolutely detest reading hateful and overall bad things about my team, and they there seem to be very fond of it.

I only go there if we win and they lose haha
I didn't go there for 3 days after they beat us. :cry:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

Don't ever go read a poll thread involving the Sens and Oilers, it's disgusting. I used to like the Sens and their fans, after reading many of their threads I have to say Sens fans are my second most hated after Nuck fans, and I gotta say, a lot of Nuck fans have surprised me this year, many of them have been quite nice towards us and our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad