Comparing Three Montreal Sports Icons Who Have Retired in Less than 12 Months

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I dont even know if it's top 20 unfortunately

Is hockey still not considered one of the top 4 pro sports leagues in North America? Their new TV deal should put them on the map even more, especially that used to be more of a gate-driven league -- which isn't the case anymore.

With respect to your above point, agree with you wholeheartedly. Every league has its lot of deadbeat players, who make questionable or downright despicable decisions or take actions unbecoming of a human being, but somehow, NHL players strike me, for the most part, as the most humble of the lot, not spoiled by their earnings and who are warriors through and through. Of course, I'm generalizing, but I do get the sense that they have that throwback mentality, of playing the sport mostly out of enjoyment and going all out while doing it, especially those players born in North America and who are engrossed with the meaning of hoisting the Cup.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Does Di Vaio fit the meaning of the word "icon". I bet he does his own grocery shopping.

If Di Vaio had an equivalent hockey career as a Hab, or an equivalent football career as an Alouette, no he wouldn't be an icon.

However you have to look at the age of the franchise.... the Impact can't compare to the Habs. As far as the Impact goes, he is their icon, their draw, their most recognizable player, best player and key to success. It will change in time... but right now... he's the most important player in franchise history.

Montreal has 3 Pro Sports Franchises.

DiVaio is the most important person in the history of one.
Calvillo is the most important in the history of another (post move from Baltimore, not counting original Als).
Koivu isn't the most importan player in the history of the Habs, but he was the key figure and best player of a dark era, and the face of the franchise for a while.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
Di Vaio was the better player in Montréal, but Nesta was an actual worldwide icon, which I would say is more impressive for this city.

Calvillo was definitely an icon here though, to imply otherwise is just bizarre. Football is very popular here, and most, if not all conversations around the Als were about Calvillo. He won, struggled, put all sorts of records in the uniform and had the personal battles that makes people relate to him. Plus he's the major reason one of our coaches went to the NFL.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Di Vaio? I've honestly ever heard name in my life. Not sure how he would be considered a sports icon...seriously?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
If Di Vaio had an equivalent hockey career as a Hab, or an equivalent football career as an Alouette, no he wouldn't be an icon.

However you have to look at the age of the franchise.... the Impact can't compare to the Habs. As far as the Impact goes, he is their icon, their draw, their most recognizable player, best player and key to success. It will change in time... but right now... he's the most important player in franchise history.

Montreal has 3 Pro Sports Franchises.

DiVaio is the most important person in the history of one.
Calvillo is the most important in the history of another (post move from Baltimore, not counting original Als).
Koivu isn't the most importan player in the history of the Habs, but he was the key figure and best player of a dark era, and the face of the franchise for a while.

Bob Kramer is the most important player in the history of Montreal's venerated tiddlywinks team. Why not consider him as well?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad