Composition of the defense...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I find the addition of Irwin interesting because, like Franson, he's a big body who's kind of a stay-home puck mover (as opposed to a Krug-like rover), who puts up points by getting his shot through and on net. Chara also has the ability to put up points from the backend while playing more of a stay-home role...

Chara - ????
???? - Franson
Irwin - ????

If they're able to compliment those guys with quick, offensive types like Krug and C.Miller, you could create a really dynamic defense that not only supports the offense, but could help drive it. For example...

Chara - Spurgeon
Krug - Franson
Irwin - C.Miller

No big names or big contracts on that defense (other than Z) but every one of those guys is a capable puck mover who could put up 30+ points. It's that kind of push from the backend that helped revitalize Calgary this year.

I know a lot of the current regulars aren't in that picture but could this be the kind of composition Sweeney is building towards?

Edit: Carlo and Zboril also fit that composition.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looking at whom was drafted, appears like Sweeney would like half the D-core to be the PMD style of player and the other half having that grit and nasty to their game?

Either way I`m intrigued, while I don`t think we`ll see the most fleet of foot D this year, in the very near future if those kids pan out (and that`s always a big if), could be very interesting to watch

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Responded in the Irwin thread, but I'll do so here as well.

I really like Jared Spurgeon. I actually like that defense.

But I don't see a lot of... Let's just say that's ideal as far as the composition is concerned. But I don't see a lot of options out there for the potential Spurgeon in your hypothetical.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

But I don't see a lot of... Let's just say that's ideal as far as the composition is concerned. But I don't see a lot of options out there for the potential Spurgeon in your hypothetical.

hinted about trying to get Prosser this past summer from the Wild but he re-signed I believe. Not a sexy name but solid, stay at home guy who has some decent wheels

Can Irwin skate? I`ve seen him play, but only on NHL15;)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Watched Going Wild on Jared Spurgeon and love the kid. Awesome

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Spurgeon is a great 2nd D-pairing player who is starting his prime, I'd love to have him here.

Wild will have cap troubles and they will re-sign Dumba over Spurgeon.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I'd like to add that part of this defense composition should be that every pair plays 18-22 minutes a night. Higher numbers for the 5-6, less for the 1-2.

This should be defense by committee, as I don't believe our top-end guys to be as top-end as we're used to. And players like Krug and McQuaid (who is both recently signed AND left off of your list) are better than your traditional 5/6 guys.

Evening out the minutes I think is going to be critical to getting the most out of a patchwork blueline.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Does anyone really think McQuaid is not in the line-up? If you do, your wrong. I think, not only is McQuaid in the line up but he's likely gonna be in the Top 4. At the very least he's going to get a shot at it. Nobody signs a player for 4/11 with a NTC and doesn't use him, sorry to ruin the fantasy but lets get real.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I'd like to add that part of this defense composition should be that every pair plays 18-22 minutes a night. Higher numbers for the 5-6, less for the 1-2.

This should be defense by committee, as I don't believe our top-end guys to be as top-end as we're used to. And players like Krug and McQuaid (who is both recently signed AND left off of your list) are better than your traditional 5/6 guys.

Evening out the minutes I think is going to be critical to getting the most out of a patchwork blueline.

I agree.

There is no way Chara & Seidenberg should be eating 20+ a game even if they return 100% healthy. That would be a recipe for burnout not to mention further exposure to injury which IMO are two things to be concerned about with those two at their ages.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I don't know. With all the big forwards in the league adding Spurgeon would make us to small, IMO.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Good post. We need to seriously think about the D composition. It's very weak right now.

We've added size, speed, and grit up front. But the D right now are slow as molasses. Slow last year, and then lost its best skater (Hamilton).

Signing Franson has transformed for me, from being "maybe" to almost a no brainer.

But then we need another #1D to replace Hamilton, and be our Chara in the post-Chara era.

Is that Spurgeon? I'm not sure. I'd love Shattenkirk or Jones, but those seem far out of reach...

