Compher

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Didn’t know he was the host of your delusional talk show. Can a mod please remove this idiot who keeps derailing talk about Compher?

Stop this dude from being critical about me so I can be critical about someone else...talk about irony hah

Reactions: Gargamaul

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyway, back to Compher—I actually didn’t mind his game tonight too bad. He wasn’t terribly noticeable either good or bad but I did see him make a couple good plays here and there.

But yeah something is very, very wrong right now and I don’t know what it is. He had a pretty disastrous season last year and it’s only gotten worse from there.

Just for shits and giggles here’s an RAPM chart comparing JTC and Jost. Nothing really shocking either way there.
723B3A71-36AE-43B5-89DD-BBBCB5E49079.jpeg

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Anyway, back to Compher—I actually didn’t mind his game tonight too bad. He wasn’t terribly noticeable either good or bad but I did see him make a couple good plays here and there.

But yeah something is very, very wrong right now and I don’t know what it is. He had a pretty disastrous season last year and it’s only gotten worse from there.

Just for shits and giggles here’s an RAPM chart comparing JTC and Jost. Nothing really shocking either way there. View attachment 396479

interesting. I don’t have a reference for RAPM, why is that your chosen module for reference?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
interesting. I don’t have a reference for RAPM, why is that your chosen module for reference?

I just like that it references multiple metrics and displays it in a user-friendly format. I’m by no means an analytics expert, but I prefer this to just looking at Corsi/Fenwick by themselves.

I’ve been meaning to look into GSVA, but that one is still somewhat new.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Aside from a few ugly goals Dong and JTC have had similar levels of impact this year IMO. One of them is being asked to play a role above and beyond their capabilities.

His contract isn’t good but bring in a legit 3C and I think we all go back to being fine with him on the 3rd line.

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
I just like that it references multiple metrics and displays it in a user-friendly format. I’m by no means an analytics expert, but I prefer this to just looking at Corsi/Fenwick by themselves.

I’ve been meaning to look into GSVA, but that one is still somewhat new.

multiple different metrics - which ones?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He’s always been overrated but even now the offense has completely dried up. He’s better than this but he’s not doing himself any favors by never shooting the puck. LOC gave Compher a little life tonight, he needs something to spark some energy.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Signs of life?

Last 2 games: 3 shots on goal.
Previous 10 games: 4 shots on goal.

His last two games are also by far his best games in terms of possession and chance creation metrics:

upload_2021-2-15_13-33-25.png

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Clearly the worst player on the team right now at 5v5.

COL

He's also playing proportially less against top lines:

comphj.95

The last couple of games have been a dramatic change for him as shown by the 3rd graph from the top (i.e. smoothed 5v5 Shots/60 for/against). That likely has something to do with getting more OZ shift starts as shown in the bottom chart.

What I take away from this is that he's not at all suited to a classic 3C 'shutdown' role with mostly DZ starts. He needs to be sheltered with OZ starts where possible if he's to find moderate success as a C.

comphj.95

Reactions: crue7

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Clearly the worst player on the team right now at 5v5.

COL

He's also playing proportially less against top lines:

comphj.95

The last couple of games have been a dramatic change for him as shown by the 3rd graph from the top (i.e. smoothed 5v5 Shots/60 for/against). That likely has something to do with getting more OZ shift starts as shown in the bottom chart.

What I take away from this is that he's not at all suited to a classic 3C 'shutdown' role with mostly DZ starts. He needs to be sheltered with OZ starts where possible if he's to find moderate success as a C.

comphj.95
Wow, great analysis. Doesn’t get any better than this. Absolutely love looking at stuff like this but don’t have the ability to find this stuff. Is there a website you get this from?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He's a horrible center. And its hard to imagine why any other random player can't be better at 3C. So he's being played out of position moreso than any player on the roster.

If he was playing at RW (where he belongs) are we discussing him differently?

We're diminishing his value by playing him at 3C. But we should be fair and acknowledge others might be equally bad if forced to play 3C.

Even if at 3RW, he's not so valuable that we should be devoted to him. Point of fact, we're paying 7.4 m for 3RW between he and Donskoi. Only Rantanen at 1RW makes more. Its kind of outrageous considering the talent on this team. So we pay 3RW 7.4 but meanwhile, we have no 3C.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Thank you! I was starting to believe that no one else noticed.
To be fair I think last year you could write down as an off year or something of that sort. But at this point it's a trend and there's a good chance this is who he is now.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
For me, Nichushkin's play is concerning too. He can drive net, mostly unsuccessfully and that's about it. I didn't like his game in the bubble either. His play is a far cry from the pre-covid Nichushkin we all fell in love with.

The question becomes, is Compher at center the black hole that brings all of his linemates down? Or this more in line with the 'real' Nichuskin?

All I know is if the first line isn't scoring, we probably aren't winning (unless we can play San Jose every game).

Edit - Since the bubble, Nuke has 6 points in 27 games. That's just not good enough...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2