Composition of the defense...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Pairings are killing me too, Franson with us would have to be a 1st pairing guy because I don't think Krug-Franson 2nd pairing could work and they'll want to test Krug on the 2nd pairing, also Seidenberg-Franson 2nd pairing could be painfully low and We'd have a 6.2M 3rd pairing with that(Krug-McQuaid) and again the top4 would be painfully slow. I'm hoping Colin would be our 2nd pairing D playing potentially with Seidenberg on the 1st half of the season, same can be said for Trotman, but I see Colin bein a much better prospect and a fit into our lineup and for what is missing from our D group, he seems to hit everything thats missing.

Chara-Zidlicky
Seidenberg-Colin
Krug-McQuaid
is the group right now for me. O'Gara/Grzelcyk getting a look after their season ends.
= stay at home D with strong puck mover who lears the zone with speed or with strong passing.

Chara-Colin
Krug- Carlo/x
O'Gara-McQuaid
2016-,
then we'd still have Zboril, Grzelcyk, Arnesson ready to step up, if we lock 4-5 spots for years then how are we going to ever fit rookies into our lineup? We can't afford to pay for top players if we don't have strong ELC players on the roster and make us contenders= we wouldn't ice the best lineup as possible.

I see that my proposal answer to you being weaker because:

it won't
1) make us potential top teams in the East,
2)doesn't help our future at all, not allowing young players to step up and find their game/learn the NHL game in our retool year,
3)it would just harm our 2016- season when we'd be pushing lots of unexperienced players into the lineup at the same time and at the same time we would want to be top teams in the East.

Our season needs to have a meaning, purpose. Either be strong enough to do damage in the playoffs or get ready for future runs.

I honestly think Carlo is a few years away. In reality, is anyone from the 2015 draft class going to be ready before Krejci/Bergeron start their decline?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I honestly think Carlo is a few years away. In reality, is anyone from the 2015 draft class going to be ready before Krejci/Bergeron start their decline?

I thought I gave you lots of options there :laugh: I was surprised how well he did at the camp, everyone that were there are praising him.

O'Gara+Grzelcyk could atleast make the lineup after next season,
and that's where you could put that 1 missing top player, that's the base I see our D group or how it should look, Seids just can't be with us anymore after next season, I liked his game but it's starting to be the time to say goodbye.

Chara-Colin
Krug-x, Franson for 3years could be okay, but aim higher.
O'Gara/Grzelcyk-McQuaid

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
If that's Sweeney's masterplan and we get our elite potential D at the draft then I'll apologize to everyone :laugh:

I just want our season to have a meaning, do the groundwork for brighter/stronger future or build a potential top team that can do damage in the playoffs, but not doing neither of those and endip up with a 10-14 pick would drive me crazy, that's just risking the 2016- season as well.
I want us to be a top team in the East 2016-, so I'm praying Colin wins a roster spots and has next year time to find his game and step up, because after next season we'd have Colin, O'Gara, Grzelcyk, Arnesson, Carlo, Zboril pushing into the lineup and can you do damage with 3 D rookies in the lineup at the same time and would we play 3 rookies at the same time?
Do it in parts, Colin now, O'Gara/Grzelcyk after their season ends and then more fighting after next season, this means we need D spots and with Franson/Seids we'd have only 1 spot available and 5-6 kids pushing into lineup, that's just wasting money, stopping us from paying for a top player and not icing the best lineup as possible.

I think it's un-wise to put a kid in the NHL so that he can "find his game."

You promote him to the NHL when he's ready, and he's beaten others out at camp and he's proven to be one of the 6 best defensemen on the team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's un-wise to put a kid in the NHL so that he can "find his game."

You promote him to the NHL when he's ready, and he's beaten others out at camp and he's proven to be one of the 6 best defensemen on the team.

I had there I hope Colin wins a roster spot, meaning he wins a roster spot, but usually in your rookie year it's your time to develop, find you NHL game and step up, can't expect them to be #1D players right away. I don't know how else to call a rookie year, you play and at the same time keep developing/improving and learning NHL game so one day hopefully you can be a great top4 guy.