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I think they are set at D. Between c miller and morrow one will be a full timer. I have confidence in Morrow. I love what what he did in his short stint. His breakout passes especially were crisp, quick and on point.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they add Franson then are they going to play him on the 1st pairing?
I'd love to see C.Miller getting a shot but it creates problems again if he doesn't

Chara-Franson
Krug-Seids
Irwin-McQ

I would hate that D group, easily one of the slowest D groups in the league with defensive question marks around it.

I would want to see without trades:
Chara-C.Miller
Seids-Franson
Krug-McQ
and have 2 elite/strong skaters, those 2 will provide offense using their speed and will clear the D-zone with their skating abilities. To me it sadly looks like Morrow is going to be in the AHL due to Trotman/Irwin.

C.Miller-Franson-Krug-Irwin would make sure that Chara doesn't need to be used on PP and allow us to limit his minutes, right now it's looking like his minutes are only going up when they need to be limited, same with Seids.

C.Miller+Irwin both have elite level shots so our PP won't lose anything if we take Chara out and we need defensive beasts if we want to do anything, Chara-Seids need to be strong shutdown D-players and I hope we create an enviroment where they can be.
In Seids I trust in on this, he won't play on PP anyways but Chara can't be asked to provide both offense and defense too much, he can't be a offensive leader anymore.

I'm ready to take for the Franson signing, kind of hoping him and dreaming of him becoming our JB2, but please do not ice one of the slowest D groups in the league, Sweeney has said time after time that we need to get faster and have better passes, that kids need to have a chance to step up so I expect him to keep those words.

Edit: Eklund is having fun and saying Bostons is high on Buff right now, has anyone heard anything around this from someone else than Eklund?
But just for fun:
Chara-Buff
Krug-Seids

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It's questionable if C. Miller is even ready to play in the NHL.. He's not going to be on our top pairing.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the defense is a big wet sloppy doody right now. i hope there's a plan beyond the baseball version of spray and pray.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's questionable if C. Miller is even ready to play in the NHL.. He's not going to be on our top pairing.

We don't have a 1st pairing D on this team and I really don't want to see Chara-Seids 1st pairing regularly.

C.Miller with what we got now would be pushing offense on that pairing giving Chara time to focus on being stay beast stay at home D and this team needs puck movers, strong skater or we can start looking into top10 picks next year, Krug can't do it on his own.
But at times they could lineup Chara-Seids on the D-zone starts.

If we ask Chara to provide offense, be a shutdown beast and play 22-26mins everynight then what does he have left in the playoffs?
It's about time to limit his jobs and minutes.

We don't have the top talent so we need to have balance in that D group, but right now it loooks deadly weak.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Looking at whom was drafted, appears like Sweeney would like half the D-core to be the PMD style of player and the other half having that grit and nasty to their game?

Either way I`m intrigued, while I don`t think we`ll see the most fleet of foot D this year, in the very near future if those kids pan out (and that`s always a big if), could be very interesting to watch

I think the draft showed he's looking for offense from everyone. Some are gritty and some are slick but they all have an offensive dimension, just like the guys he's brought in (C.Miller/Irwin) or is looking to bring in (Franson/Green).

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com

I don't know if he's available, I was just using him as a placeholder for the idea... Maybe Zboril can become that in time.

That said, I think I saw a thread about him on the trade board, so maybe he could be had...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't know. With all the big forwards in the league adding Spurgeon would make us to small, IMO.

There's also an emphasis on speed and the league is getting younger...

Chara is huge but struggles against speed. Spurgeon might not do as well against size but he excels against speed. Everyone has flaws.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honest question, should we pencil in Irwin for that 3rd pair LD spot?

I mean, he wasn't an everyday player for the Sharks last season.

Where does this leave Morrow? After 3 full AHL seasons what does he have to gain by going back to Providence again.

