Composition of the defense...

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to Wisconsin
Chara played on a broken leg and torn tendon . Seids on a reconstructed knee . I'd say it a 90 pct chance they are FAR better than they were last season

I think we all hope you are right.

It would have been nice to have some talented defenseman ready to step right in. Instead Chia had to draft 521 centers.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Chara played on a broken leg and torn tendon . Seids on a reconstructed knee . I'd say it a 90 pct chance they are FAR better than they were last season

Seids had problems with both his knees in the past, when that happens your goose is cooked.

Chara is 38 and has played about 1500 professional games (including international). Chara also has a PCL problem that can't be fixed, he is literally on his last legs as a professional hockey player.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Seids had problems with both his knees in the past, when that happens your goose is cooked.

Chara is 38 and has played about 1500 professional games (including international). Chara also has a PCL problem that can't be fixed, he is literally on his last legs as a professional hockey player.

Unfortunately, I think this is probably correct. I imagine the recovery process is slower and less complete than with young players.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
ok , my bad. Your right about that though to a point, but how does us being bad make SJ's pick a lottery pick?

Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, Minnesota will be better than they were last year and all of them will be fighting for the wild card spot, it's going to be a crazy fight and I personnally can't see San Jose making it.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Dallas, Colorado, Calgary, Minnesota will be better than they were last year and all of them will be fighting for the wild card spot, it's going to be a crazy fight and I personnally can't see San Jose making it.

Hey, I'm all for SJ doing bad, infact I'm counting on it, I just don't assume they will be. To me they can finish as high as 7th and as low as last year, many things figure into that. If Jones proves to be a real #1 it could help them out a lot. They haven't lost anyone worthwhile and have added Martin and Ward as well so they should be better.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hey, I'm all for SJ doing bad, infact I'm counting on it, I just don't assume they will be. To me they can finish as high as 7th and as low as last year, many things figure into that. If Jones proves to be a real #1 it could help them out a lot. They haven't lost anyone worthwhile and have added Martin and Ward as well so they should be better.

And their top players are 1 year older again, Martin is not the same anymore also.

I just see that Dallas for example got better more than San Jose did, not saying San Jose is bad but the West is damm impressive.
La will fight next year, Colorado should look a lot better than they did last year, Minnesota's D is only going to get better, Calgary will be better or should be better with the kids improving.

But they are on a much much weaker division, if Calgary kids can keep improving then San Jose is out.

Last edited:

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
I don't really think it'd be as bad as you're making it out to be.

Last year, Trotman's minutes and GA/60 with the Bruins defensemen:
Player TOI GA/60
Chara 136:45 0.44
Krug 96:16 3.74
Seidenberg 65:40 2.74
Warsofsky 45:09 0.00
Bartkowski 36:22 6.60

Other 4 defensemen (Hamilton, Morrow, McQuaid, Miller) he played under 10 minutes total with.

He played the majority of his ice time with either Krug or Chara. And with Chara, he was exceptional.

If this were 2011, then both Chara & Seidenberg could handle being paired with Trotman for a significant length of time and help cover for him whenever he makes inevitable mistakes.
Unfortunately, both Chara & Seidenberg are four years older, four years unhealthier, and four years slower. It will therefore be nearly impossible for either of them to cover for Trotman's lapses on a consistent basis, if on any basis.
Notwithstanding Troman's success paired with Chara last season or WBC8's optimism on their prognoses, I am in the camp of those who believe that both Chara's & Seidenberg's days as top-4-calibre Dmen, especially top-4s who are breaking-in a less-talented rookie partner, are numbered; and that number could very well begin and end with a Zero.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Come to think of it, I think Clode is a perfect fit for this team going forward. I was skeptical after season's end, but then after coming to terms with the team today, he's the right guy for the job. They made the right decision there.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Do you think he can squeeze out 1-2 years of reasonably good play with reduced ice time ?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Do you think he can squeeze out 1-2 years of reasonably good play with reduced ice time ?

Even if you are talking about reduced ice time, it means that Chara will play in the 20-22 minute range. It means the Bruins don't have a number one defencemen, they have a 2/3 in Chara 4/5 in Seidenberg and a bunch of 6/7's to fill the rest. Even if Chara can play 'reasonably' well this year, it still means our defence stinks.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
likely morrow and miller spend another year in providence getting reps and perfecting the systems and make the B's the following season on a ful time basis. Seids will likely be moved so they can get out of the 4M for the next few years as he's too banged up to be worth it. they are missing the true #1 Dman that chara used to be and that DH could have been but they need to address #2,3,4 along the way as well in which they only really have Krug maybe morrow/cmiller. so Franson would be a healthy addition and could porbably work well in the B's system.

Chara-?
Krug-Seid
KMiller-Mcquaid
trotman/morrow/irwin

they need to move kevin miller and Seidenberg as soon as possible and trade for a yandle/seabrook type and sign franson. move some money on the back end.

next offseason CK 3M comes off the books, lucic retainer comes off and we'll be able to have some flex to sign a true #1 dman in the offseason.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Cid has a point, if Chara and Sieds are still where they were last year this is going to be a very long season for us Bruins fans. The odds that they are better are just as good as that they are not. That's a scary thought. If we are injecting youth it would be imperative that we are injecting them into a strong base. If Chara and Sieds are what they were last year, that is not a strong base.

And yet even with Chara playing injuried and Seids recovering from his ACL

The Bruins finished 8th overall in Goals against in the NHL

We're bringing back 4 D from last years team that was a top 10 Denfense and we got rid of Turnover machine Bartowski from our top 6...And Hamilton who was a great offensive player but struggle on D

I don't see why there is so much panic

With Even a slightly better Z And Seids and replacing Bart with Trotman or Colin this team will finish top 10 again in goals against

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chara is still a #1, especially defensively. Too much hype negativity on his game right now, it's turning his weaknesses (age, durability, skating) into these mythical mountains he cannot overcome.

It's not as bad, Chicken Little would be proud!

Chara is still capable of shutting down the elite offensive threats. He can still 'handle' big minutes. He is not 'barely' a top 4 defenseman now -- he is a top pairing #1 defenseman.

If I were Chara I'd be fed up with his naysayers, ask for a trade to a good team, and kick ass. Then the media can discuss what an unexpected miracle it is for his to mount a comeback against all odds, when he really did nothing out of the ordinary (for him).

Zdeno, if you are reading this I would love an autograph in exchange for defending you. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00