Of course I'm not saying he absolutely must be there, if Colin sucks in the pre season then he won't play but I can't see why would he, he is right now our #1D prospect and seems to have everything we want from our missing D player.
This team just has loved vets a bit too much and last year went great. I'm afraid that it's vets vets vets, have to have that experience no matter how badly they play or if we would have better/younger options available.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Me neither. Had this penciled in since draft day. Irwin and Miller are more than capable backups... I'd actually try to move Seids and put Irwin in the top 4.

Irwin is a spare-part dime-a-dozen D-man who has no business in the Top 4. He's a 7th D on a contending team on his best day.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia

This is also my fear. Particularly with the idea that our recently drafted defensemen are going to be ready to take over major roles in a year or two. It's not a knock on who we've drafted, I think some expectations are too much too soon for these prospects.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Okay, so if Colin Miller forces his way into the lineup:

Chara - Trotman
Seidenberg - Miller
Krug - McQuaid
Irwin, Miller

I don't see the problem here.

To me that's a solid defense. If they add a legitimate top 4 it will help, but I have no problem with the group you listed.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
To me that's a solid defense. If they add a legitimate top 4 it will help, but I have no problem with the group you listed.

I'll have to respectfully disagree that that's a solid defense. I think that defense likely stinks.

Don't get me wrong...I like the idea of giving some kids some ice to build for the future. But if you are rolling the dice on D1R and your second pair could possibly be healthy scratch level, you have a problem. Seidenberg could be close to done. Krug and Mcquaid haven't proven to be 2nd pair capable, and the rest are either unknowns or limited in talent. It has the potential to be a disaster. I think it's likely to be okay thanks to their coach and the odds one of the kids is decent, but it could easily suck.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Why?
That's your normal 3rd pairing money these days and he took a pay cut(McQuaid)...

No it isn't, and no he didn't.

And for the love of Ganja, people really Really REALLY need to stop pairing Chara with Trotman; that would be an unmitigated disaster.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
McQuaid is what he is. A great 3rd pairing guy, keeps the opposition honest, and intimidates. I couldn't imagine how soft this team would be without him.

In other news, I really want Sweeney to add Franson. For some reason, I have a good feeling about this one.

Cid

Jan 9, 2007
Canada

If Chara and Seids have another year like last, we are in trouble.

I'm not sure how people aren't worried about this defense? We are slower than last year and lost our one powerplay weapon.

Rask had a bad year, in large part due to the struggles of our defense last season. Once again we are slow, lack transition and have no real offensive flare. Hoping for no injuries to Chara and Seidenberg returning to form we are banking on a rookie and a guy coming back from a season ending injury to complete the back end.

Anyone who isn't worried about this group of defenseman is nuts. We are just as bad as Pittsburgh and Edmonton. Montreal and Washington among others will once again skate circles around this defense.

We have two aging guys on their final years and legs, Tory Krug, and 4-5 other guys who could all easily be 7th dmen on other teams.

I for one am concerned.

I think Sweeney has failed to fix our most glaring weakness.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
For UFA vet 3rd pairing players that's normal, and a bit less than some players have been getting. But still I don't get that signing.

On that last part we are in complete agreement. It was as if Sweeney was channelling his inner ChiaPet.

Also agree with previous post by Cid. Chara & Seidenberg are really gumming-up Sweeney's ability to find pairings that work.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I'll have to respectfully disagree that that's a solid defense. I think that defense likely stinks.

Don't get me wrong...I like the idea of giving some kids some ice to build for the future. But if you are rolling the dice on D1R and your second pair could possibly be healthy scratch level, you have a problem. Seidenberg could be close to done. Krug and Mcquaid haven't proven to be 2nd pair capable, and the rest are either unknowns or limited in talent. It has the potential to be a disaster. I think it's likely to be okay thanks to their coach and the odds one of the kids is decent, but it could easily suck.

It could be bad or good. We won't know until the games start.