Right now they have 7 D on one-way contracts:

Chara - McQuaid
Seidenberg - Trotman
Krug - Miller
Irwin

Now they can move Seidenberg to the right-side and have Irwin in for Trotman or Miller if they want.

Either way I think C.Miller and especially Morrow are going to have to really impress in camp/pre-season to earn a spot on this years roster starting off.

I know depth is important but with 12 forward spots and 7 D spots occupied by players on one-way deals, doesn't seem like there is much room for any of the young guys like Morrow, Koko, Ferlin, C.Miller, Randell, Griffith, etc. to break camp with the Bruins, which is the same mistake they have made in previous years with depth NHL veterans having their spots already locked up for the most part due to one-way contracts.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Irwin is making 800k and seems like a perfect 7th Dman to me --a guy who will get to play lots of games averaging out the injuries for the top 6.

San Jose knows him inside out and wasn't interested in making him an offer even for dirt cheap and he was untouched (again, for cheap) as a UFA for a long time. We shouldn't pretend he is something he isn't.

As Dom reminded us of the other day, speed from the back isn't just skating, it is the ability to move the puck quickly in transition. Morrow brings the skating AND puck transition --I'll take him over Irwin (who is slow at both).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We don't have a 1st pairing D on this team and I really don't want to see Chara-Seids 1st pairing regularly.

C.Miller with what we got now would be pushing offense on that pairing giving Chara time to focus on being stay beast stay at home D and this team needs puck movers, strong skater or we can start looking into top10 picks next year, Krug can't do it on his own.
But at times they could lineup Chara-Seids on the D-zone starts.

If we ask Chara to provide offense, be a shutdown beast and play 22-26mins everynight then what does he have left in the playoffs?
It's about time to limit his jobs and minutes.

We don't have the top talent so we need to have balance in that D group, but right now it loooks deadly weak.

I'm worried people are too high on C. Miller. Few of us have really seen him play. We know he skates fast in a straight line and shoots hard with plenty of time to windup in a skills competition. Being a good skater does not automatically mean great puck mover. A pass is faster than any skater out there. Being a fast straight line skater does not make you a great skater. IIRC Bill Guerin won an All Star faster skater competition in the NHL...don't remember him taking it end to end much in real game situations.

I think everyone agrees limiting Charas mins is a huge priority, but I think doing it by putting him with a D that will get out of position and force Chara to panic skate to cover his mistakes is a huge mistake.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm worried people are too high on C. Miller. Few of us have really seen him play. We know he skates fast in a straight line and shoots hard with plenty of time to windup in a skills competition. Being a good skater does not automatically mean great puck mover. A pass is faster than any skater out there. Being a fast straight line skater does not make you a great skater. IIRC Bill Guerin won an All Star faster skater competition in the NHL...don't remember him taking it end to end much in real game situations.

I think everyone agrees limiting Charas mins is a huge priority, but I think doing it by putting him with a D that will get out of position and force Chara to panic skate to cover his mistakes is a huge mistake.

I'm sorry but I can't stand the idea of having Chara-Seids-Irwin/Franson-McQuaid-Trotman in the same lineup, I would hate that so much, so so so much and we can start looking at top 10 picks for next year.

You are going to need skaters in your lineup, passing skill does no good for us when we don't have the puck, the problems we had last year are looking a lot worse due to losing Hamilton without replacement player in the system.

I really don't like our D roster but you have to put some players on that, right now we have a 2nd pairing+ 2 3rd pairings and we are going for playoffs.
That D group is going to get killed.

And I've been saying all the time that we need to get faster and have better D-zone exits, meaning have more speed and have better passes to create more offense and spend less time on our D-zone, you can say all those things for C.Miller but none of our guys have strong passing skills, so now we don't have strong passers and we don't have strong skaters, how is that going to work exactly?
1/6 is not exactly enough.

Our D right now looks worse than Torontos' and they wouldn't mind having 1st overall pick next year while we want to play in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad