Compare Player A, Player B, Player C, Player D

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I'll give statistics from the past 2 years, we will assume they are all the same age and play the same position, all stats are for an 82 games seasons:

Player A-
18-19: 26 goals, 46 assists, 72 points, -2, 23 PP points
19-20: 19 goals, 39 assists, 58 points, +2, 15 PP points
*very good defensively, Plays on the PK, averages 17:02 minutes of ice time

Player B-
18-19: 38 goals, 41 assists, 79 points, +2, 22 PP points
19-20: 38 goals, 57 assists, 95 points, -5, 33 PP points
*below average defensively, Plays on the PK, averages 19:12 minutes of ice time

Player C-
18-19: 31 goals, 43 assists, 74 points, +15, 28 PP points
19-20: 31 goals, 52 assists, 83 points, +10, 28 PP points
*average defensively, Does not play PK, averages 18:07 minutes of ice time

Player D-
18-19: 33 goals, 33 assists, 66 points, -7, 15 PP points
19-20: 41 goals, 29 assists, 70 points, +15, 19 PP points
*above average defensively, Does not play PK, averages 17:50 minutes of ice time

Rank these forwards, just off the statistics!

Edit:

Credit to @bobholly39 he's got the "math vision" (the ability to see what could be instead of what is) as my DIFeq teacher loved to say. He saw that:
Player A=Barkov
Player B=Draisaitl
Player C=Mackinnon
Player D=Matthews

Each player had a .75 scalar multiplied to their paced out stats (over 82 games) for the past 2 seasons. This way it was still decently fair as every guy had their stats reduced the by the same factor. Ice time was multiplied by .85 since a .25 reduction of ice time was too drastic.

I was curious if Draisaitl/Matthews got less attention and Barkov got more since Toronto/Edmonton are probably the 2 biggest fanbases on this site and Florida is easily the smallest.

But most people ended up choosing around B>C>D>A
If anything it did the opposite of what I expected as it helped Draisaitl and Matthews a little bit since sometimes they were ranked over Mackinnon, but Barkov seems to be the consensus 4th.

I thought it was fun to do, and it made sense to alter their stats since these four are some of the most talked about guys on this forum, and thus their unaltered stat lines would be recognized immediately. I know just goals and points aren't everything and there are a lot of outside factors to consider when comparing players but I thought it'd be really fun to analyze the stats of 4 of the best young players in the league, in a different light!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dexter Colt

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With the information available, I'd probably have Player A last. That second year offense is kind of brutal for a top line guy, and unless the "very good defensively" essentially means Bergeron-level defense, then I think that lack of offense is too much to make up for compared to the others.

B-C-D-A

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
B > C=D > A. I ranked A last because of the drop in production. If he was a consistent 70p player then I would say he’s second. Plus minus is hard to gauge without context of the team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I got B-C-D-A, but I could’ve gone B-D-C-A as well (player C and D are roughly equivalent).

B is clearly the best, A is clearly the worst.

Again, not a lot of context but that’s what I got.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm confused how player B is below average defensively but plays on the PK.

For lack of better options on that team? It is possible that a player isn’t great defensively at the moment but is being asked to contribute to the team for his improvement and to balance out ice time.

Mitch Marner kills penalties and scores a ton of points. He’s average defensively at best.

Reactions: Brightwing

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Since these stats don’t match anyone, the rough equivalents are:

Elias Lindholm
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikita Kucherov
Mika Zibanejad

In which case it’s B-C-D-A.

That’s not perfect because these aren’t the actual players. Zibanejad does play PK. Kucherov’s past season was much better. It would be a toss up between B and C as 1a/b and D/A as 2a/b.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Since these stats don’t match anyone, the rough equivalents are:

Elias Lindholm
Nathan MacKinnon
Nikita Kucherov
Mika Zibanejad

In which case it’s B-C-D-A.

That’s not perfect because these aren’t the actual players. Zibanejad does play PK. Kucherov’s past season was much better. It would be a toss up between B and C as 1a/b and D/A as 2a/b.
They are real players...

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I would think they are , isn't that the point? Ie the reveal. Id take B given info i have
I’ll reveal tomorrow if no one figures it out in meantime.

I thought it’d be fun to truly strip the players of the jerseys that they wear, to create a truly neutral poll

If I exactly match the stats then anyone could look it up

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
You do know that once you alter the stats they’re not real players anymore?

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Yah but if they aren't altered it's incredibly easy to look up point totals by year. You may as well just put the players names in at that point

But in the end that’s the point. Raw stats aren’t going to be the end all. What team were they on? How old are they? What were their actual stats?

Pretending they’re the same age and played the same games, do you take:

27g 45a 72pt
16g 49a 65pt

Minus context, one is JT Miller and one is Roman Josi. What’s the point of comparing players under the false assumption that they all played the same number of games, all are the same age and all play the same position only to find out they’re different ages, played different numbers of games, had their stats altered and prorated (since no one played 82 games last year) and aren’t even all the same position?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00