But, absent the addition of a top 4, it's time to see what the youngsters can do. They might bomb or they might force their way into the rotation. Krug did it, Boychuk did it at age 25. Can C. Miller, Trotman or Morrow do it this year?

And I'm just not ready to write off Chara and Seidenberg yet.

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
Remember Sweeney probably watched more providence games than Boston. I would not be surprised if he thinks Morrow showed enough for Sweeney to feel comfortable with waiting to see how things shake out in camp.

Plus camp also changes lineups on other teams rosters depending on who makes it. If a young guy pushes someone out the door the Bruins could capitalize on that as well.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Cid has a point, if Chara and Sieds are still where they were last year this is going to be a very long season for us Bruins fans. The odds that they are better are just as good as that they are not. That's a scary thought. If we are injecting youth it would be imperative that we are injecting them into a strong base. If Chara and Sieds are what they were last year, that is not a strong base.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Cid has a point, if Chara and Sieds are still where they were last year this is going to be a very long season for us Bruins fans. The odds that they are better are just as good as that they are not. That's a scary thought. If we are injecting youth it would be imperative that we are injecting them into a strong base. If Chara and Sieds are what they were last year, that is not a strong base.

Chara played on a broken leg and torn tendon . Seids on a reconstructed knee . I'd say it a 90 pct chance they are FAR better than they were last season

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Yeah there is no doubt about it if Seidenberg and Chara struggle then they are going to be a really bad hockey team. And there is absolutely Nothing they can do to change that

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Chara played on a broken leg and torn tendon . Seids on a reconstructed knee . I'd say it a 90 pct chance they are FAR better than they were last season

That's what I tell myself , but 90% seems a bit high to me. And FAR better seems like a stretch as well. And here is a scary thought, what if they are worse?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

The big problem to me is that we have both of them, and both of them logging huge minutes(top2 probably), that can look ugly.

I trust Chara will be better, but his knee will never be 100%?
Then Seids was losing his step before the injury but the injury masked it, I hope he is much much better if he is still here but both of these are past their prime getting old and have had big lower body injuries.
These 2 as our top2 D's won't get us far, won't get us into playoffs, won't make us contenders so 1 one of them really needs to go.

The cap we spend on them limits our ability to pay for top players who could make us contenders, I like both of the guys but this is hockey and you need to ice the best team possible and say goodbye to one of them.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
No it isn't, and no he didn't.

And for the love of Ganja, people really Really REALLY need to stop pairing Chara with Trotman; that would be an unmitigated disaster.

I don't really think it'd be as bad as you're making it out to be.

Last year, Trotman's minutes and GA/60 with the Bruins defensemen:
Player TOI GA/60
Chara 136:45 0.44
Krug 96:16 3.74
Seidenberg 65:40 2.74
Warsofsky 45:09 0.00
Bartkowski 36:22 6.60

Other 4 defensemen (Hamilton, Morrow, McQuaid, Miller) he played under 10 minutes total with.

He played the majority of his ice time with either Krug or Chara. And with Chara, he was exceptional.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Player TOI GA/60

Other 4 defensemen (Hamilton, Morrow, McQuaid, Miller) he played under 10 minutes total with.

He played the majority of his ice time with either Krug or Chara. And with Chara, he was exceptional.

That's just few games sample size, the guy hasn't been able to do anything special in the AHL and now he is our 1st pairing D on a team that's trying to make the playoffs?
How is a player who hasn't been one of the best players in the AHL going to be a strong top4 guy to us, what is he going to bring on the table?

With Hamilton in the lineup we were lacking speed/puck moving/ transition/D-zone exits/offense, and our solution is to make everything worse, a lot worse.
This D would be one of the slowest in the league, average defensively and weak offensively, recipe for disaster.
Easy top10 pick, good chance for top5. I'm afraid what's going to happen next offseason/deadline.

Chara would have nothing left on the 2nd half with him playing in every situation and logging huge minutes, key minutes in every situation, risking him more to have another injury.

Last edited:

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen

Player TOI GA/60

So he barely played, and only one of these guys was half-decent defensively. Now what ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad